This was a fantastic end to our garden route trip in South Africa. We spent 3 nights here from 23 - 26 November and had a great time. Most of this was thanks to our guide JC who was a great companion and teacher to us. The accommodation was very good and with a very big comfortable bed. We were in lodge 5 next to the main lodge which was very handy. The day starts with a 6am safari drive for 3 hours then have breakfast on return. You can if you want get the boat to the beach at Kenton-on-sea which is lovely. You get to spend an hour there which is half an hour away. The food ia great and staff are ever so helpful. Another safari drive takes place at 4pm for 3 hours so you get a sunrise and sunset drive. These are the quickest 3 hours of the day and the best. We were delighted to get as close as we did and to see as much as we did. I loved the elephants.
If I was to pick a downside to this place it's that you are with the same group of people for 6 hours in a land cruiser and you also have breakfast and dinner with these people too. This was great for the first 2 drives with 2 Swiss visitors but then we were joined by 6 Germans who were very rude and arrogant and spoiled our time. I think Kariega need to take into account that no one nationality should be so dominating. We were made to feel we were intruding on their holiday. Apart from this we had a great time thanks to JC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the banks of the Bushman's River, this Lodge is unique in that it connects a Big-5 Kariega Game Reserve to the sea. Our optional daily boat cruises ferry guests through the quaint sea side village of Kenton-on-Sea. Inside the Lodge guests can find a quiet spot in one of the lounges, page through a book in the library, enjoy the pool or take in the view from the magnificent deck which overhangs the river. Twice daily safari drives, guided walks, river fishing, canoeing and river trips are included. Accommodation, all meals and local beverages are also included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Hotel Kenton-On-Sea
- River Hotel Kariega Game Reserve