“A Delightful Week”
other traveller has booked this property
Welcome to Bakers Cottage, in Minchinhampton!
...with real log burner Unfolding the dining table in the living room
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
...with real log burner
Unfolding the dining table in the living room
The cottage has a perfect country feel
Heading upstairs, with the archway looking into the living room...
Fabulous quality and design
Bakers Cottage has elegance and style!
The lovely first floor family bathroom
Heading upstairs to the top floor...
The dreamy, characterful top floor room, with king size bed - a perfect choice for couples
Bakers Cottage has many lovely character features...
Elegant, cottage style
The rooftops of Minchinhampton, a classic Cotswold village
A small, but lovely piece of the countryside!
Take a seat, and relax...
The wood store!
Garden features
Bakers Cottage is the perfect Cotswold escape
The old market square
Historic features
The central war memorial
The impressive local church
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Diana F
“A Delightful Week”
Reviewed 11 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

I really enjoyed staying in Baker's Cottage as it is a very comfortable and cosy cottage. Everything one needed was supplied plus a welcome cake and tea on arrival. Wifi, comfy beds amazing water pressure and a pretty walled garden are there to enjoy. It has a lovely atmosphere and the owner was extremely kind and helpful when I need some advice.
It is an interesting area to explore, with the old buildings in the village and the beautiful common around it where the cows can wander freely in the buttercups.
One day I would like to go there again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The atmosphere.
Liked least: Parking
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
lag6789_
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 6 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

I stayed at the cottage with my boyfriend and 2 friends, it was exactly as described - a lovely cottage in a great location. It was a shame that the pub at the end of the road was under refurb (!) but none the less we had a great stay. Would definitely recommend.

Travelling group: Friends
13 Jun 2016
Dear Louise and Simon,

I'm so glad you and your friends enjoyed your stay at Bakers Cottage, it was lovely to have you and I'm so glad I was able to help when you contacted me for suggestions of lovely, local, pubs in the area. I hope you enjoyed them! Warm regards Sophie
1customer...
north west
“Not as expected”
Reviewed 2 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

This cottage was not at all what we expected and a real disappointment. I will try to be balanced though and give some positives first:
-booking process with Character Cottages was easy, friendly and efficient – we also had a late booking reduction;
-good general area of the Cotswolds, not too touristy;
-attractive village;
-some nice decorative touches;
-pretty, if tiny, garden;
-Wi-Fi included;
-iPod dock;
-utilities in working order.
However, if you are thinking of booking this be aware that:
-there is no parking outside the cottage but several hundred metres further along the street - no fun with suitcases in the rain;
-despite being in a fairly large village there is nowhere to eat out at night that doesn't involve a drive;
-the local cow population roam freely outside - so watch your shoes as you convey your suitcases and don't even think about wheeling them along the pavement;
-upper bedroom is far from ‘enchanting’ and completely exposed to the first floor landing;
-bathroom is mouldy round the windows;
-living room window is draughty and a scarf is needed when sitting on the sofa on a windy day;
-the cottage is on a main road in and out of the village and there is constant traffic noise, so if you're a light sleeper, take earplugs;
-the smoke alarm was beeping on arrival due to low battery - training issue for housekeeping staff who must have been aware and chose to ignore it;
-furniture has been moved from room to room for the pictures so you can't tell how terribly cramped the living areas are - it's impossible to seat 4 people at the table;
-the kitchen is particularly tiny with only the most basic of equipment most of which has seen better days - we spent a week boiling water in a pot as the kettle was in such a state it was unusable;
-DVD player supplied but no DVDs;
-no walk books;
-no hairdryer;
-even though the company we booked through advertised 'initial consumables' as part of the package we had a packet of supermarket biscuits dumped in a basket with leaflets and not even a pint of milk was available to make a cup of tea on arrival;
-the directions to the property were awful - the owner basically directs you to study google maps!
-the owner does not give the impression of caring what sort of holiday you have - we had communication from her not on a postcard to say 'welcome' as we've had in most cottages we've been to, or in the form of a polite knock on the door and offer of help / enquiry as to how we were getting on like we've had at some holiday cottages we've been to, but in the form of a simultaneous e-mail and text on the penultimate day demanding we take out the rubbish and repeating instructions which were already in the cottage!
There is little care going into this rental - not recommended!

Liked best: General location
Liked least: Lack of care by the owner
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
4 Aug 2015
Character Cottages, as a marketing agency, does not look after or maintain any cottages.

The following is written by the owner of the cottage:

I am sorry that you have found certain aspects unsatisfactory during your recent stay at Bakers Cottage, and I wanted to take the time to reply to your feedback. a number of the points you raise are as advertised on the Character Cottages website, but I am happy to go through these in detail.

“There is no parking outside the cottage but several hundred metres further along the street - no fun with suitcases in the rain”
- Depending on times of day and days of the week the amount of local traffic can vary but there is free on street parking available almost opposite the cottage as well as the free parking further along the street.

“Despite being in a fairly large village there is nowhere to eat out at night that doesn't involve a drive”
- Minchinhampton does have some evening eating options but as with rural communities often a drive is required. ‘Sophie’s’ restaurant on the high street is open on selected evenings, ‘Munchinhampton’ is open Friday evenings, there is a take away fish and chip shop and on Tuesday evenings there is a pop-up wood fired pizza takeaway. Many of these are detailed on the website.

“The local cow population roam freely outside - so watch your shoes as you convey your suitcases and don't even think about wheeling them along the pavement”
- The website does make reference to the cows freely roaming but for us this is part of the charm of living here!

“Upper bedroom is far from ‘enchanting’ and completely exposed to the first floor landing”
- We think the bedroom is ‘enchanting’ and the website does clearly state that it opens directly from the first floor.

“Bathroom is mouldy round the windows”
- I am sorry if you found any evidence of mould. I will have this addressed immediately.

“Living room window is draughty and a scarf is needed when sitting on the sofa on a windy day”
- Unfortunately some old Grade listed buildings do suffer from the occasional draft. I will look into measures to reduce this.

“The cottage is on a main road in and out of the village and there is constant traffic noise, so if you're a light sleeper, take earplugs”
- Whilst there are no main roads in Minchinhampton the cottage is described as being set in the heart of the village and consequently there will be passing traffic. The windows are not double glazed as the cottage is Listed.

“The smoke alarm was beeping on arrival due to low battery - training issue for housekeeping staff who must have been aware and chose to ignore it”
- Thank you for bringing this to my attention as the housekeeper had not. I will have it addressed immediately.

“Furniture has been moved from room to room for the pictures so you can't tell how terribly cramped the living areas are - it's impossible to seat 4 people at the table”
- Bakers Cottage is a small, cosy, cottage and as the website says: “In order to provide you with as much detail of our properties as possible, we sometimes use wide angle photography, which can make certain rooms, or spaces, appear larger than they actually are. “ The table is a drop leaf and as such needs to be set up correctly. Once done it can easily accommodate four people.

“The kitchen is particularly tiny with only the most basic of equipment most of which has seen better days - we spent a week boiling water in a pot as the kettle was in such a state it was unusable”
- I’m sorry to hear this and would very much have appreciated it if you had contacted me to let me know about the problems you were having with the kettle. The previous guests and the guests after did not raise this as an issue. The kettle was in fact new only a couple of months ago.

“DVD player supplied but no DVDs; no walk books; no hairdryer”
- Although I thank you for these suggestions, none of the above is provided as detailed on the inventory on the website.

“Even though the company we booked through advertised 'initial consumables' as part of the package we had a packet of supermarket biscuits dumped in a basket with leaflets and not even a pint of milk was available to make a cup of tea on arrival”
- On arrival a pack of luxury biscuits were provided for you to enjoy. The website clearly states what is provided as ‘initial consumables’.

“The directions to the property were awful - the owner basically directs you to study google maps!”
- The pinpoint locator on the website is exact to the location of the cottage. I will speak to Character Cottages about further expanding directions if needed.

“The owner does not give the impression of caring what sort of holiday you have - we had communication from her not on a postcard to say 'welcome' as we've had in most cottages we've been to, or in the form of a polite knock on the door and offer of help / enquiry as to how we were getting on like we've had at some holiday cottages we've been to, but in the form of a simultaneous e-mail and text on the penultimate day demanding we take out the rubbish and repeating instructions which were already in the cottage! There is little care going into this rental - not recommended!”
- I am sorry that you feel this way as my guests are of my foremost concern. Should you have wished to contact me at any time during your stay you were more than welcome to, although as with all my guests I initially left you to enjoy your holiday in peace without intrusion. I provide a copy of the communication regarding the rubbish. I do not feel that the following is demanding at all: “I hope that you are having a wonderful stay at Bakers Cottage. As you may or may not have read in the welcome pack it is bin day tomorrow in Minchinhampton, so please may you put your black rubbish bags (and green recycling bin) outside the front door Thursday evening for Friday am collection. Please do not leave this until Friday morning as the bin men can come early! Many thanks for your cooperation.” As Character Cottages have discussed with you “Often guests don’t always see messages left at the property for them so on occasion owners do need to get in touch with direct messages.”

I do hope you were able to enjoy your break in the Cotswolds despite your feedback and I thank you for bringing all these points to my attention.
Antoinett...
Waalre, The Netherlands
“Lovely cottage in a beautiful area”
Reviewed 14 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Very comfortable cottage in a charming little Cotswold village. Provides everything you need, in good condition, very nice atmosphere. A lot of beautiful things to see in the area: Bath, beautiful Cotswold villages, Berkeley Castle, Cotswold Wildlife Park, etc.
The living room is a bit small and the garden a little dangerous for small children because of the ten stone steps that are in it, but overall a lovely place to stay.

Travelling group: Young Children
Traveller...
Geraardsbergen, Belgium
“Perfect Cotswolds holiday cottage”
Reviewed 8 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Perfect place and base to visit the Cotswolds. Very nice and typical Cotswolds holiday home with all comfort in a lovely little village. Living room a little bit small but for the rest everything we needed. Little shop and restaurants nearby on walking distance.

Travelling group: Tieners
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
15 Jul 2015
The following response has been written by Character Cottages, the marketing agents for Bakers Cottage:

“We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Bakers Cottage. It sounds like the cottage certainly provided a fantastic base for your time in the Cotswolds. I’m sorry to hear that on this occasion you did not find the booking process very easy. As the marketing and booking agents, we always welcome any feedback about how we can improve this process to make it as simple and straight forward to book as possible, so thank you for bringing this to our attention”
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing