All reviews st lucia sugar beach rented a car caribbean sea local beach owners and staff the main road stunning views hidden gem tet rouge chicken hotel chocolat sulphur springs grocery store daily excursions back home international airport
Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We had such a wonderful stay at Tet Rouge that I barely know where to start!

My husband and I stayed at the beginning of July for 7 nights, having booked in September for fear that this 6 room property would be fully booked (we needn’t have worried, there were no more than 4 rooms occupied at any one time while we stayed). All correspondence in advance was pleasant and helpful.

I was almost concerned that the reviews and photos seemed too good to be true – they aren’t, it really is that wonderful! After driving from Hewanorra airport (I would definitely suggest renting a car, and a 4X4 is best but don’t feel you need an expensive Jeep, our Suzuki Jimny from Drive-a-Matic handled the roads fine), we found Tet Rouge easily using the very detailed instructions emailed to us in advance. There is a pretty rough patch of drive, but it’s short, and fun, and there is ample parking. We were welcomed as we stepped out of our car by Melissa, who quickly got the paperwork out of the way and showed us to our room. I’d asked for Room 6, the Hibiscus suite, based on other reviews, and was delighted to get it.

All rooms are pretty much identical, but this is slightly further from the pool area (we like quiet but in the end there was no need to worry about that), and is closest to Gros Piton. It’s also a room that people don’t tend to walk past so we didn’t need to be fussy about keeping the drapes closed. The room itself is incredible – very spacious, and perfectly laid out. From a huge deck (with both shaded and unshaded space) you can enter through the patio doors, which can be slid fully aside to really open the room on to the patio (which has a table and two chairs, and a delightful hammock). We loved doing this in the morning – we could open the drapes and tie back the mosquito net on the bed and just lay there waking up slowly, enjoying the incredible sea view. The ‘bedroom’ was very spacious, with a comfy sofa and desk as well as the bed (a mosquito net on a four poster is always so much more comfortable than a drape over a normal bed), then it’s a few steps up to the kitchenette, closet and bathroom, plus a side door if you don’t want to enter and leave through the patio. The room felt light and airy, catching a good breeze through the net windows at the side. There is a fan above the bed, and an electric fan is also provided but we never felt the need for it. There was certainly no need for AC! Tet Rouge also provide a golf umbrella, some natural bay oil insect repellent, and a couple of picnic chairs that can be used on the sun deck or taken to the beach.

The kitchenette was a good size, and we found it had all we needed to prepare our own meals for a few nights (there is no oven but we knew that, and stuck to rice/pasta dishes). Even the view from the kitchen sink is perfect! The fridge-freezer were also a good size, and the tap water was perfectly fine for drinking. The closet is a great size, and as a tidy person I appreciated being able to fit all of our luggage in there tucked out of sight. The bathroom was one of my favourite features – it has an indoor shower, twin basins, loo, and a fully outdoor shower with a screen door and patio door that can be closed, and was fully closed off from the room which I prefer. The turtle motif on the tiling was beautiful, and it felt amazing to shower amongst the beautifully planted foliage with lizards running around. The smaller shower head in our room fell down a little but was fine once the pressure was turned up high. Water pressure and temperature were always great. We could see Gros Piton from the bathroom, and a taller person might have seen it from the shower! (I’m only 5’3”!). The complimentary toiletries smelled gorgeous, and the bathroom (as well as the bed) were made up beautifully with fresh flowers for our arrival. Absolutely no insect problems – in other similar places I’ve had issues with ants and cockroaches but there were neither at Tet Rouge, just some harmless millipedes, and lovely butterflies enjoying the beautifully kept gardens. We slept so well, it’s so peaceful. There was a neighbour playing country and western quite loud one night, but in our experience it’s hard to escape loud neighbours in the Caribbean as the preference for playing music is always ears-bleeding loud!

The room really was amazing, and we enjoyed lazy afternoons in the hammock, and star-gazing at night. The pool area is also really lovely, and the views are fantastic. We enjoyed the swim-up bar, but don’t expect to have someone there all the time to wait on you – we really liked that Tet Rouge isn’t overstaffed as it added to the quiet feeling of the place. There were plenty of loungers as most people spent some time out exploring, or on their deck. Ti Coco is the lovely little bar and restaurant, and is lovely and peaceful and open only to guests. We loved the breakfasts – fresh fruit, bread, delicious guava jam and a choice of eggs done how you wanted them. I’ve read that other people had granola – this wasn’t offered, but the scrambled eggs with peppers and cheese were so good I was happy to eat that every day! I don’t quit know why some reviewers would complain about breakfast as there was plenty of food, the fruit and juice offering changed daily, and frankly I eat the same thing for breakfast every day at home so have no need to do otherwise on holiday!

We ate dinner at To Coco four times, more than we’d planned. The standard menu, which we had twice, is excellent, with an amazing ceviche and classic Caribbean fare. It didn’t change much, so I would possibly have found myself bored, but I always plan to cook some nights to save money. The prices were a little on the high side based on my experience of other Caribbean islands, but after eating elsewhere I think they were quite standard for the area, and the location far nicer. On one night a fellow guest had caught fish which Garvin cooked on the BBQ- we had planned to cook I our room but were invited to join the meal which was lovely. There was a planned BBQ night for the Sunday night we were there, but when he saw how well everyone was getting along Garvin moved it to the Friday night (some guests were leaving on Saturday) so we could all eat together – we ended up pulling all the tables into one and having a great night. We also ate at the Mango Tree restaurant at Stonefield with another couple, the buffet was good but expensive, but the sunset was great. We didn’t eat lunch at Tet Rouge and I’m not sure it’s available, as we either prepared our own meal or ate out – we had lunch at Jade Mountain for our 5th anniversary and it was spectacular.

The staff are wonderful, as I mention there to help but not in your face. Garvin arranged everything we needed, as well as cooking great BBQ, and giving advice on what to do. He arranged a hike to Enbas Saut waterfall for us and another couple, which was challenging but well worth the sweat, and gave us direction to walk to Anse L’vrogne beach which we had completely to ourselves. The walk is easy, and took us 20-25 minutes, and we found safe swimming at the southern end of the beach. We had laundry done a couple of times which was very reasonably priced and fast. As an anniversary treat, we had massages on our deck – they were amazing, having the cool breeze as it rained was memorable, and the price was very reasonable. We had also planned to have private dining on our deck for our anniversary but so enjoyed spending time with the other guests that we cancelled this. One of the nicest things about Tet Rouge was meeting like-minded travellers who preferred to travel independently instead of use big all-inclusive resorts. As for other activities, in our car we drove to Pigeon Island for a day, into Soufriere for shopping, to Anse Chastanet beach for the day, to the Diamond Botanical Gardens, to Tet Paul for an easy hike, and to the Sulphur Springs.

There’s very little we’d change about Tet Rouge, only tiny things like slowing down the serving time at dinner, having softer pool chairs, or having a double hammock so we didn’t have to fight over it!

All in, we agreed that in almost 20 years of travelling together, having stayed on 7 Caribbean islands, Tet Rouge is the best place we’ve ever stayed, especially when value for money is taken into account. As a contrast, after our stay we went on to St Vincent and the Grenadines to sail, and on our way home spent a night back in St Lucia at Boucan (Hotel Chocolat). Boucan was a bucket list item for us, and we had a wonderful stay there, but our 27 hours there cost as much as a fancy weekend break would have. I much preferred the room design at Tet Rouge – the air flow and light are better, the rooms are bigger and have the kitchenette, the showers are properly outdoors, and the bathroom is sealed from the main room (there is no bathroom ceiling at Boucan). Add to that Ter Rouge is quieter (being away from the road), feels more exclusive, and has more peaceful levels of night time light we would go with Tet Rouge any day, even if money was no object.

Thank you so much for a wonderful stay, we’ll definitely be back!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ailsabm
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

Thank you for your review, we are happy you enjoyed so much your stay with us at Tet Rouge. We truly hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 July 2018

Gavin, Melisa and the rest of the staff are top notch. Our stay was so relaxing. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful. Our room was absolutely wonderful. We can't say enough good things about Tet Rouge. Had so much fun visiting with the other guests. The pool area is beautiful and our deck offered the best view on the whole island. Stay here!

Room Tip: Choose the western side if you don't like waking up early as the sun rises about 5:15 am and there is no escaping that bright light.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Thank you for your review. We are truly happy you enjoyed your stay with us at Tet Rouge. We hope to see you again soon for another amazing vacation.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

My husband and I visited St. Lucia for our honeymoon and spent 3 nights in the South at Tet Rouge and 4 nights in the North at a little vacation rental by owner, so we got two very different experiences (there is much more to do and see in the South). We LOVED Tet Rouge, and wish we had stayed for longer than 3 nights! We stayed in the Hibiscus suite, which is the one on the far left end (if you are facing the rooms from the road). In that room we had a GORGEOUS view of Gros Piton, as well as the sea view that all of the rooms offer. The doors swing all the way open which is incredible, and the room, kitchen, closet, and bathroom are perfectly spacious for two. We loved the outdoor shower, especially since you can see the stars at night!

Breakfast is included with your stay each morning so we definitely took advantage of that - breakfast started to be served at 7:30 each morning until whenever you woke up and ventured outside, so that was very very nice if you wanted to sleep in a little. They offered either a delicious granola cereal or two eggs cooked to your preference with a fresh salad, and always brought out toasted bread or rolls with jam, a selection of fresh tropical fruits, and their fresh fruit juice of the day. It was absolutely lovely to sit out with the cool breeze listening to the birds each morning, looking at the beautiful ocean view and surrounding gardens! They also offer dinner most nights, which we took advantage of our first night there. You just have to let them know that morning if you are wanting to participate in dinner for the night.

We rented a car so that we could explore the southern part of the island while we were there, and beaches/restaurants/hiking were within a very reasonable drive (20-40 minutes, I'd say). PLEASE rent a vehicle that has 4-wheel drive and is higher off the ground, like a Jeep or other small SUV. We made the mistake of renting a small Chevy Spark - some of the roads in St. Lucia are very rocky / have potholes, and were not very comfortable to navigate in a Chevy Spark (but it is doable).

Gavin, who oversees that day-to-day needs of the guests, is absolutely THE BEST! We never personally utilized him to make us reservations or anything, but the other couples who were staying at the same time as us did and he was always happy to make arrangements for them. And that's another thing that's great about Tet Rouge - you will get to know the other couples staying, and they can offer wonderful recommendations (as can Gavin!) about where to go and what to do, especially if they have been there for a few days already. We enjoyed that aspect so much. It really had the feel of a very nice resort, but on a smaller scale, and almost like your friends or family members were running it and having you stay with them - we felt so welcome and safe.

We loved every second of our stay at Tet Rouge, and will absolutely stay again if we ever return to St. Lucia for another trip in the future!

- Brandon & Kayla from "Sweet Home" Alabama

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us at Tet Rouge and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

First time to St. Lucia and we made the mistake of doing 5 nights in the North and 2 night in the South. In hindsight, we would have spent 7 nights at Tet Rouge. Period. North was blah comparatively. OK, so why did we love it here? From the moment we booked from the moment we sadly departed we were treated like great friends they wanted to impress. Gavin is the freaking man. He took amazing care to make sure we got anything we wanted and was great setting stuff up for us off property. And Melon also was a great help and quick to recommend things. They really do seem to love what they do. Pool was killer. I musta spent 6 hrs a day in that dang pool. I loved it. Breakfast was a great way to start. Dinner were good. Not mind blowing, not the most original, but solid all around. I've read the other reviews and I must say, we couldn't have been happier with our room. We were by the pool and it wasn't a problem whatsoever to be that close. I'd stay there every time. Dinners with other guests were great too. And I personally love that it's off the beaten path. We rented a car and I'm damn glad we did. Got to see a lot of the island. Anyway, that's all. Great, great, great. Thank you all of you for making our stay exactly what we had hoped for and more. I hope one day we can repay the favor and treat you to a great vacation. Danny + Kim

Room Tip: We looked at them all but our favorite was the Frangipani room. But it's poolside (with a killer view).
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DFish9
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Tet Rouge and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 10 days and would give this place 10 stars if we could. I cannot tell you how amazing it is to find the perfect blend of service and solitude. This resort is your vacation the way you like- if you want the staff to be all over you and helping you everyday, arranging outings and food, you can have that or if you want to be left to your own devices they can do that too. We are somewhere in the middle. The housekeeping and waitstaff checked in on us everyday. The first few days we just wanted to sleep and not have the room cleaned so they asked if we needed anything and just left us be. We would emerge for dinner (we would let them know daily if we were sticking around for dinner) and some nights we had lively conversation with Garvin and other guests and some nights we just gazed at the amazing star lit sky. Garvin realizing we had rented a car and were not afraid to venture out gave us great recommendations and even confirmed reservations for us for dinner and some of our outings. The staff were so accommodating, providing us extra towels and directions whenever we asked. They even did a load of laundry for us for $10. So about the resort itself- the rooms are spacious and just as pictured. The sliding glass doors were always open when we were in our room (a little mosquito coil burning and the netting kept us comfortable) to the point that even Garvin was surprised we kept them open all night. We felt safe and well looked after in this location in the little town of Choisuel. The bed could be a slight more comfortable or thicker as there is no boxspring but we rested quite comfortably. The outdoor shower had a beautiful garden feeling and great water pressure. I took one shower inside which was also good. The restaurant, which is guest only was quaint. Breakfast was a a daily selection of fresh fruit with bread, cereal or eggs with a little salad. For included breakfast I thought it was better that crappy continental breakfast but not over the top. We had dinner at the resort a few night. It is a limited menu but they do a great job of offering enough choices to keep you interested and once you through in the BBQ night we never had the same thing twice.
IF you are looking for the full service resort experience you can have that here but this is NOT SANDALS! This is nice little resort with personality and locals that really seem to care about your experience. All of the islands nature activities and geological features are within 15-25 drive.

Room Tip: We took the room farthest from the pool and enjoy the quiet. The rooms all have the same set up and the same beautiful view.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Tet Rouge to spend your vacation. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.