Birdwatching in The Gambia - CLOSED
Review Highlights
knowledgeable birding guide Abdoulie Ndure

Birdwatching in The Gambia Marakissa Birding guide Abdoulie Ndure If you are looking for a... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
jockeydaddy
Toronto, Canada
Omar Barry - Bird Nature guide

Our wonderful driver asked around and had Omar Barry, who is a member of the Bird Guide... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
LPHDK
Copenhagen, Denmark

All reviews bird watching bird guide his knowledge different species tendaba camp local guide great guide in addition real gambia kotu bridge bird species abuko nature reserve brufut woods making sure eagle owl rice fields local area
Reviewed 2 March 2018

Two of the very best bird guides are Malick Suso and Karanta Camara. They are both great guides and great guys! Karanta is president of the Gambian birdguides and it was our pleasure to have him assist on a 10 person tour of the coastal region. I am an ex wildlife TV cameraman, naturalist, TV presenter and professional wildlife guide and having Karanta along with us was amazing. He is such a good spotter and phenominally knowledgable as well as making sure that everyone in the party saw all the birds we saw. Great advice, great knowledge and care about the guides and hois country. I would so recommend him to anyone.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank DeeDoody
Reviewed 14 February 2018

5 days ago I returned from a wonderful week's birding in the Gambia. Before the trip I had booked Musa Manneh, one of Gambia's official birding guides based on Trip Advisor reviews.
Musa trained initially at Abuko nature reserve and was amazing. His ability to hear and spot birds and mimic their calls was impressive. Overall I saw 216 species. We did some birding day trips from the coast but I enjoyed most going down river and visiting Tendaba but particularly Georgetown.
Before going, I thought Georgetown (now known as JanJanbureh) was a bustling city.... far from it- it's an island within the Gambian river. Musa organised a couple of river boat trips where I saw some great eagles, other birds such as the African Finfoot and also some unexpected bottle nose dolphins! One evening at dusk we went to watch some long tail nightjars hunting. There were a number of stops en route including a red throat bee-eater colony and raptor bridge. Also saw some great owls including the African Wood owl and the Verreaux's eagle owl. I'm interested in history and culture and Musa also made time for me to visit the Wassu stone circe and a lovely little museum - the Kankuran museum in Georgetown which I can recommend.

If the main purpose of your trip is birding you are best to organise a birding guide before you go. There are a number of people masquerading as birding guides when they are not.

Date of experience: February 2018
2  Thank LondonKateA
Reviewed 8 February 2018

On 3rd January I went with a friend to The Gambia for birding, and Lamin was recommnded to us as a guide.
A superb recommendation.
Lamin is a wonderful bird expert and observer. He knows where to find every bird you ever wanted to see in The Gambia. His hearing is acute and knowledge of bird calls and mimicry excellent. So he can call to birds and they respond to him. His powers of observation are extraordinary.

We really enjoyed our 6 days with Lamin. We saw, all in all over 260 bird species while we were there.

I highly recommend Lamin to anyone keen on birding in the Gambia. He will find all the birds for you.

J and H

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 4 February 2018

We went out with Bakary 3 times in December when we visited Kotu in the Gambia. He is an excellent bird guide and very knowledgeable, both with identifying the species we saw and also the bird sounds. We saw a lot of birds, over 60 different birds on one trip, and without him guiding us we wouldn't have seen anywhere near the numbers we did. He was punctual, polite and friendly. We also liked that he wrote down all the birds as we saw them, so we had a list to refer back to later and that he took time to ensure that each of us saw the birds as he spotted them. We will definitely try and go with him again when we return in the future and wouldn't hesitate in recommending him to others. Thanks Bakary.

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 30 January 2018

We were really lucky to end up with Ansu Dunor as our private guide for several day excursions and a 5 day up river tour of some of the best bird and wildlife locations in The Gambia.
We had 3 different day excursions from Kotu Creek with Ansu. We went to Brufut, Abuko Forest, Lamin ricefields and Marikissa Nature Reserve, as well as a late afternoon walk around the Kotu Creek area.
Our 5 day upriver tour took in the north bank of the Gambia River, Georgetown, Baboon Islands, Tendaba and the south bank of the river. As well as road stops for wildlife in interesting places, we also had 3 boat trips - seeing not just amazing amounts of wildlife, but also the "real Gambia".
Ansu arranged everything, including a personal 4WD car and competent driver, accommodation on a B&B basis, boat trips, park fees and ferry crossings for myself and my wife. All for a very reasonable price.
As a private wildlife guide, I cannot recommend him highly enough. Ansu started by listening to what we wanted to do, our experience in wildlife watching and tailored the entire trip to exactly suit us. He was extremely knowledgeable, excellent at finding and spotting birds and animals, which he interspersed with interesting facts and tips on identifying species. He was patient and always made sure we found the wildlife he had spotted. He was also honest, humble and good company. It was clear from encounters with other groups, mainly birders and photography tours, and their guides, that Ansu was not only widely known and respected, but they deferred to his extensive knowledge.
For any tour guide, the real test is when something goes wrong. The vehicle ferry at Georgetown had broken down, potentially leaving us stranded on the wrong side from our accommodation. The first we knew of this was shortly after arrival, when Ansu told us of both the problem and his arrangements with a local boatman to take the four of us and our luggage direct to the accommodation's landing stage while the car would be cared for by a small platoon of the Gambian army! All the arrangements for the accommodation were the best on offer to provide us with the best location for our wildlife experience. Thanks to Ansu, everything on the trip ran smoothly, and we were safe and happy at all times.

We were amazed what we saw - Monkeys, Hippos, Crocodiles and even Chimpanzees - in addition to over 230 species of birds. If you are at all interested in Gambia's wildlife and/or birds, please do not hesitate to book Ansu or find him at Kotu Bridge bird guiding centre.

Date of experience: January 2018