Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews luxury tents are attention to detail magical experience relaxing break every meal game ranger bird life out of this world delicious food blown away incredible variety private pool awesome game drives thank you so much a special place south africa went the extra mile
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 March 2020

Rhino sands is the perfect safari if you want to be at one with nature and leave all your troubles behind you. There is something so magical about the Lodge and the complete experience the friendly staff give you. We were welcomed on our arrival with a glass of bubbles and a wet flannel to freshen up and then led to a beautifully furnished lounge area to discuss our itinerary. The camp only sleeps 8 guests so any requests are personally addressed. My husband and I are vegan so chef came out to present us with all the wonderful meal choices he had created for us. I have never felt so looked after on holiday. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room/tent was stunning and had every facility you could wish for, for living in the bush in 5 star luxury. Our safaris were quite something - our guide Murray was so incredibly knowledgable and his love for the Manyoni Game Reserve was obvious. He has so much to share and he never got board of all our questions that he must’ve been asked many times over. He always went the extra mile if there was a particular animal you wanted to find and see. We were incredibly lucky to see 4 of the big 5 plus the black Rhino, Wild Dogs and Cheetahs and the several Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes and Impala to name a few. Every drive was a magical experience!

Date of stay: February 2020
Shannon Airton, Owner at Rhino Sands Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2020

Thank you so much for taking time to share your Rhino Sands experience here. It truly means a lot to our whole team. I am so glad that the team was able to take such great care of your and attend to your special dietary requests. It sounds like you had some very lucky game viewing during your stay. The wild dogs are my absolute favorite. I will make certain that the team sees your fantastic feedback. We hope we can welcome you back someday!

Reviewed 5 December 2019

We had a magical experience at Rhino Sands, the staff are young, energised, professional & lots of fun.
Our animal, bird & insect sightings were superb thanks to the skill & excellent knowledge of our ranger Murray, a lovely lad with a great sense of humour, we felt very safe and comfortable with him & thoroughly enjoyed his company over our three night stay.
The accommodation is absolutely beautiful & the meals are delicious & beautifully presented, we had an absolutely marvellous stay and experience at Rhino Sands, we hope to return one day.
Sylvia, Stephen and Patrick

Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank Conways70
ShannonA1447, Owner at Rhino Sands Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2019

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to post it here. I think my absolute favourite part of this review is that it mentioned insects! You can always tell the true bush-lovers for their appreciation of all things...great AND small. The birds and insects add such a fascinating and interesting aspect to a safari...and I love to hear when our guests enjoy those little things as well. We absolutely hope to have you back again. I will pass along your compliments to our team. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 25 October 2019 via mobile

My husband and I have just enjoyed a wonderful 3 nights at the amazing Rhino Sands Safari camp.

I had never been on a safari before so I didn't know what to expect. This camp surpassed all my expectations in every way. The whole team do an amazing job of making everyone feel so welcome and nothing is too much trouble. Stacy is so cheerful and professional, Louie an amazing guide, the chefs top quality and the housekeeping exceptional. But it's also the little things that make this place so amazing, such as the hot water bottles and blankets each morning, the turn down service each night, the welcome drink after returning from the night Safari. I could go on and on- there are so many excellent things this lodge does.

The quality of the tents and common areas were exceptional, as were the bathroom products and towels and linen.

We were fortunate to have the lodge to ourselves one evening and the staff presented us with a romantic meal just for the 2 of us with a bottle of champagne as it was 50th birthday. We were really moved by this thoughtful gesture.

We really hope to return one day and have another amazing holiday. Thank you to all the team at Rhino Sands.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ShannonA1447, Owner at Rhino Sands Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2019

Thank you so very much for this lovely review. What a privilege it is to be someone's very first safari experience AND someone's 50th birthday destination all in one! I am so happy to hear that we lived up to your expectations. Thank you for noticing the little special extras we try to do for each and every guest. It's one of the great parts about being such a small camp...you can really spoil everyone who comes to stay! I will pass along your praise and thanks to the team. I really appreciate you sharing your experience here and we absolutely hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 24 October 2019 via mobile

What a place this is. We were a group of three couples celebrating the birthday of one of us. You can believe all of the previous reviews, this place is outstanding. The accommodation is second to none. We were in tent three and had a crowned eagle’s nest within twenty metres of our deck. The tent itself was amazing and spacious with every facility available (including electric blankets which we needed one night) and was kept scrupulously clean by the housekeeping team. Every morning we went out on our safari and miraculously returned to a freshly cleaned and rejuvenated tent. The food was amazing, it was like being in a Michelin starred restaurant but more intimate. Before every meal Jason and Bongani, the chefs, came out to greet us and tell us what the meal was going to be. They were happy to make changes to the dishes to accommodate our wishes. The service during the meal was mainly provided by Chris who looked after every tiny whim. One of our party felt that in his experience of visiting lodges the food at Rhino Sands was the best he had experienced.

Of course our main purpose was to go on safari which are so reliant on the guide. We were so lucky in having Murray whose infectious enthusiasm and knowledge was amazing. He recognised every single bird as well as its call, knew facts about every plant and tree and was amazingly knowledgeable about every animal we came across. One of the highlights was the capture and release of a 2.5 metre rock python by Murray, who was as excited as we were. We were also lucky enough to see rhinos, hippos, buffalo, lions (very young and old), a cheetah and a serval. Unbelievably Murray is only 22 with a lovely personality as well as so much information on tap.

A special mention must also be made of Stacey who was always so bright and cheerful and ready with a cold towel!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
ShannonA1447, Owner at Rhino Sands Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2019

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. My favourite part is that you know each and every one of our team members by name. One of our biggest goals in setting the camp up was to create a place which facilitated a connection of people not only with nature but also with one another and a review like this lets me know that it is working. I will pass along your terrific praise to each of the team members mentioned here. Thank you for your lovely compliments, thank you for choosing us as a place to stay with your special friends, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience here.

Reviewed 22 October 2019

We have just been to Rhino Sands for the third time and it exceeded our expectations once again! We had US friends with us and one of them has been on a 2 week high-end Safari experience in Botswana in several of the &Beyond tented lodges. She was absolutely blown away by Rhino Sands; the intimacy, service, the beautiful luxurious, authentic, tasteful and unpretentious accommodation….. and of course, not to mention the wonderful surroundings and incredible game experience.

Anyone who has been on Safari knows that it is not a zoo with animals on demand. Tracking and anticipating is half of the enjoyment. We were, however, absolutely blown away by the game viewings in the 3 days we were there:
- 4 Cheetah on a kill
- 4 Lions stretched out in the sun on the burnt ground (viewings were excellent post winter with little rain and seasonal fires)
- The same 4 Lions on two fresh kills a day later (Impala and Nyala) and one of them stalking and watching Water Buffalo at the watering hole (with a very full belly).
- White and Black Rhino.
- Lioness with very young cubs.
- A small herd of elephants running unbelievably fast to catch up with the rest of the herd, wild trumpeting and belly growls, with a quick drink from the built up reservoir (up on hind quarters) en route! All right in front of us - our adrenaline was pumping!
- Hippos and Crocs of course
- Unbelievable bird life as always as well as the rest of the fauna and flora and the beautiful topography that takes our breath away.

Our guide, Louis, was one of the best we have ever had and our American friends second that. He was so enthusiastic, loved the bush passionately and his knowledge was second to none. Not to mention his hospitality and humour. He is into photography which is great as he always positions the vehicle with that in mind. Louis was exceptionally good at keeping surprises and would say things like “We are not going to stop long to watch the giraffes fighting because we need to keep out of their way” meanwhile he was making haste to see the cheetahs but not breathing a word! He is someone who clearly is doing what he absolutely loves in life.

The food was quite unbelievable as always. I am on an absolutely crazy and complex diet courtesy of my GI Doctor. Rhino Sands really made an unbelievable effort to accommodate me and spoil me with alternatives which I really didn’t expect. My meals were high maintenance as it was and had to be cooked separately without garlic or onion and with veggies I could eat. On top of that, the chef made gluten free pancakes, flap jacks, muffins, malva and chocolate pudding, he made sure I only had fruit I could eat…..and more. Way above and beyond any expectation.

Thank you Rhino Sands for yet another unbelievable and memorable experience. We have been to Timbivati, Kruger, Sabi Sabi, various lodges in KZN and 2 weeks of camping in Botswana. We have never been to a place more than once. 3 times and counting……that says it all!

Room tip: Tent 3 has a nest with 2 Crowned Eagles in it!
2  Thank syar2013

Thank you so very much for such a lovely review, and thank you for coming to visit us again. What a pleasure it is to have return guests who become very much a part of our Rhino Sands family. It sounds like you were exceptionally lucky with your game viewing during your time here...those tiny cubs really are a special thing to see! As I mentioned to you personally, I am really glad that the team was able to accommodate your new dietary guidelines. Our chefs are excellent and really enjoy being able to personally tailor the culinary experience to each of our guests individual needs, preferences and desires. Thank you for spending the time sharing your feedback here. It really means the world to us. And we most certainly will see you next time!