“Close Encounter”

Wild Cat Experience Tour
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in The Crags
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tenikwa grew from humble beginnings in 2002 when the owners started rehabilitating injured birds in a wooded shed behind their house. Today Tenikwa has grown to be one of the largest active Wildlife Rehabilitation Centres in the Western Cape, attending to a diverse variety of animals accepting both terrestrial and marine mammals and birds. Rehabilitating injured and abandoned Wildlife with the goal to release them back to the wild. Our centre rescue, rehabilitate and release between 250 - 450 wild animals annually. We work closely with nature/conservation authorities in our area, CapeNature, SANParks, BirdLife, and SANCCOB. Our Awareness Centre ensures that our Rehabilitation facilities are sustainable, funding the rehabilitation work and to raise awareness of the conservation issues in South Africa, Tenikwa offers various, programs throughout the day, catering for all ages and fitness levels with a focus on providing a conservation-based, informative tour. Guests learn about the indigenous wild cats of South Africa and why they are disappearing from our landscape.Species include African Wild Cats, Serval, Caracal, Cheetah, Leopard and Lions. The Tenikwa encounter is a great follow-on to a game reserve / safari experience; from viewing the cats at a distance to the opportunity to study these beautiful animals at close quarters. Tenikwa also has a Meerkat Meander where visitors can see Meerkats and Tortoises and there is also a variety of indigenous waterfowl, Blue Cranes and Marabou Storks to delight bird watchers. Tenikwa supports the upliftment of local communities through Eco tourism and is environmentally responsible. Entrance fees fund Tenikwa's NPO Wildlife Rehabilitation and Release Programme. Open 365 days a year. Amenities include a Tea Garden for light meals, Parking, Wheel-chair Friendly, Mothers Corner
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 30 April 2015

Tenikwa Wildlife Reserve is a charming centre to experience African Big Cats. They also have a rehabilitaion centre on site where they rehabilitate injured animals found in the Garden Route. The work the staff does is extraordinary as the amount of care given to these animals is phenominal. Our guide Peter was brilliant in that he was very knowledgeable about the animals and the conservation work going on at Tenikwa. I will definitely recommend this place as my experience getting up close to a cheetah was a once in a lifetime experience and something i will treasure for the rest of my life.

Reviews (1 518)

745 - 749 of 1 518 reviews

Reviewed 28 April 2015

The first feeling I had about this place, after returning from Londolozi in Sabi Sands where I could see the animals in their natural habitat, was: "Why are these animals here?" It feels somewhat unnatural. While I appreciated the tour overall and particularly being close to the lion cubs (a white one too!), I found that the guide didn't talk as much, at times he wasn't extremely eager to answer the questions I had, and at one time made a sexist comment. Compared to a game reserve, this isn't a phenomenal experience. But you get to be very close to the animals, which is great!

Reviewed 28 April 2015

I recently took my two grandchildren (aged 7 and 5) to Tenikwa for the second time. They loved it so much the first time and have been begging me to take them again. I must say that they loved the experience and took in so much of what our guide was saying. Our guide was Jacob and he was excellent. His explanations suited not only the adults but could easily be understood by the children. What a wonderful experience this was for myself and my grandchildren and I am thrilled to say, they still remember a lot of what they were told. I've already been told that when they next visit Plettenberg Bay they want to go again. Of course, the two lion cubs were an absolute highlight.

Reviewed 27 April 2015

I've never taken the time to review anything before, but this place is so great I had to. We did the whole "crazy cat day" and, for two inveterate travelers who have been many places and done many things, this was a peak experience for both of us. We also felt wonderful about the work Mandy and her group are doing, which isn't always the case with wildlife encounters. can't recommend this highly enough.

Reviewed 23 April 2015

We did the photographic tour with Joel, I would recommend it as you go into the enclosures with a guide and are able to take great photos of the cats. Joel was very knowledgeable about the cats and made the tour very enjoyable.