“Dire”

The Jolly Boatman
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Thrupp
Price range: US$13 - US$25
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Canal side pub/restaurant set alongside the beautiful Southern Oxford canal. Open everyday for breakfast from 10.00Am until 10.30Pm. Brand new decked and heated, covered canal side patio area. Roaring log fires in winter. Children, dogs always most welcome. Great selection of homemade dishes cooked to order using fresh local produce. Cask Marque quality real ales. Free newspapers, and WiFi.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went for a meal here with family who were visiting from Devon on Good Friday 2018, there were eight of us so pre-booked a table two weeks ago as thought it would be busy. The table was booked for 7 o'clock. We did not order any starters, just main meals. Our meals did not come out until 8.40, meals did not all come out together so some of us started eating as we were so hungry, majority of the meals were cold, the battered cod was full of bones, the 8 oz steak was supposed to be cooked medium but it had been cremated, got the manager over to show him and told him this was not acceptable as we had been waiting for so long and he told us yes you have been waiting 1 hour 14 minutes!!! The pub was not even busy. The price of two drinks was deducted off our bill and the manager could barely look at us when we left. Avoid this place at all costs. Worst dining experience we have ever had.

1  Thank marc h

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We ate here as a family and all had the Carvery which was good value with well cooked meat and a great selection of veg and sauces. Gravy was lovely. Nice comfy canal side pub, with outdoor area which would be lovely in the summer.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

The Jolly Boatman is located beside the Oxford Canal just outside Kidlington. From the restaurant you can watch the comings and goings of the narrowboats, and even some Deer in the woods behind. I took a part of about 25 people here for a midweek evening dinner and we had a thoroughly enjoyable meal.
To be fair we had notified the restaurant a week in advance of each person’s menu choices, which gave them time to make sure that everything was available and prepared on time. The range of items on the menu was pretty varied and the food was nicely prepared, presented, piping hot and served quickly.
The ambiance in the canal side dining room was warm and friendly, plus the management and staff could not do enough to make sure that we all had an enjoyable evening. I am sad to see a number of negative reviews about this restaurant, but from my experience it is somewhere worth visiting!

1  Thank ktrott1998
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

The pub has real potential and I would envisage lovely in summer.
However I went for food. The food I was told would take 25 minutes as cooked from fresh this I appreciate, real food cooked to order. I ordered a starter as I waited once finished I was asked if I wanted anything else!
I reminded them I had ordered. Instead of admitting a human mistake apologising and explaining and attempting to make good which would have been accepted as mistakes happen it was covered up. Almost an hour later I complained and was met with a hostile attitude and again no apology. The tone was bullish unpleasant at best, in this case it was the customer who was made to feel in the wrong .T he food I ate was fine the food I saw looked good but I do not understand anyone in hospitality who is not hospitable and that is a great shame.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Just had dinner here and I must say the food is great and the service was excellent, very attentive and atmosphere is excellent too.