“£3.00 extra cost is a NO NO.”

Toby Carvery Shenstone
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Shenstone
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We booked the carvery for Easter Monday for dinner, we couldn't find aware on the website that they charge Sunday prices. A notice outside states weekday buffet is £7.49 no exceptions that we could see clearly.
When we went in we did notice that the charge was £10.49, we could have left them but as we were hungry we stayed.
We were told they were almost out of roast beef but they should have more by 6.00 (wait of 50 minutes). At the carvery they only had the dregs of the roast beef and the chef said it would be 7.00 before they had any more. They also had very little roast lamb, which didn’t look very appetizing.
It is over a year since we last went to a Toby, the portions have shrunk greatly since then, we were given 2 slices.
We had to take our soft drinks back as they were flat, got them changed with no problem.

At £7.49 it is a push as whether this is value for money at £10.49 it is a big NO NO.

How they can justify the extra £3.00 cost beats me, perhaps they might reply to this and I'll know.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Shenstone, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Hi John, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Charging the Sunday prices on a bank holiday as well as offering the Sunday ranges of meat is something Toby carvery as a company have done for many years now as well as most other carveries. As well as this we made sure signs were placed on the door and host point. I apologise if this caused confusion in anyway.

I'm very sorry to hear about the meat situation, whilst we do our best to plan ahead and ensure we have all the meats at all time, on this occasion we let you down. This is something I will be feeding back to the kitchen team also.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any confusion with our prices on this occasion. We hope to see you again soon for a much better experience!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

You always know the score when you go for a carvery, however this place has a few extra surprises. Five different meats (lamb, pork, ham, turkey and beef), roasters cooked in beef dripping, cheese mac and then all the usual stuff. We were pleasantly surprised by the great table service which we've not had before at a carvery. Tip - book up as there can be long waits (you'll know why everyone is desperate to go when you eat there!).

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Shenstone, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi D-Earlsie

Thank you for the amazing review today, we really appreciate it! Here at the home of the roast we are always looking for new ways to improve!

I'll be feeding your wonderful comments back to our team who I'm sure will be pleased to hear these!

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon - take care :-)

Reviewed 23 March 2018

After having one of our best carvery experiences here, late last year, we have seen a steady decline in our recent visits, culminating in our poorest visit yesterday.
Our beef was chewy and all the potatoes and veg were extremely dry, my guess is that the heaters were too high as we struggled to hold the serving utensils they were that hot.
We informed the waitress and she said she'd tell someone and that was the last we heard of the matter.
Nothing was mentioned when we paid our bill, so sadly this will be our last visit.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Shenstone, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us today. I'm sorry you were disappointed with your last visit as here at the home of the roast we aim for excellence at all costs. What you experienced was unacceptable and i will be feeding back to all of my team about this to ensure this does not happen again.

Please accept my sincere apologies and hopefully we can see you again soon to show you just how good we are

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Went for a very late lunch with family at about 3 pm today. All the vegetables was dried up with no replacement. On ordering which meat on plate I asked for fresh cabbage and carrots. This was the most terrible family meal ever. Cold uncutable cauliflower, dried up peas dried mash potatoes and shrivelled up carrots... one of the worst carveries ever. Would I go back NO

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Shenstone, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

T S, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, I'm shocked to read your experience and I'm sure when I share this with the team then they will also be upset to read about your experience. This is not the sort of five star service both our Front of House and Kitchen team set themselves each day.

I hope you give us the chance to show you us at our brilliant best. Thank you once again for the feedback.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Again Toby carvery never disappointed on how delicious the food was. The range of potatoes, meat, veg and gravy was as always great for me (apart from I eat way to much and come away wanting to sleep) the visit has let me down though as on walking across the car park we were greeted by sick, my partner informed the manager who informed us someone had called in sick and left them short staffed (which was none of our business) there was a lovely lady serving and waiting it seemed on her own! After spending a good hour and a half in there we left to walk past the same heap of sick in the car park. It certainly has not brought us back since. Which is a shame as I do like a carvery. Disappointed

My team will bitterly dissapointed their level of service has let you down on this visit, I will investigate more into why something like this wasn't actioned straight away, as it seems a very out of character for the team.

Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention. We will use your comments to refine our efforts to ensure this issue does not happen again.