“Idyllic holiday gite in Burgundy”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Fleur de Lys

In the salon
Fleur de Lys, 2 Rue du Vau Enjoy a meal in the courtyard - or the views from the sun terrace!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Fleur de Lys, 2 Rue du Vau
Enjoy a meal in the courtyard - or the views from the sun terrace!
La cuisine
The main bedroom - with both a double and a single bed - adjoining the bathroom
Bedroom 2 - with both a double and a single bed
Bedroom 3 - with two single beds
The spacious bathroom
Downstairs shower room
View from the sun terrace
Route National (N6) 'Road to the sun'
The old jail on the main road
Eglise Notre Dame - 12th century Romanesque church
Vermenton Port
The old lavoir - public washhouse
Vermenton Port
Parc-des-Iles - a lovely place to have a picnic!
Vermenton Station - trains to Auxerre and Avallon, and direct to Paris
A lock on the Canal du Nivernais
Auxerre -the beautiful medieval city which is the capital of the Yonne department
Benedictine Basilica of Vezelay with relics of St Mary Magdalene - an important place of pilgrimage
Notre Dame Church and old jail
Grape vines on the rolling hillsides
Boulodrome - in the Parc des Iles
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
761annmt
St Georges, France
“Terribly disappointed at the standard of cleanliness in this property.”
Reviewed 31 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

After reading such excellent reviews about this property, we were really looking forward to enjoying our stay. We were met at the house by John, the owner's representative. He spent all of 5mins handing over the keys, telling us that the oven was "terrible" and told us that, because he had sciatica, he couldn't show us around. After he'd left, we unloaded our car and, after a long day, I decided to have a bath. It was then that I noted how dirty the bath was - there was a great black "tidemark" all around. We were disgusted and my husband called up from the kitchen telling me that the kitchen surfaces were filthy and hadn't been cleaned. There were used tissues on the floor in 3 of the rooms, In short, this property had NOT been cleaned at all. I telephoned the owner who told me that her cleaner had sciatica and that the mess must have been caused by a previous guest!! She arranged for someone "to clean up" whilst we went out BUT only the bath was cleaned - nothing else. What a shocking way to run a holiday rental business!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
4 Feb 2015
I'm sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be there on that occasion, but John is an old hand at meeting and greeting and even if he's suffering he always ensures all the necessary information is given. In any case, I email guests beforehand with detailed information about the house and surrounding area to help them make the most of their stay.

I agree that the oven wasn't working as well as most do, but this has now been changed, and the replacement is fine.

Although my regular cleaner wasn't available, the house had been cleaned, as it always is when guests leave. John thought it was clean, but I got his sister to have a look, as she rents out holiday accommodation and knows what standard is required. She said that the house (including kitchen surfaces) was clean, but the bath was "dusty" - if anything! I arranged for it to be cleaned immediately, and then checked again to make sure.

I have several guests who return year after year as they are more than happy there, and indeed I would welcome you back at any time.
Sarah M
Potterspury, null, United Kingdom
“Idyllic holiday gite in Burgundy”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

We have just spent two superb weeks in Fleur de Lys. We found the property to be so much more spacious than we had anticipated. Our four children, three of whom are teenagers, had the top floor to themselves which we all really appreciated! The rooms are all tastefully furnished, retaining the french charm we were hoping for. We spent many happy hours, glass in hand, on the sunny courtyard/patio and enjoyed the sun terrace not only for the sun but also late night star gazing! We had a packed holiday, visiting all the local attractions - Vezeley, Avalon, swimming in Auxerre, the caves, markets, restaurants and local towns' celebrations and fireworks and so much more. Our favourite spot to visit daily is always the Parc des Iles (5 min walk,) which has to be the most relaxing place anywhere. Paris was easily accessible for a day trip where we packed a huge amount in. Fleur de Lys is certainly the perfect holiday home to either use as a base to access the many charms of Burgundy or simply to spend time relaxing in the lovely property. We would love to return.

Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The location and space in the property
Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
9 Sep 2014
Many thanks for your kind remarks. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed all that Fleur de Lys and the surrounding areas had to offer, and I'm delighted that you will be returning, you are always more than welcome.
Tim P
Folkestone, Kent
“Characterful Gite in a Great Location”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

From the moment we were met at the Gite by the lovely Carol, for whom nothing was too much trouble, we just knew this would be a great holiday.

The cottage itself is charming with lovely living room and kitchen downstairs and a really lovely outside area: not huge, but great for eating outside and catching the later afternoon sun. Kitchen had all we needed: the oven wasn't the hottest ever (hob was fine), but OK for our needs.

Lots of bedroom space upstairs with the children really loving their rooms on the top floor.

Although there was no parking directly outside the property (street is too narrow) there was plentiful free parking just 50m away: it never caused a problem.

Vermenton is a lovely place to be: 2 boulangeries within 5 minutes walk, the (very good) ATAC supermarket even closer than that, and a small selection of bars and places to eat. The riverside beach (right by the campsite / football / basketball pitch) is lovely nice river swimming, lots of grassy space to sit / sunbathe / picnic and playing spaces for the children. There was a lifeguard most afternoons: not sure why as the river was slow running and looked very safe!

Recommend the Chablis market on Sundays, the Grottes D'Arcy and Caves de Bailly: lots of other things to see in the area, but they were all good.

Despite a week of fairly variable weather we had a great time and there is plenty to do locally: if we ever look to go back to the Burgundy area, we'd be delighted to stay at the Fleur de Lys again.

Travelling group: Young Children
Families with young children
15 Aug 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks - I'm delighted that you all had an enjoyable holiday.

I've just had my own holiday here with my family, and I agree with you about the oven - so I'm changing it asap, hopefully next week.

I'm always happy when guests return - you would be more than welcome.
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 7 July 2013 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: bedrooms are gorgeous and it has a lovely backward garden
Liked least: can't really think of anything really
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
9 Jul 2013
I'm glad that you liked it so much that you're coming back again this year. Returning guests are more than welcome, and I'm sure there will be many places you didn't get a chance to visit last time. Hurry to get in touch and book - availability is going fast!
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Liked best: The quirky layout, comprehensive contents & the courtyard
Liked least: Downstairs shower
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
14 Jun 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! I appreciate your comments on the water pressure in the downstairs shower - I will get that looked at, but I will definitely look into getting a shower curtain or screen put up in the bathroom as soon as possible.

I'm impressed with your itinerary - you certainly made the most of your week in beautiful Burgundy! I'm so pleased that you had a good holiday and I welcome you back any time..
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing