“Delicious food ”
Review of The Red Tin Roof

The Red Tin Roof
Description: Red Tin Roof is a restaurant and guesthouse situated in the heart of the Riebeek Valley. Our style is fun, eclectic and laid back. We serve locally sourced, South African-style food including pumpkin fritters, biltong pizza, bobotie samoosas, Angus steaks, pies, stews and fabulous, crispy salads. Sunday is roast lunch and you do need to book. Watch our webpage for live music events too!
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited during our stay in Riebeek Kasteel. She had the special prawn salad and I had the Burger with Vetkoek instead of the roll. Both were delicious and highly recommend. The skilpaaitjies as a starter did not disappoint aswell. Attention to detail (frozen glasses for beer) and friendly service was abundant. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and gives a relaxed feel to enjoy.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I'm so desperately trying to leave the book out of this but it was the reason for trying out this place. The slow 90 min drive from Cape Town made me look forward to a lovely afternoon with eight family members. The drive turned out to be the best thing about this restaurant. They advertised Sunday lunch which four of us wanted, 'Sorry we ran out'. We then wanted three Tab cool drinks, "Sorry we ran out' . We only got one. Then we ordered two slow cooked lamb but we only got one.......why..'Sorry we ran out'. Apology from the owner not very sincere but then to top off the day we ordered two malva pudding with ice cream but got one with cream and one with nothing.....guess why..'Sorry we ran out'......how we still paid for the bill is only due to our tolerance for incompetence. Maybe good journo's should stay just that.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Driving from a expo, we quickly poped in for a snack. Not having a booking we where hartly welcomed. Will be back for a proper mealtime

Reviewed 5 February 2018

WOW, what a great place to be, greeted by Sam (owner) we were shown to our dining seats outside under the trees in the back garden, very pretty, well I ordered the chicken livers to start and I have to say they were so tender, almost melted like butter in the mouth with a nice balance of piri piri.
For the main course I decided on the hake n chip dish, well that was the best I have had in South Africa, (I have been here 9 years now), lovely fresh fish and the thickness of the fish was just fantastic 3-4 cm I would say and that's not just a once off, I've had the same since and the quality does not alter and so well cooked by Jacques (Author of the President's keepers) also owner, well done for the great food. Then just to sit on the stoop sipping a great G & T watching the world pass by. Great food, lovely staff and a very nice place to chill.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

I was reading Jacques Pauw's "The President's Keepers" and so had to make a detour to Reebeck Kasteel to visit his restaurant and bar which he mentions in the book. The little town is so pretty and a must to visit and Jacques and Sam have created a beautiful little oasis here. The garden is stunning, cool and shady on a hot day, or you can sit in the sun, too. We didn't have time to have lunch but we ordered a starter of snoek fish cake to try it as a recommended South African dish. The rose wine was lovely and the beer cold and very much to the satisfaction of Robbie. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that the fish cake, absolutely delicious, was a complimentary sample, and gave us a good insight into the excellent quality of the food.
Sadly, the service here was rather abrupt and disorganised, with two people trying to take and order and some confusion as to who would be bringing the bill. When we asked for water, we were told that there was none, well not surprising I suppose as it was during this severe drought, but our driver was wanting to avoid alcohol, while not wishing to drink sweet canned offerings. Eventually we were offered a can of soda which she had with lime and that really fitted the bill but why did the waitress think that soda was not water? OK, we will definitely go back to try the food if ever in this neck of the woods. The place is really worth a visit.