Reviews (1 424)
1 424 results
All reviews free shuttle executive floor the river city hall subway station tour group top floor direct access large hotel within walking distance breakfast buffet bell staff old world bit dated comfortable rooms non smoking corner room
101 - 106 of 1 424 reviews
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Visited with hubby as part of the Titan "Essence of Japan" tour.

Very impressed with this hotel & their wonderful staff. My husband & I were sent on early to this hotel as I had unfortunately become unwell on the tour & our Rep arranged for us to be sent to the hotel earlier than the other guests. The welcome & extremely quick transfer to our room by the amazing staff was wonderful. The staff couldn't do eonugh to assist.

I was able to completely relax & recover & stayed in bed the next morning. I booked a massage in my room which was wonderful. Prices reasonable.

The hotel is beautiful & rooms are a good size, clean & confortable.

The only issue I have is that I don't like queing for breakfast but again the friendly staff did all they could to make move people through the restaurant as quickly & efficiently as possible.

There is a bakery in the hotel eat in or out, & there are plently of shops around outside.

We would definitely recommend this centrally located & lovely hotel.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

This hotel is outstanding. We arrived after a long day of traveling and the front desk staff knew who we were before presenting ID. They prepared our room for the three of us to have our own beds. The room was spacious and quiet. And 3 of all toiletries were available. The staff are so happy and helpful. The hotel location is within walking distance to most everything we wanted to do and very easy by subway or taxi to get around.
Fantastic stay!

2  Thank kimberlypN1782JY
Reviewed 10 May 2017

We booked the Okura on Booking.com, as that appeared to be the way to do it. This is considered a 5-star hotel for Kyoto and we were confident in our choice. The location is the best, close to the Kyoto City Hall, Pontocho Street (tons of great restaurants) shopping of every kind (including Teramachi Street and others). It is not extraordinarily expensive compared to the Ritz which is in the same area, though it isn't cheap. It was a good choice (for a larger hotel) based on my wife's extensive research.

When we checked in, we were surprised to smell old cigarette smoke in our room. We quickly learned that we had been given a smoking room on a smoking floor...a rarity for us (and we are international travellers). When we then requested a non-smoking room, they said that we had requested a smoking room (we had not) and offered to "deodorize" the room for us (not an option, in my opinion, because A. it doesn't work and B. we would still be on a smoking floor). An hour on the phone with Booking.com (they were surprisingly helpful!), we learned that the booking window on their site had an area to specify smoking or non-smoking (we had to search for it) and even then, the hotel did not "guarantee" that the smoking/non-smoking request would be available at check-in. Clearly we had made the mistake of missing this key piece of booking information and had not specified either (in this case, Booking.com's window should have forced a choice to bring attention to the fact that the choice was there) and it had defaulted to a smoking room choice. In the end they offered (and we accepted) an upgraded room that was non-smoking for a significant extra charge per night. I have to say that the upgraded room was nicer than the initial smoking room, but we would have been happy with the first room had it not been a smoker's room.

Secondly, the description of the hotel on Booking.com states that there is a fitness facility as one of the amenities. Indeed there was, but they don't state (on Booking.com or the hotel's own web site) that it is a private club that "allows" hotel guests to use it for a considerable charge (about $25 USD if used in the morning and about $35 USD if used after noon) and by reservation. It is misleading, in my opinion, to list a health club/pool as an amenity without making it clear that the cost of using it is not included in the room cost.

We enjoyed our stay in Kyoto after a rocky start and will be more vigilant in the future about such things.

Room tip: We were in 1818, a corner room with windows on 2 sides and a great view...and a non-smoking room!!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank rweissred
Reviewed 4 May 2017

A large, comfortable hotel located adjacent to Kyoto City Hall and directly connected to the Kyoto subway system. The hotel has a number of dining options (Japanese, Japanese-Westerrn Buffet, Chinese-Western, plus others). Friendly helpful staff. Convenient to east side attractions and shopping, including the Nishiki Market. Convenient laundry service. I very much enjoyed my four-night stay.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank paso57
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed with a tour group so unable to comment on price but all the facilities we used were first class and we slept well. Air conditioning was quiet and effective and the breakfast was a real feast. Large hotel on 17 floors with a shopping precinct underneath.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple