Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 August 2020

Went for a birthday dinner. Only people there. One child got very sick from food poisoning from chicken. Staff very well- meaning but not highly trained. Eg we were eating mainly in the dark despite repeated requests to borrow the lighter in order for us to re light candles. And we were rushed through the meal - it was clear the staff just wanted to finish and we saw them leaving before us at the end of the evening

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2019 via mobile

My partner & I chose the hotel based on its supposed 5 star rating, but frankly, 2 stars would be generous. There was a shortage of staff, the only minimal saving grace of the ‘hotel’ being the front of house manager, Panos; hot water in our bathroom was unavailable on three separate days, and on two of said occasions, no running water was available at all: I appreciate that the building is an historic one of the 18th Century, but I do not consider this as a justification for a five star hotel, indeed any hotel, depriving its guests of hot water on three separate occasions by failing to maintain its water system properly. We complained about this on two occasions, and on the one occasion we did not complain, this was because it had been on our arrival, when Panos had informed us of the lack of water.

There was no service, attendant, or barman at the unstaffed pool; at the pool, there were insufficient sun loungers for the number of guests (six loungers, four of which were filthy & in poor states of repair, & ten rooms (ie facilities for up to twenty guests) in the hotel)), & due to the lack of staff, the only means for one to obtain a drink when poolside was to hope against hope that one of the few members of staff would appear to replenish the towels atop the disused & unstaffed bar. The polished wet stone floor beside the pool was extremely slippery, & naturally dangerous (trip advisor reviews have accurately described it as a “death trap”), indeed when we arrived we were advised to “be careful” of this: of course, this was good advice, & perhaps no more than should have been said in circumstances where guests (including myself) have slipped & injured themselves, but to put it another way, a speech given on arrival to a hotel advertising its rating as five stars & charging its guests accordingly should not effectively be ‘this is our delightful pool area: enjoy your swimming, but be careful that you don’t slip & break your neck on the hazardous floor that we, the hotel owners, installed & maintain without any matting or other preventative measures’.

When unplugging my charger from a wall socket in our room, I was far from surprised to find that the wall socket dislodged itself from the wall, plug attached: the hotel was literally & figuratively falling apart. It was also unsurprising when we were informed by hotel staff that “this sort of thing [the plug socket] happens all the time”.

To echo the views set out by some of the other disappointed guests who have reviewed the property on trip advisor, the breakfast offered was & is insufficient for any four or five star hotel.

The cold meats & cheeses on offer were cheap, tasteless, & could in no way be described as something any discerning customer would select, given any choice in the matter; the one type of bread available for making toast was thin, mass-produced, & cheap; the one heated tray offered cheap bacon & a daily altering variety of either baked beans or cheap mini frankfurters: these items were frequently tepid, given that in our eight days at the hotel, the heated tray & toaster were rarely turned on; it was only when I noticed that the plug was in the socket, but the socket was turned off, that I became aware of this: sadly yet another indictment of the low attention to detail & painfully few members of staff.

I am a well-travelled man with high standards, who has, in this case, paid handsomely for the privilege of expecting such standards to be met: I do not feel that I should moderate my legitimate views where a hotel advertising itself as a five star property & charging accordingly repeatedly fails to live up to even the minimum standards one might expect of a four or five star hotel. My partner & I take our holidays to relax, & enjoy our time away from the day-to-day stresses of Business & the Law, but I am sorry to say that our stay at Torri e Merli was not a relaxing or satisfying affair: it was a disappointing & stressful one. The above series of failures represent a grave disappointment to us, for which we deserved to be compensated. I commenced a lengthy correspondence with the hotel & our travel agent (as an intermediary) and was denied any compensation, indeed I was accused of having damaged a chair in the hotel (the first I heard of this was when I raised my complaints) - I caused no such damage(s), and said accusation was, much like the idea of the hotel as a 5 star property, a complete fantasy. I was further accused of threatening to post poor reviews of the hotel if I did not receive compensation: this is also a fantasy. Frankly, I could never have posted anything other than a damning review of the property.

Torri e Merli: an historic 18th century property, in that modern standards of safety, electricity, running water, service, & cuisine have not yet arrived.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank fuengerrowan
Reviewed 19 October 2019

Stayed here second week of September for six nights. We would have checked out after first day if we hadn’t prepaid through our agents CV villas who recommended it. The room was damp, dirty and mosquitos came in through the large gap at the bottom of the front doors. Our wardrobe had almost no hanging space, the tv had only four Greek channels, the shower had black mould growing all over the stone wall which formed one side of it. The condiments were so minimal there wasn’t any conditioner let alone shower cap, cotton wool etc. The pool was disappointing too with a strange inch deep shallow end and a dirty algae encrusted rim around the edge and a large wooden drain cover that pivoted down four inches when stood on. The metal sun loungers were very crude with no cushions and there were no poolside towels readily available and when we requested some they were frayed and tired looking. There was no poolside service for that matter either. Breakfast was unbelievably poor served from a rather crude windowless outbuilding. Tinned fruit was on offer and a very limited buffet selection. Earl grey tea bags ran out and the clueless waiter had no idea what a flat white coffee was. Table cloths had holes in and this venue doubled up as a supposed gourmet restaurant which we only ever saw one couple using (dinner was included in their secret escape package). We paid around €500/ night to stay here and in our opinion it was only worth a third of that. The calibre of management was also sadly lacking and although Panos was a very pleasant person he was clearly out of his depth running this hotel. Our room did have a proper deep clean mid way through our stay and we were offered an upgrade but the alternative accommodation was difficult to access up steep stairs where as at least our room opened up into the garden with our own table and chair outside.

1  Thank puryhill
Reviewed 1 October 2019

A tranquil position above the charming (now yachting) harbour of Lakki. The hotel is a beautifully adapted Venetian villa tastefully and comfortably furnished. Very few rooms mean that no guest overlook another but there is ample accommodation around the good sized pool. The restaurant/breakfast areas is charming and with a willing and polite staff the breakfast are good and evening meals excellent. The walk to and from Lakki harbour with its fantastic choice of Taverna's is nowhere as daunting as may be made out, not for the infirm but a pleasant daily walk that is well worth the effort as is the walks to adjacent coves and beaches

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 September 2019

My husband and I spent 10 days at this most exquisite boutique hotel near the fishing village of Lakka, Paxos. On arrival we found Torri e Merli to be even more beautiful than the website had described. From the moment of arrival, greeted by hotel manager, Panos, and brought a refreshing lemon drink by Vangellis, we felt all our stress just melt away. The hotel is quite exceptional in its beauty. Set in amidst huge olive trees, it has been tastefully, thoughtfully and sympathetically renovated and restored. Our room, Narciso, was beautiful - large, spacious lounge area, big bedroom and beautiful glassed in bathroom. A huge, old, antique armoire to store our clothes, view of the sea and olive trees and a feeling of total tranquillity. Lovely outdoor eating area for breakfast and dinner - both excellent, a large swimming pool with lots of loungers around it and views, views, views. Tables and chairs set in intimate spaces around the garden where one could just sit .... ponder and take in the beauty. Mention must be made of Panos who is a most professional, personable and friendly young man. Managing a boutique hotel is a very different job to a huge, impersonal multi roomed hotel. Panos has this down to a fine art. He is delightful to talk to, very informative and helpful - nothing was ever too much trouble. He is supported by excellent, professional staff. It was difficult to tear ourselves away when it was time to leave ....