“Absolutely blown away! PART 1”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gorkhi Terelj National Park
Jalman Meadows Wilderness Camp
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I started researching on a trip to Mongolia a year ago and realised I had just missed the season. So I waited all these months to kick-start the conversation with prospective tour operators. Nomadic Journeys and 360 Mongolia was the first site I researched, and upon first contact with them, they didn't disappoint. Narangarav, who was liaising with me via email never failed to reply in a prompt fashion and always had a lot of information to to quell my concerns- I was planning to travel with my 6 year old son.
They were were helpful in suggesting itineraries that would suit us and once we decided to go ahead, the transactions (they have their own convenient online payment portal) and pre-departure checks went along very smoothly. We didn't need need a visa, so that was great.
Even when we had last minute inclusions to our group, it was handled with no fuss.
We arrived on 1 Sept 2017 and although Nomadic Journeys offered to help with the hotel bookings in UB, I decided to try out my own choice. Discussions with Nagarangav was easy and seamless via whatsapp and he was understanding and helpful in getting me an additional airport transfer as I had missed my connecting Air China flight from Beijing to UB.

(A word of caution on Air China- be prepared for delays, crappy after-service and missing flights. We missed our connecting both ways, which is never fun with a young child in tow).

We arrived at Jalman Meadows the next day after a 3 hour+ drive and we were to spend the next four nights at the ger camp then move off for another four nights on a Yak Trek.

Although four days and nights at one place seemed excessive, we realised that there was actually a Leno ugh activities to keep us busy all that time. Even though we were technically self-guided, the English speaking staff would ask us nightly what our plans were for the next day, so they had ample time to prepare. If the horse were booked or it was raining, they would suggest alternative times and other things to do.
Being shrewd researchers- we plied them with questions on throat singing, wrestling, fermented mare's milk, visiting a nomad family.. And although there was nothing like that there except a nomad family nearby, they were helpful in giving us suggestions and alternatives, even telling us that the men at the camp could wrestle for us if we wished. We bashfully declined their sweet offer!

When it came to the meals, they really outdid themselves with what they had to offer. Meals were served in the restaurant ger at fixed times, three times a day and it consisted of a salad starter, soup and a main course. Breakfast was a local spread of dairy products, fried breads, cured meat and eggs. I've never been this well-fed in a while! I really love meat and Asian dishes so I was hoping for more local fare, but the western dishes they churned out was no less than delicious. For all the meals we had there, nothing on the menu was repeated! A good thing to note, in Mongolia alcohol is very affordable and there was lots of wines and local Vodka at the camp to keep us warm and happy.

Some of the activities we did were horseriding- there's always a horseman with you so not to worry. Also I was pleasantly surprised to see some helmets and half chaps available for the guests use. My son and I lugged our own helmets there. :)

We got to enjoy rafting, archery, hikes, making friends at the bonfire and generally just taking in the majesty of the land and people.

Also good to note that the outhouse situation was superb as well. They made everyone feel pretty comfortable in what seemed like a little log cabin with mirror, sink, paper towel dispenser, soap and bin. Very posh! Just don't look down with your headlamp in the middle of the night. Ha.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Most ger camps in Mongolia fail to lift themselves beyond the ordinary. Jalman does exactly that and in some style. Attention to detail is obvious in the decoration of the accommodation, library, restaurant and shower gers. The accommodation gers have a particular "wow" factor when you first enter them. Add to that the beautiful mountain and river setting, the wandering Yak herds, an extremely helpful and friendly staffing of eager young Mongolians, the relative absence of marauding tourists and you have the makings of an idyll. Even a week here would be too little to do it full justice and most folk will stay substantially shorter periods than that. There's plenty to keep you occupied with rafting, kayaking, walking, riding, archery and even the chance to role play in traditional Mongolian dress. You may also hear a yak munching grass behind your ger in the small hours.

A couple of negatives : the food does not reach the highs of some other ger camps, although it does have its moments and the cash bar is somewhat over-priced.

Room Tip: Go for one of the gers furthest from the central restauarnt ger
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Let's get this out of the way: If you want to experience the Steppe in a comfortable and relaxing setting, look no further than Jalman Meadows!

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect, though. I booked this at the last minute as part of a RTW trip and I'm so glad I did.

I was lucky to snag the last ger during my intended dates. I also chose to book a guide to accompany me, which turned out to be a good thing because she made it much easier to adapt to camp and plan my time.

Once you arrive at Jalman Meadows, the activities are many: From mountain biking (fantastic!) to trekking (beautiful...) to horseback riding (you have to do this!), all of the activities are approachable and rewarding.

The scenery is beautiful and encourages total relaxation. The food was delicious and the accommodations quite comfortable. I left with many new friends and eager to return.

Check it out, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time.

Room Tip: For the most fun, sign up for a guide who speaks your language.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Really. This was unforgettable. If only it had lasted longer than two nights. The trip from Ulan Bator is long and bumpy but then you find yourself in the most beautiful river valley. Not wilderness exactly for there are people around, but not many. The gers are set up in a crescent on a large flowery meadow that turns into forest or grassy slopes on the surrounding hills. Everything seems to be shades of living green and blue sky. It's almost to lovely for words.
The gers are lovely too, and quite comfortable (except for the beds that are somewhat hard). Bathroom facilites are necessarily somewhat basic, but perfectly adequate with gravity fed basins in the gers and communal outhouses.
There is no shortage of things to do and places to go. The food in the main ger was good and plentiful. Service likewise. Bring warm clothes and a rain jacket. The weather can change fast. But the sun is soon back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Lovely gers in this small wilderness camp. Lighting and lockable box, outside chairs, cushions etc. Little wash basin.

Library ger with games equipment (archery etc), books and telescope.

Flies can be a problem so there are some netted seating areas to enjoy beers, although these are expensive here (the most expensive we came across, almost double other places).

Good / interesting shower gers.

Food fairly good although some meat was found in 'veggie' soup one evening.

Good location for riding.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
#6 of 107 in Ulaanbaatar
HS Khaan Resort Hotel
HS Khaan Resort Hotel
#17 of 60 in Ulaanbaatar

Been to Jalman Meadows Wilderness Camp? Share your experiences!