“Limited options”

Royal Restaurant
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Simplicity, imagination and quality of produce are key at The Royal. Head chef Francois du Toit (La Colombe, Manna Epicure) believes that food should be honest. If you say tomato it must taste like tomato, if you say fillet you should get the best our country has to offer. This philosophy together with the use of modern equipment (such as the use of Sous-Vide and Pacojet) results in creative but unpretentious dishes with "taste" as main ingredient.
Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

My husband, 13 year old, 16 year old and I went for dinner on Christmas eve. The staff were friendly and the chef very accommodating. The Gnocchi was too blue cheesy though; I had my fish grilled instead of fried and it was very wet (unrested). The prawn dish was okay, but a couple were mushy. I ordered a decaf latte and the barrister nearly sent me a regular. Fortunately my husband did due diligence and discovered the error before it arrived at our table. Definitely not a place we'd go back to for dinner.

Reviewed 25 November 2016

Enchanting Elegant and plain fabulous. I loved everything about staying at this hotel but the Veranda is the best. Tried the Gin in the large glass which was delicious. Staff extremely friendly, helpful and really went out of their way. So enchanting really! Beautiful setting, well appointed room. Dinner in the restaurant was a bit disappointing and we expected much more- very mediocre and what a shame as all the guests were dining elsewhere in the village. We were one of two tables only. One bit of constructive feedback- waiting staff use the corner of the bar counter to place dirty glasses coming off the veranda and left them there until the end of the shift before clearing- very Untidy. Definitely going back and really enjoyed staying there. Breakfast was superb thank you!

1  Thank 551dgdg
Reviewed 11 October 2016

We stayed at Royal Hotel for 1 night. I generally prefer not to eat at the place I'm staying but the place looked so cozy and warm that we just started oor evening at the bar.
After an excellent G. & T., we tried the restaurant and we were so impressed about the food, service and the attention that was given from the staff. The beef fillet was out of this world and with no doubt one of the best I've had in ZA !

1  Thank Daniel F
Reviewed 10 October 2016

We had the most fabulous wedding hosted by the Royal Hotel.
Our guest couldn't stop talking about the food which everyone rated 10/10!
The service and run around in this kitchen is 12/10!

1  Thank candicevj
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

We had an absolutely splendid lunch. The antipasti "plankie" was a perfect sized starter for the 3 of us. Good quality products. Mains: Lamb belly roll for me (divine! and I am a native from the Eastern Cape Karoo ... not easy to impress), pork belly for our friend and the chicken Ballottine for my husband. We were all thoroughly impressed. Had a perfectly chilled Strandveld Sauvignon Blanc to start with and the local Secateurs Dry Red for the mains; both well-priced and excellent wines. All in all a great experience - leisurely lunch on the stoep; just a pity no oysters available, because that dish is my preferred starter. Good service by Brian. Full marks all around. We will be back ... again.

2  Thank GrietWesternCape