All reviews old world charm gin and tonic course dinner cape town happy hour couple of years friendly service filet beautiful setting a real gem lovely room riebeek valley well worth a visit stoep veranda garden gins
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From start to finish, our stay at the Royal Hotel was perfect. Great food, comfortable rooms, excellent food, great location. We used it as a great base for exploring the Swartland wine country, and would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank intrepidvoyager01
Reviewed 30 December 2018 via mobile

We were so pleased that we could get a booking for Christmas lunch. Petra who helped with the booking was fabulous. My daughter is vegetarian and when I enquired about vegetarian options they substituted one seafood dish with a delicious local goats cheese dish. Nothing was too much trouble.

Though advertised as a 4 course meal we were served 5 tasty & substantial courses that ended in a fabulous trio of deserts. All this for R425 per head made it the best value for money Xmas lunch meal in Cape Town. We have done the overpriced meals at the oldest 5 Star hotel in CT and Riebeeck Kasteel’s Royal compared equally favorably at about a fifth of the price. We got a tasty meal for 3 plus excellent wine, service charge and tip for the price of one meal!

Our waitress was very friendly and attentive...everything was perfect!

Definitely doing this again next year!

Thank you Royal for a most memorable Christmas meal!

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Yachtbasin
Reviewed 13 November 2018

We visited the Royal Hotel in Riebeek Kasteel as part of a planning session for work. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel. It is very tastefully decorated, and the rooms and service was very good. The food in the restaurant, even though it took some time to prepare, was of excellent quality. I will definitely go back if I get the chance, and I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2018

We were treated with the utmost courtesy and charm by all the personnel with whom we had contact, from arrival to departure.

The hotel is classic South African in both design and furnishing, and we had a delightful stay and an excellent breakfast from the wide choices on the menu.

The only negative, and it is fairly significant, is that the room we had (Room 4), although well appointed, comfortable and very clean, was small and dark, with no view. There was no window to let in fresh air apart from the balcony door, and we would not have felt safe sleeping with those doors open. The King Suites, which were not available when we booked, might have been better in those respects, but at R1000 more per night, they should.

For just under R2000/night, I expected a better room. The price was not the problem but the value for money it represents compared with other properties where we regularly stay in South Africa, and in Europe for that matter, is very poor.

I suspect that the Royal is profiting from its dominance in a very popular and beautiful village. I am not in the 'price conscious' category of traveller, but I do resent being charged a high price for poor value.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018

If visiting Riebeek Kasteel it would be stupid not to stop over at either the magnificently long veranda ("stoep") which faces the main street, or other side at the back which has magnificent views of the valley. I prefer the veranda, elevated but is right on the main drag for long afternoons. Also check out the bar with great solid woodwork. Had a light lunch with friends and a lot of wine. Food was perfectly fine ranging from hamburgers, a Mediterranean type platter and steak tartar. The food was much improved since my last visit a few years ago.

Room tip: Cant speak about accommodation.
Date of stay: September 2018