Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Rene Oosthuysen
Johannesburg, South Africa

Commendable service

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 08 Feb 2019via mobile
I organized a team conference at this venue together with the team from the hotel and it was a massive success. Every single thing ran smoothly. The meals were delicious, the rooms luxurious and every small request was met with a smile and immediate results. I cannot thank them enough for making a potentially stressful event seem effortless. Special mention goes to Leona for her calm manner, she has the perfect temperament for an events coordinator.
Date of stay: February 2019
  • ZenHotels.com
    R 2 378
49.6 km from The Marion on Nicol
View more hotels in Greater Johannesburg
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 January 2019 via mobile

I spent 3 days here in transit and found it a peaceful haven from the rather scary and intimidating city, although it’s very close by taxi if necessary.
Exceptional massage from Patience at the Camelot Spa, could not recommend her enough. Best part of my stay.
Breakfast was excellent.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2018

i stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and i am surprised that so many people have left negative comments.
i've got nothing but good things to say about this hotel.
The room was spacious, nice cold AC, delicious breakfast and a very comfortable bed.
i was treated great. the only thing i will say is that the restaurant should have more options; i was craving a burger and fries and they did not have that on the menu.

i will definitely come back to this property!!

Jimmy J Villalobos World Traveler

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

This is supposed to be a Boutique Hotel situated in the upmarket suburbs of Northern Johannesburg-actually looks like I am arriving at a shebeen in The south -litter all over the pavements outside along the Stirling and Hamilton Avenues don’t leave one with a lot of confidence in their ability to deliver the customer promise

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We booked the restaurant for my 50th birthday, and I was really satisfied with the occasion.
The restsurant is a classy, elegant space with beautiful furnishings so no extra decorations are needed (although we did have balloons which added to the festive ambiance. )

The room comfortably accommodated 60 people and the buffet menu we selected was very good with a wide selection for our guests.

The staff were very receptive to our requirements and requests, very professional and polite and very accommodating.

Overall, a very positive experience on the night and many if our guests also commented favourably on the venue.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2018

A property displaying "World Luxury Hotel" awards on a pedestal in the lobby should be able to provide basic services. Staff tries to assist, but it is clear management, General Manager Mr. Shawn(sp?), is overwhelmed or under-qualified.

My party of multiple guests all complained about poor internet service in rooms, myself included. Front desk claimed it called in tech to repair - but management didn't follow up ('net still didn't work) before the weekend started. Hotel IT doesn't work weekends, apparently.

I complained, stating I had crucial video, photos, files to review and needed a decent internet connection. I asked for the hotel GM to contact me with an explanation and solution. I was given a comp. meal at the restaurant - but never heard from Hotel GM Mr. Sean.

After second night of faulty internet, and Front Desk insistence that it had a strong signal at hotel reception - I decided to take up a chair at the hotel reception desk with my computer to experience this alleged strong internet signal. The signal was rubbish, but I stayed there 1.5 hours anyway, working online, and to make a point. And it was - fascinating - what I learned:
-one guest came to the desk complaining that his room tv had no cable box installed.
-another guest came to reception armed with video of him brushing his teeth, and of rusty water coming out of the faucet.
-a guest claimed water wouldn't drain out of the bathroom (unclear if that's toilet, bath or shower).
-a guest complained money was stolen from his room safe.
-a guest asked how it was possible he was being charged a corkage fee, when his alcohol bottles were in his room - unless someone had entered his room without authorization, found the booze, then codified the infraction by adding a fee to the guest's bill.
-a guest claimed his room heat/air conditioning didn't work.
-a guest said he was so angry with a lack of response from management that he was ready to "punch" the General Manager.
-----
ALL OF THIS HAPPENED WITHIN 90 MINUTES OF MY SITTING AT HOTEL RECEPTION.
-----
Smaller pain in the butt things from my room: no stationary/pen (I needed envelopes for expenses), no iron, no shoe shine. Also: dining room was roasting hot Monday b/c (staff said) air conditioning broke down. Some well-meaning staff are undertrained (I would ask the waiter, "I understand you serve dessert here?" Reply: "Yes." [silence]. Me: "Well, could I see a dessert menu, please?").
The super salty room-service mushroom soup (served in a sauce jar that wait staff said had been microwaved, along with a soup bowl, so I could pour it myself), seems to have re-appeared as mushroom sauce for eggs on the breakfast menu.
----
I digress. Bottom line(s):
-basic services are lacking
-staff suffering under leadership apparently not up to the job.
-I would have loved to have present my concerns to the GM, but he never responded to requests to connect. It is clear why he wouldn't have the time.

Next time, for a cool boutique hotel? I'm returning to The Monarch Hotel over in Rosebank. I took my colleagues to the Monarch today for a visit, suggesting they do the same.

--- Oh, did I mention this place requested I PREPAY MY FOUR NIGHT STAY before giving me a room key? ---

Room tip: Go elsewhere (sorry!)
Date of stay: June 2018