“Look no further”

Royal Restaurant
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Simplicity, imagination and quality of produce are key at The Royal. Head chef Francois du Toit (La Colombe, Manna Epicure) believes that food should be honest. If you say tomato it must taste like tomato, if you say fillet you should get the best our country has to offer. This philosophy together with the use of modern equipment (such as the use of Sous-Vide and Pacojet) results in creative but unpretentious dishes with "taste" as main ingredient.
Mpumalanga, South Africa
“Look no further”
Reviewed 17 January 2017

We were a party of six and we all had something different on the menu. The food was very well prepared and very tasty. Highly recommended

Visited January 2017
1 Thank 55andmore

Somerset West, South Africa
“Good food, but...”
Reviewed 1 January 2017

I was torn between 3 and 4 star rating and decided to only rate the dinner. The sirloin I had was excellent and cooked to perfection. The advertised 3x baked chips that came with it were slap chips and didn't see the oven three times. I know how they are supposed to be and was quite disappointed by that. For a dish close to R200 that should be on song with no compromise.

Am I the only one that thought that the prices are over the top for what you actually get? My springbok carpaccio had the flavour, but for a R80 starter I expect a bit more that four skin thin slices of meat, finished of with some grated apple and vinaigrette sprinkling.

The desert was enjoyable. I am still battling with 3 or 4 stars. I'll give it the benefit for the professional and friendly service. Do yourself a favour and eat breakfast elsewhere.

Visited January 2017
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“G & T's on the patio for sundowners”
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

We had heard about this on a website and decided to pay a visit to the royal hotel.

Whatever you do in Riebeek Kasteel, do NOT miss the Gin & Tonic happy hour (17h00-18h00) served on the stoep of this landmark colonial hotel. Not only are they, quite frankly, the best gin and tonics I have had (yes I had a few), they are served in gigantic brandy glasses with slices of cucumber, pomegranate seeds and a beaming smile… The biggest and best G&T’s in the Western Cape, from R25, for real. While you are there, book for their five-course dinner, which is a steal at R98! The menu changes daily and bookings before 17h00 are essential. If it’s breakfast you’re after, they have a breakfast menu to die for, with starters, mains and dessert! Think smoked salmon with crispy spinach & feta springrolls & poached egg, freshly baked croissant with truffle & cream cheese scrambled egg, Camembert & baby leaves and banana & chocolate bread with dried figs, coconut yoghurt & hazelnut praline. Have you ever?

Visited December 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
“Limited options”
Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

My husband, 13 year old, 16 year old and I went for dinner on Christmas eve. The staff were friendly and the chef very accommodating. The Gnocchi was too blue cheesy though; I had my fish grilled instead of fried and it was very wet (unrested). The prawn dish was okay, but a couple were mushy. I ordered a decaf latte and the barrister nearly sent me a regular. Fortunately my husband did due diligence and discovered the error before it arrived at our table. Definitely not a place we'd go back to for dinner.

Visited December 2016
Somerset West, South Africa
“Reminds one of times gone by”
Reviewed 25 November 2016

Enchanting Elegant and plain fabulous. I loved everything about staying at this hotel but the Veranda is the best. Tried the Gin in the large glass which was delicious. Staff extremely friendly, helpful and really went out of their way. So enchanting really! Beautiful setting, well appointed room. Dinner in the restaurant was a bit disappointing and we expected much more- very mediocre and what a shame as all the guests were dining elsewhere in the village. We were one of two tables only. One bit of constructive feedback- waiting staff use the corner of the bar counter to place dirty glasses coming off the veranda and left them there until the end of the shift before clearing- very Untidy. Definitely going back and really enjoyed staying there. Breakfast was superb thank you!

Visited November 2016