All reviews old world charm gin and tonic half price room service beautiful hotel cape town course dinner hotel restaurant couple of years quaint town happy hour main building underfloor heating friendly service pure bliss heated towel rail watching the world
Reviewed 29 November 2017

Nice coffee and carrot-cake, with old-world character, and friendly service.

Did not stay over so we cannot rate the accommodation, but it looked quite pleasant albeit very expensive ..... not for anybody who wants value for money.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

The Royal Hotel in Riebeecks Kasteel is a grand old lady as you sit on her veranda (South African word) and sip on a fruit salad of gin and tonic. You can see the bwooden bar where the farmers and travelers tied their horses when they can’t to town on a Friday night. Try their antipasti oh my goodness such value for money. The cheese is local and amazing, the soda bread and meats, go so well with the different varieties of gin. I recommend the Inverroche Amber. If you should wonder into this valley don’t leave without a bottle of olive oil, you won’t regret it.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2017

We stayed for a weekend away in the hotel. Luckely we choose one of the suites outside the main building- this rooms are very spacious and modern with their own terrace. The standard rooms in the main building are quit small. The service is really bad- especially at the restaurant. We had the impression nobody is overlooking the staff- for example the staff has got a kettle standing in the restaurant on top of the bar to make their own coffee. in front of all hotel guests. The dinner in the restaurant was average and the breakfast absolutely disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

When my fiance and myself by an off chance ended up at the Royal Hotel for a drink we fell in love with the beauty and feeling of this amazing location and decided then and there to have our wedding reception at the hotel.

Ever since I started the planning and tried to correspond with the hotel it was an absolute nightmare! The package information they provide regarding weddings is not accurate at all. Regarding the pricing, there was so much that got added after the fact that was not stated anywhere! I even asked them to show me where I signed acknowledgement of these extra fees. They are the most money hungry people I have EVER experienced. Their management is a joke, as a paying client I have never experienced such attitude! Its disgusting! As soon as they had our money their attitude changed dramatically, my fiance had to contact the management to find out what the hell was going on and why I was being treated in such a way. Apart from having a list of responsibilities which I gave them and an order of events with time line they were so disorganised. They didn't have enough tables, chairs or table cloth

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We were very excited to go to the Royal Hotel. We had read all about the wonderful Happy Hour with the famous gin and tonics at 1/2 price. It was disappointing as firstly the bar only had a few seats at the actual bar , the rest of the room was filled with table and chairs set for dinnertime. It was too cold to sit on the stoep so we ended up in the rather drab lounge. The most upsetting bit was that they no longer do the 1/2 price happy hour and the gins are now expensive!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends