Just returned from 4 night stay at River Lodge and our first visit to South Africa. Chose Kareiga based on travel agent recommendation (smaller than Kruger so more likely to see something) and were not disappointed. River Lodge is fairly small max about 20 people so intimate and friendly, setting next to the river is lovely with decking to sit out on and lovely log fires in the lounge at night. Had Rhino suite , nothing like waking up to look out over the bush and see Giraffe on your doorstep. Rooms were large, comfortable and clean with all amenities. Bathroom was huge and plenty of hot water, some aspects of the plumbing were a little old fashioned but you are in the bush! Food was lovely, plenty of choice, great brunch after an early morning drive. You eat with your guide and others on your vehicle each day and staff were attentive and helpful. Some nice touches like chocolates on your pillow at turndown and a hot towel and aperitif when you get back in the dark from your last drive. Also liked the drinks stop on the evening drive, standing in the bush watching the sun go down.
We were lucky to only have only 4 people in our vehicle for the first three days and 7 on the last day as it got busier for the weekend. Overall what made it for us was our guide Chris, nothing was too much trouble and he had such a wonderful passion and enthusiasm for his job. He had a wealth of knowledge and answered all our questions. Whether it was flowers, plants, Birds (he had numerous bird calls) Reptiles (his favourite) or the big five, Chris managed to find and show us so many things. Whether stopping to pick up a baby Praying Mantis or to avoid squashing hundreds a baby frogs, or getting really up close and personal with a Rhino or lions we had a wonderful time.
If you get the chance take the River cruise, well worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the banks of the Bushman's River, this Lodge is unique in that it connects a Big-5 Kariega Game Reserve to the sea. Our optional daily boat cruises ferry guests through the quaint sea side village of Kenton-on-Sea. Inside the Lodge guests can find a quiet spot in one of the lounges, page through a book in the library, enjoy the pool or take in the view from the magnificent deck which overhangs the river. Twice daily safari drives, guided walks, river fishing, canoeing and river trips are included. Accommodation, all meals and local beverages are also included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Hotel Kenton-On-Sea
- River Hotel Kariega Game Reserve