“Fantastic Birdwatching with Hassan Gindeh”

Birdwatching in The Gambia
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Marakissa
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Although I am a keen birdwatcher in the UK, we hadn't intended to spend too much time birding in The Gambia as we were only there for a week. I did want to do a little though so contacted Musa (mentioned in other reviews) who wasn't able to guide for us that week but kindly arranged an alternative guide named Hassan Gindeh. Hassan has a website and can also be found via the official bird guides at the Senegambia I believe.

I'm so please that Hassan was our guide. He was incredibly knowledgable, courteous, funny, reliable and great to spend time with. As an official bird guide trained at Abuko, he knew how to maximise the time we had with him to find as many species as birds as possible. Despite only spending two mornings out with him, we clocked up an impressive 104 species - many of which we would have had no chance finding (and in many cases identifying) without him. We visited Lamin Lodge and Brufut while there. We enjoyed our time with Hassan so much we intend to return to The Gambia in the next couple of years to do a four day trip up river. I truly cannot recommend this young man highly enough. Thank you Hassan!

1  Thank or3ad
"eagle owl"
"rice fields"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 2 March 2018

Two of the very best bird guides are Malick Suso and Karanta Camara. They are both great guides and great guys! Karanta is president of the Gambian birdguides and it was our pleasure to have him assist on a 10 person tour of the coastal region. I am an ex wildlife TV cameraman, naturalist, TV presenter and professional wildlife guide and having Karanta along with us was amazing. He is such a good spotter and phenominally knowledgable as well as making sure that everyone in the party saw all the birds we saw. Great advice, great knowledge and care about the guides and hois country. I would so recommend him to anyone.

1  Thank DeeDoody
Reviewed 14 February 2018

5 days ago I returned from a wonderful week's birding in the Gambia. Before the trip I had booked Musa Manneh, one of Gambia's official birding guides based on Trip Advisor reviews.
Musa trained initially at Abuko nature reserve and was amazing. His ability to hear and spot birds and mimic their calls was impressive. Overall I saw 216 species. We did some birding day trips from the coast but I enjoyed most going down river and visiting Tendaba but particularly Georgetown.
Before going, I thought Georgetown (now known as JanJanbureh) was a bustling city.... far from it- it's an island within the Gambian river. Musa organised a couple of river boat trips where I saw some great eagles, other birds such as the African Finfoot and also some unexpected bottle nose dolphins! One evening at dusk we went to watch some long tail nightjars hunting. There were a number of stops en route including a red throat bee-eater colony and raptor bridge. Also saw some great owls including the African Wood owl and the Verreaux's eagle owl. I'm interested in history and culture and Musa also made time for me to visit the Wassu stone circe and a lovely little museum - the Kankuran museum in Georgetown which I can recommend.

If the main purpose of your trip is birding you are best to organise a birding guide before you go. There are a number of people masquerading as birding guides when they are not.

2  Thank LondonKateA
Reviewed 8 February 2018

On 3rd January I went with a friend to The Gambia for birding, and Lamin was recommnded to us as a guide.
A superb recommendation.
Lamin is a wonderful bird expert and observer. He knows where to find every bird you ever wanted to see in The Gambia. His hearing is acute and knowledge of bird calls and mimicry excellent. So he can call to birds and they respond to him. His powers of observation are extraordinary.

We really enjoyed our 6 days with Lamin. We saw, all in all over 260 bird species while we were there.

I highly recommend Lamin to anyone keen on birding in the Gambia. He will find all the birds for you.

J and H

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 February 2018

We went out with Bakary 3 times in December when we visited Kotu in the Gambia. He is an excellent bird guide and very knowledgeable, both with identifying the species we saw and also the bird sounds. We saw a lot of birds, over 60 different birds on one trip, and without him guiding us we wouldn't have seen anywhere near the numbers we did. He was punctual, polite and friendly. We also liked that he wrote down all the birds as we saw them, so we had a list to refer back to later and that he took time to ensure that each of us saw the birds as he spotted them. We will definitely try and go with him again when we return in the future and wouldn't hesitate in recommending him to others. Thanks Bakary.