“Christening Reception”

The Dukes Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dukes Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Description: The Dukes is a 260 year old restaurant & pub with rooms. Our mission is to create a great place to eat, drink & stay in Leighton Buzzard. We are open to the public for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner in our restaurant, outdoor patio or bar area where we are also dog friendly. We are a gastropub style restaurant. Our menu is changed often and designed to include all tastes.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We had our reception at The Dukes last Sunday for our daughters Christening.
I had about 60/70 guests and due to the weather being so nice people sat outside so was nicely spread out.
We had the bar area privately hired.
The service was very good. Food was lovely, ran out quite quickly but they were happy to make more sandwiches and chicken which they kindly didn’t charge extra for.
The staff also set up the room with the balloons, bunting and cake I dropped off the day before.
Can’t fault the effort and had a really lovely time. The only thing I would say is that there was only 2 members of staff and sometimes was a bit of a wait at the bar so maybe 3 people would have been better.
Definitely recommend for any party.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

I only ate at the Dukes a week ago and I have already forgotten the experience sadly. It is a pleasant looking place and the staff are all very friendly. It has a lot of traditional dishes on the menu so if you are looking for something special and innovative this is not the place for you. If you like good old fashioned British fayre this could be right up your street. it is kind of one or two small notches up from pub grub but definitely not a gastro pub.

One of my problems when eating out is that I like my meat properly rare. As the French would call it Bleu. I remain baffled why so few chefs will ever deliver me rare meat. I chose the lamb at the Dukes and made of point of asking for it very rare. I always have to say this because if I don't the best I will get is medium rare. Sadly the lamb came out medium well done so way over coked for my taste thus destroying most of the flavour.

The other problem I have is that my better half does not like anybody complaining about anything. She finds it embarrassing and says if you don't like it just don't go back. I try to tell her that a good restaurant really appreciates hearing about complaints as without them they can't improve what they do. So sadly, I didn't raise the over cooked lamb with the restaurant but we will go back and I will tell them about it then.

So this is good reliable food with reasonable but not exciting flavours done in reasonably nice surroundings. It's good but not great so therefore nothing special.

1  Thank MarkAOrr
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We booked this place as it was half way between Milton Keynes and Tring which was convenient for us. We were celebrating an 84th birthday.
We were all very happy with the ambience, the food and the service.
The waiting staff were very helpful and pleasant. The addition of actual table cloths real napkins is a small thing but actually makes a big difference.
The food was excellent. My only observation is that the portions are slightly on the small side but are still good value and very tasty.
I would definitely recommend this place if you want good food in a nice environment with good service with good value.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

This is a really lovely place to eat. We sat in the restaurant a the back of the pub which was spacious and airy. Waiting staff were extremely friendly and attentive. Food was outstanding. My son had the calamari to start which was some of the freshest tasting, most delicious calamari we have ever tried. Mains were just as good, Fish pie tasted genuinely home-made and was packed with fish. Everything was well-cooked and portions very generous. This is definitely a place to visit often!

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

A nice find in a small village.
The evening meal was really nice and the atmosphere cosy with a log fire.
The room was rather small but perfectly adequate.
Breakfast offered plenty of choice and was more than adequate.
The attention given to us was exemplary and overall we were very pleased.
The cost was quite reasonable but for accuracy we felt the meals were a little expensive.