Reviews (1 251)
1 251 results
All reviews wedding venue wedding breakfast wedding reception groupon voucher master suite spa facilities lovely hotel steam room secret escapes evening meal relaxing break four poster bed night break lovely grounds relaxation room my partner no lift
29 - 34 of 1 251 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Rowton Hall looks great, the staff are incredibly attentive and the public areas of the hotel are really pleasant.The bedrooms are in desperate need of refurbishment and as spoiled what should have been a really pleasant stay. Shame.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We checked in and that afternoon I had a stroke. My wife realised that something was wrong and went to reception to ask for the hotel doctor. One of the staff came at once to the room with her and dialled 999. The ambulance arrived and thankfully. long story short, I survived. My wife and our friends then were accommodated at short notice and due to the fact that our original room hadn’t really been used we were not charged for it. I can’t thank the staff enough for their kindness to my wife and their calmness through the whole situation. I doubt very much if we will ever be able to return to your beautiful hotel, but we will never forget you.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank raywill
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had stayed here before for my birthday via an offer which included a stunningroom, dinner and access to a pool and sauna. I decided to bring my new partner here via booking.com Alas when we arrived we were informed the pool was closed for renovations. The main reason why I chose this location was this. Our room was upgraded as a consequence however this too missed some key things. There was no information about the dinner menu, Wi-Fi password or spa facilities. The room also had no heating and included no extra blankets.. we just had a thin sheet . Overall was disappointed with lack of facilities and not being informed about them . I would not have stayed it is known.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plane451385
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We went to stay for mainly 3 days but 2 nights on a chill out well needed break. In lovely grounds, peaceful, secluded and off the beaten track we thought the location brilliant and just what we wanted. The peace and quiet of the place was just what I needed. No children. Love children but not for this type of break. First I'll mention the good things - the hiccups later:

The staff are brilliant. Young staff in the main but always had a smile, always willing to help and do anything for you, very attentive to our needs and are a SUPERB credit to the hotel. So often these days you come across people who can't be bothered or look miserable and you wonder why they take the job but not so here, quite the reverse. Always willing to spend time chatting if you wanted to and nothing too much trouble. Well done to you all - management give them a pay rise please or at the very least a nice treat !

We arrived early and were welcomed into the lounge bar where we had a bar lunch. Nice and comfortable with french doors out onto the outside terrace overlooking the garden. Only thing I would mention here is that the menu does not match the menu up in the bedroom for same place so whether they've changed it I don't know. I'd fancied a prawn sandwich but it wasn't on bar menu and was on the room one. I probably should have asked so that one is down to me.
Reception sorted our room out for early check in for us which I appreciated and we had a lovely twin room with an outside balcony overlooking the garden, very clean, nicely furnished and comfortable. Hail to the coffee making facilities of which there were plenty of provisions not the usual struggle at some places when they don't leave you enough out.
For October it was a hugely hot first day so the balcony was welcome as was the cooling fan left in the wardrobe for use. All windows opened to fresh air. What I loved was plenty of lighting in the bathroom for doing my make up whereas often lighting is low and you can't see it properly for us ladies which is very annoying.
Food in dining room was good and breakfasts were plentiful plus if you asked for extras it was no problem at all.
Each night the chef sent out a little extra taster which was lovely and indeed very tasty.
Great wine & drinks menu.
We used the pool which is very nice and I like the lounge area to sit in at the Spa. I had a hot stone massage and the girl who did this was, again, a delightful member of staff and looked after me brilliantly guiding me to a relaxing lounge afterwards where I could sit for as long as I wanted to.

Now to the hiccups I'm afraid and for those who read my reviews you know I'm fair and honest:

** On the way home when I looked at the bill I noticed I'd been overcharged by £11 on our bottle of wine first night - not too happy at that. I thought I'd checked bill at hotel but missed this !
** First nights dinner I did not get my pepper sauce which was supposed to come with it which I love and fortunately was almost at the last mouthful of my steak when I moved the salad and found somebodys long black hair (not mine I'm blond !) on my plate which put me right off. I quietly mentioned it to the young waitress so they could be aware for future who apologised profusely but I felt it extremely unfair that she was left to deal with me on her own and no-one came to apologise. I "could" have been a very awkward customer and she should have had some back up because after all it was probably the kitchens fault not hers all she did was deliver the food !!
**We felt the menu was limited to some extent. There is no 'A La Carte' if you wanted it and if you decided to stay there for a week you would be bored of the same menu choices. There was Steak - with a £6 additional supplement which we felt unfair given restriction of choice , Cod, Lamb, Gnochi and Duck. I had Steak both nights the 2nd night being better than first but either they need to make the menu smaller and change it daily or expand it much more. If you only stay there one or 2 nights its not such a problem I guess but the Lamb was quite rare so that didn't suit me so then I was limited.
** Although our bathroom was lovely and warm with plentiful supplies of courtesy toiletries the only problem was that the shower - which was nice a big - did not drain away properly. Its a good job we both didn't want showers straight after each other because that would have been a NO.
The 2nd night I wanted a leisurely shower and hair wash but had to cut it very short as the water was up to the top of the shower tray in no time almost flooding out onto the floor. The lady who cleaned our room had told us that morning she had phoned the problem down and someone would come up to sort it but they didn't !! Not good !
Same thing with the basin as well. My suggestion is that if this is a major plumbing problem they need to get it sorted out fast !
** The Pool: Apparently they were about to close the pool for 3 weeks due to works needing to be done as either its going too cold or too hot. When we were there the Steam Room and Sauna were already closed but we were NOT told about any of this prior to our stay which is rather annoying as it was to be a large part of our stay otherwise we'd have gone to any other Hotel without a pool etc. Bit naughty not to ensure we knew.
I'm not a tiny lady but the bath towel I was given would barely go round a midget. My son is slim and he said the same thing so it wasn't just me. Where are the large bath sheets you need in a place like this which you expect in a Spa !
** The Spa: As I said was lovely except I had been told I would be issued with a robe and slippers but I wasn't and once in the Spa proper I felt out of place in the lounge after my massage as I was the only person still in street clothing not to mention it would have been much more relaxing.
** The balcony outside our room is a shared one with next door. I believe the rooms can be adjoining if required. However although the rooms accommodate 4 in total there was only one chair for each room out there and we had to drag dressing table chairs out there to sit out and chat. OK not the end of the world but no need for it what does another chair cost ?

** There is No lift that we could find so please check this if you have trouble with stairs as we had to go up a narrow, quite steep staircase to our room. Didn't bother us but like I say check for yourself.

Would we go again ? Not sure. From point of view of staff and location of place yes definitely but its all looking a little bit tired and given the hiccups above I'd have to be certain it was the best on offer but when you consider Carden Park is close by which has better, more modern up to date, facilities and then one or two others nearby I'd have to think very carefully where I spent my money which is a pity I feel as it is a lovely location and could be quite superb.

Hope this is of some help to anyone thinking of going and if you go then hope, like us, you have mainly good experiences. I did come back feeling better for the break and just felt it a pity the hiccups happened.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank chrissie9949
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Upon arrival went to the room and there was an issue, however the duty manager dealt with this very quickly. Moved us to an appartment which was lovely. Food great, not rushed at breakfast or evening meal. Spa was good and due for refurbishment this week, which will improve experience.

Room Tip: Room near reception or an apartment.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple