Reviews (1 550)
1 550 results
All reviews leisure centre bar food salt restaurant relaxation room coach house bar self catering steam room outdoor jacuzzi full body massage afternoon tea steak thermal suite hotel bar relaxing break saturday night following morning top class
103 - 108 of 1 550 reviews
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Really fabulous hotel from the minute you drive through the gates! Plentiful parking, swift check in, friendly staff, AMAZING lobby areas, Stunning rooms with comfortable beds & Really really clean.
We had food in the bar and it was fantastic, quick and friendly servo, very tasty and reasonably priced too. Looking forward to going back.

The only thing that let it down for us was that we were here to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary (not married in hotel).
I had ordered and paid for chocolate dipped strawberries on the day of arrival.
When we entered our room, they weren't there. I rang down to reception and asked about them and was told they would be sent up. After 40mins they still hadn't arrived so we left the room to go for dinner but I informed the lady at reception that they could just leave them in our room for us. On our return a couple of hours later they still weren't there. It wasn't a big deal but it just would have been nice to have something a little extra towards celebrating our first anniversary.
I mentioned it upon check out and we were refunded, I was happy enough with that and it certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay & Looking forward to returning sometime in the near future. :)

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
JFHavel, Guest Relations Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Dear Nauny,

Thank you for reviewing The Johnstown Estate on TripAdvisor. Your kind words mean so much to our hard working team. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience in our Coach House Bar and that you found the rooms both comfortable and clean. We have passed your comments on in relation to the chocolate dipped strawberries in your room and we do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Estate in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

We arrived in late afternoon after a long day of driving and were pleasantly and enthusiastically greeted by the receptionist. The desk area is very cozy and warm, much like you are being welcomed home. After a long walk through the restaurant and bar area and down a hallway, we arrived at our twin-bedded room (which was a bit of a surprise, as I thought I had booked a deluxe king—and after settling in, I checked my documents and found that I was correct.) Feeling too tired to bother with the error, we headed to the bar for a bite to eat. The food was fine, but not remarkable. Our server was very pleasant and attentive. Returning to the room I took a delightful, long, hot shower in the first large and fully enclosed shower stall in all of Ireland (at least in my 2 times visiting)! The bathroom was completely modern, including the steam-free mirror and separate, deep, soaking tub. The bedding and furniture in the room were not to the same standard of design and newness, but were in good condition. We had an early flight home so we were not able to experience the breakfast or the spa and fitness amenities. Maybe next time! The drive to the airport was 30-35 min, and it was great not having to fight traffic in the city centre.

Stayed: May 2018

Dear Christine W,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Johnstown Estate on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and we have taken all your comments on board in order to keep improving our customer service. We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Estate in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

We only booked a standard room but it could do with a bit of a do up. Wallpaper a bit depressing and coming off in places. Also stains on the carpet. Unfortunately for us the room that we were in was near a door/fire exit the people kept banging into the evening.
Then we decided to go for dinner where we were told that the mostly empty restaurant was fully booked. We were not told upon check in that we needed to book for dinner, and a little amused that we could not be fitted in. To the bar we headed where I had a very nice chicken burger however my partner had a lamb shank that he described as mostly fat. A further disappointment was the fact that there were 4 unusual cocktails (2 whiskey based) on the menu and these were the only cocktails the bar were willing to make, not a Cosmo nor a Mojito would they provide. Again a bit amusing considering the most popular cocktails are Cosmos and Mojitos. The bar only catered for those that are gin lovers with many options. So on that we retired to our room....at 9:30, not wanting to spend any more money in an overpriced bar. So over all a big disappointment and I can see why the 'excellent' is only at 44%. Our expectations were definitely too high.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andy P
JFHavel, Guest Relations Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Dear Andy P,

I would like to thank you for your recent comments and we take your feedback very seriously. Your review has been sent to our Restaurant and Bar Manager for review.

We are in the final stages of our refurbishment and all standard rooms will be upgraded shortly. I hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the estate in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Great hotel. Food in the bar was unreal. Not a lot to do in the local area on foot unless you love a good trip to Tesco express. Outdoor spa was brilliant. Could do with a bit more tourist information maybe in the rooms or at reception. Staff were helpful throughout . I'd be back tomorrow if you throw in a steam room in the health centre

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aaronmcguigan
JFHavel, Guest Relations Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Dear Aaronmcguigan,

Thank you for reviewing The Johnstown Estate on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear you found the staff helpful and you enjoyed your dining experience in the Coach House Bar. We have taken all your comments on board and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Estate in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

We stayed here for our friends wedding recently. We had a lovely day. The food was good and the staff were polite if not overly friendly. All was going ok until, after having been up late spending a lot of money in the hotel bar at the wedding, we were awoken at 8am with power tools being used in the room beside us. We rang down to complain and that noise stopped but banging continued from renovation works. On check out, nobody apologised. I asked to speak to the manager. He offered barely an acceptable apology and the only recourse offered was to be upgraded to a suite should we choose to come back in the future. The whole experience really put us off and I will probably not be back.

Room Tip: Ask what floor they're doing renovations on!
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola K

Dear Nicola K

I am disappointed to read your review following our meeting on the morning of your departure, once again I wish to apologies for the short disturbance caused. Upon this issue being brought to our attention we immediately instructed our overly eager team member to stop works.

Nicola I am pleased to confirm that we are now in the final phase of our bedroom renovations where the remaining works are painting and wall papering.

We do hope you revisit us to experience the wonderfully renovated bedrooms.

Best Regards,

The Johnstown Estate Team.