All reviews otter cottage midlands meander near future arrived late in the evening long weekend alex dam fishing lake engagement treat surroundings
Reviewed 14 September 2016

The accommodation urgently need general repairs and maintenance. It can be a great place to stay if everything is fixed. It has a great view, but drawers without handles and a shower that you can barely get into is not acceptable.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 904andriesg
Reviewed 6 September 2016

The accommodation was very spacious - and the linen was very nice. However there were massive stains on the carpets and the couch - the couch looked so dirty that I didn't even want to sit on it - and when I reluctantly did it nearly swallowed me up. There were dead insects on the windowsill. Shampoo stains from the previous occupants were still in the shower. And on the second day there was no water available. The previous guests had accidentally taken the room key with them resulting in us being the only people with keys, so the room was not cleaned and this was not communicated with us until if this was standard. I regret to say that I would not stay here again.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alex D, Owner at Beacon Vlei Guest Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Hi Krystlek113

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. I am very sorry that you did not find your cottage in a satisfactory state. I can guarantee you that we strive to maintain the highest possible standards when it comes to cleanliness and quality of accommodation and as one can see from our previous reviews we are maintaining a high standard. Unfortunately what is the case in life is that when one thing goes wrong every thing goes wrong and it seems this was the case during your stay. Although the guests did take the keys and the room was not cleaned early in the morning, I did personally ask you later that day if we could come clean whilst you were in the cottage and you declined the offer so unfortunately if you do not allow my staff to clean the cottage it more than likely will get dirty. We did have a water problem on the morning of your departure which took exactly 10 minutes to resolve, I think this is an important point to make as it was a 10 minute problem and not an on going issue, to reiterate this point we had 23 guests staying when the water problem occurred and as it was such a short issue you were the only one who noticed. Please don't get me wrong at the end of the day it was an issue which although was out of our control I do take full responsibility for it and I do apologise. Although you mentioned that you would not like to come stay with us again I would like to appeal to you to contact me directly so I can try and convince you to come stay with us once again so as to show you just how important it is for us to maintain a high standard.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Every second that we stayed at Beaconvlei, al that went through my mind was that it was spacious, secluded and private, well stocked. A place where I can have sound sleep and go out (if I so wished) for great activities nearby. Highly recommended for a getaway and I just wished I stayed longer. I am certainly going back!

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed 5 August 2016

An absolutely gorgeous location which forces you to relax whether you like it or not. When your overwhelming desire is to do nothing and the alternatives range from restaurants, craft shops, breweries and numerous outdoor activities, you know you've stumbled onto something special. Beacon Vlei offers everything you could want for a getaway whether it's with family or friends. We had an amazing time in Crane Cottage and started planning our return trip on the first night we were there. Thanks to Alex and his staff.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed 22 July 2016

Dear Alex, thanks for an awesome time. Views are amazing, it was to short. The boat house is the way to go,overall a good experience. We enjoyed the fireplace and the rowing on the dam. Tried fishing but was not successful.

Date of stay: July 2016