My husband and I have just got back from a stay at The Kariega Main Lodge.
Our Chalet (No.24) was a large 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom affair which was spacious, clean and well presented. The open fire in the Living room was a nice addition, along with the large viewing deck overlooking the reserve and our own private plunge pool.
The food throughout our stay was excellent with several choices at each mealtime and a weekly BBQ with South African singing from the friendly staff.
The Bar was a excellent meeting area before and after the game drives, where everyone shared their encounters and experiences of the animals.
Our Ranger, JP made our stay extra special. His knowledge and professionalism were exceptional he truly has a passion for animal and what the Game Reserve represents. JP went above and beyond the duties required of a ranger to assist me and my partially disabled husband, nothing was too much trouble, a great asset for the reserve.
The Game Drives were very informative, we learned so much about the animals, flora and fauna, what you can eat to survive and how to track and follow the different animals, what an experience. The morning and evening drives were varied so that you can see as many different specie of animal as possible, the sunset drives inclusive of nibbles and drinks was truly wonderful, watching the sunset over the reserve was magical. We also experienced a special night drive to view the nocturnal animals and view the hippos out of the water, along with an afternoon river boat cruise. We came up close and personal to a lion on our night drive and enjoyed ever second. At no time did we feel unsafe or frightened we had a great adventure. JP also took us to a very special place on our bush walk where we picnicked until the sun went down. The Holiday was also made extra special by the other two couples we shared the Game Drives with, we hope to keep in touch and share our photos.
Our time on Safari flew by, and JP ensured that our holiday was a truly memorable experience, this really was a Holiday of a Lifetime and we hope to visit the reserve again one day soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the banks of the Bushman's River, this Lodge is unique in that it connects a Big-5 Kariega Game Reserve to the sea. Our optional daily boat cruises ferry guests through the quaint sea side village of Kenton-on-Sea. Inside the Lodge guests can find a quiet spot in one of the lounges, page through a book in the library, enjoy the pool or take in the view from the magnificent deck which overhangs the river. Twice daily safari drives, guided walks, river fishing, canoeing and river trips are included. Accommodation, all meals and local beverages are also included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Hotel Kenton-On-Sea
- River Hotel Kariega Game Reserve