All reviews old world charm gin and tonic half price beautiful hotel course dinner cape town happy hour couple of years get away colonial style quaint town friendly service filet a real gem lovely room riebeek valley well worth a visit
Reviewed 13 November 2018

We visited the Royal Hotel in Riebeek Kasteel as part of a planning session for work. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel. It is very tastefully decorated, and the rooms and service was very good. The food in the restaurant, even though it took some time to prepare, was of excellent quality. I will definitely go back if I get the chance, and I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2018

We were treated with the utmost courtesy and charm by all the personnel with whom we had contact, from arrival to departure.

The hotel is classic South African in both design and furnishing, and we had a delightful stay and an excellent breakfast from the wide choices on the menu.

The only negative, and it is fairly significant, is that the room we had (Room 4), although well appointed, comfortable and very clean, was small and dark, with no view. There was no window to let in fresh air apart from the balcony door, and we would not have felt safe sleeping with those doors open. The King Suites, which were not available when we booked, might have been better in those respects, but at R1000 more per night, they should.

For just under R2000/night, I expected a better room. The price was not the problem but the value for money it represents compared with other properties where we regularly stay in South Africa, and in Europe for that matter, is very poor.

I suspect that the Royal is profiting from its dominance in a very popular and beautiful village. I am not in the 'price conscious' category of traveller, but I do resent being charged a high price for poor value.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018

If visiting Riebeek Kasteel it would be stupid not to stop over at either the magnificently long veranda ("stoep") which faces the main street, or other side at the back which has magnificent views of the valley. I prefer the veranda, elevated but is right on the main drag for long afternoons. Also check out the bar with great solid woodwork. Had a light lunch with friends and a lot of wine. Food was perfectly fine ranging from hamburgers, a Mediterranean type platter and steak tartar. The food was much improved since my last visit a few years ago.

Room tip: Cant speak about accommodation.
Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank MattJNB
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

During our visit to Riebeeck Kasteel, me and my wife decided on a Monday dinner at the Royal Hotel.

Chef Dale suprised us with an exceptional 5 course dinner. The well presented beautiful plated food was a journey of flavour awakening pleasure. We will definitely be back for more.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 776mias
Reviewed 25 September 2018

The Royal hotel was suggested as one of the venues open on a Sunday evening. At first we were told the restaurant was full but if we arrived at 6pm they would be able to accommodate us which we duly did. We ordered one of the local Rose's to be told they do not have it and could chose between two others but sadly the wine was warm. We both ordered the Pork Belly but what a disappointment apart from the crackling. It was dried out and we had to ask for steak knives. A real pity because the setting is beautiful old colonial.

Date of stay: September 2018