We stayed three nights at Forest Lodge and were lucky enough to have two of those on our own. The boat trip up river to the lodges was a wonderful introduction, to be greeted by a delicious buffet lunch and then escorted to our 'tent' (we had No.6 overlooking the river) before the evening game drive. The tents are large, with rustic wood furnishing, sofa and armchairs, plenty of storage, a large bathroom with outdoor shower and a stove for cool evenings. The food was excellent, our guide, Cameron, was very knowledgeable and informative, and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
We saw lots of wildlife but this is not the place to see massed iconic big game as you do in east Africa, where we have also been on safari. All these eastern Cape safari lodges are relatively new creations, cover a relatively small area and are constrained by fenced public roads and other safety rules. The lions at Sibuya, for example, are in an enclosure of their own and are fed with meat thrown by catapult. Still, we were able to watch the antics of two delightful lion cubs, and watch their father mating with another female. We also saw buffalo, elephant and white rhino, so four of the big five, as well as other animals.
While big game numbers are few, Sibuya is fantastic for its huge variety of birdlife (we spotted 65 different species, with Cameron's help), the clouds of beautiful butterflies, including three types of Swallowtails and the African Monarch, carpets of colourful flowers, along with the stupendous views. We had fun filling in the checklist of what we saw and the only negative I can think of for Sibuya is that it does not have a good butterfly identification book!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big 5 Sibuya has more navigable river than any other game reserve in South Africa. The unique experience starts immediately with a 45 minute boat transfer from the village of Kenton-on-Sea to River or Forest Camp - luxury en-suite tented accommodation nestled in riverine forest and constructed in an environmentally conscious manner. Luxurious Bush Lodge, situated just outside the main Reserve in a pristine indigenous forested valley, is accessed the same way and then guests are transferred by game drive vehicle to the Lodge. All buffet-stlye meals & beverages are included - as are canoeing, fishing, swimming, birding etc. Add-on activities at a nominal extra rate include massages, horse riding on the beach and golf. An abundance of wildlife from Elephants to Otters and prolific bird life await you. Guests are hosted and guided by a team of experienced knowledgeable professionals who ensure a memorable personalised stay which will leave you saying 'Sibuya!' - 'We will return!' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sibuya Game Reserve And Tented Camp
- Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp Hotel Kenton-On-Sea