“marvellous cypriot food”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Acheleia
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A simple traditional taverna, family run, with no gourmet elements, as that would contradict the whole concept, in a village setting and beautiful gardens. My mum prepares the food with lots of love and the rest of us make sure it is served to you properly and on time! The presentation is simple as well, as my father wants, although my mother would love to show off a bit more of her skills:) However and most importantly, it is genuinely Cypriot!We have had the taverna since 1990 and during the years we have made a lot of wonderful friends and shared with them beautiful moments, wedding and christening parties, anniversaries and birthday parties. That is the best part of the story!So, after writing a whole essay I realise I could just describe it with one single sentence: A family-run tavern who loves Cypriot food and enjoys serving its visitors!Thank you for taking the time to read it!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

kleftiko and mousaka are the best for miles around pork chop not bad either akis is a brilliant host very nice pleasant meal will be back used severall times .hope the wallnut harvest is good this year

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I can’t say enough how fab this place is. It is a fantastic find serving real Cypriot food. Agis and Marina are wonderful and have a great restaurant. My only problem is that I can’t see by Marina’s marvellous Moussaka. Every trip it’s the same thing but well worth the wait. Great place and well worth the short trip from town.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We got married in Cyprus on the 15/06/18 we had our wedding reception at Akis. What an amazing experience. It is a family run tavern the food is wonderful we had a set meze menu which is a big meal. Akis told us to go on a empty stomach and wow he wasn't kidding. Before our wedding day we went to meet the family and nothing is to much much trouble. I took my own table decorations which they set out perfectly for me on my special day. While visiting the 1st time I had sword fish and my husband has t bone stake both meal was faultless both cooked to prefection. I would also recommend trying 1 of Akis brandy sours wow they are the bomb. We will definitely be returning. Thank you all so much at Akis for making our day so special xx

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited Akis tavern twice on our most recent holiday to Cyprus, having eaten here on our previous trip we knew we were in for some good food and we were not disappointed! First visit we had meze, which samples different items from the menu, the food was fresh and incredibly tasty! You can tell a lot of effort goes into the preperation and it pays off in the taste. I would highly recommend the meze, however expect a big meal! It is more than reasonably priced as well which makes it even better. For our second visit we had mousakka and stifado...the mousakka is my personal favourite and I really enjoyed it. The stifado was to die for as well! I would suggest trying the village wine with your meal, served in a traditional tankard. Very good wine in my opinion, wish I could get it back home! However we did have plenty during our stay :) . Akis himself is a really great guy! Incredibly friendly and kind, taking an interest in us and our stay. Great to just chat to and likes to have a joke and a laugh. I would strongly suggest trying this tavern, we had some of the best food during our holiday here (Currently closes Sunday evening and all day Monday). Thank you so much Akis and your wife also!

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

We’ve been to this taverna on previous trips but never been able to make the renowned Sunday bbq lunch so at the beginning of April I rang, from home, to book a table. We were given a 1pm booking. We were the second table to arrive but within the hour almost every seat was taken. Mainly Cypriot families and a couple of groups of ex-pats. Very few tourists.
The taverna is situated on the main B6 road, not far from the airport, we had a car so it wasn’t a problem.
We were a little sad that there was no suckling pig available but the bbq lamb and chicken certainly made up for it. Simply served with local bread, salad and homemade chips. All washed down with a cold Keo beer served in a frozen glass. When we had finished our meal we ordered Cyprus coffees and they came with the obligatory glasses of water but also with small piece of homemade lemon cake. A very welcome surprise.
It was a lovely, lazy afternoon. We ended up chatting to an (obviously wealthy), older, Cypriot couple on the next table who live in the capital, Nicosia. The lady told us they visited Akis regularly and always ordered moussaka as it’s the best they’ve ever tasted, anywhere!!! Quite the recommendation. I’ll have to have that next time. There will definitely be a next time.