“Was worried after reviews below, but we had a fantastic meal”
Review of Waggon & Horses

Waggon & Horses
Ranked #12 of 35 Restaurants in Westhoughton
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Pub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Waggon and Horses is under new ownership from the 9th January 2018 following the closure of the previous business. We are a pub-restaurant that specialises in home cooked, freshly prepared British and International dishes and we have a range of dishes priced to suit most pockets. Our business is building and we are looking forward to expanding even further. We are open from 12-00 noon until 11pm Mon-Saturday and 12-00 noon until 10-30pm Sundays. Food is served Monday to Saturday 12-00 until 9-00 and until 8-00 pm on Sundays. Our superb range of cask ales and other alcoholic drinks and beverages such as freshly brewed tea and coffee are available. We are also open on Bank Holiday Mondays 12-00 noon - 10.30pm. We have a great patio at the rear of the pub that looks out over the local countryside and across to Rivington Pike and we have, probably, the best example of stained glass windows-outside of a church-in the area, which depict scenes from the history of Westhoughton.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went today for a family meal for my sons birthday, there were 9 of us ranging from 74 to 4 & a baby. We had rung ahead to pre booked our meals & when we arrived they had arranged a large table for us. I do think some of the reviews have had an impact as I expected it to be far busier on bank holiday Monday, but for us it was superb, we could chat openly & the kids could be kids without worrying about other diners. We had multiple visits by bar staff offering drinks which was greatly appreciated & meant we had more time as a family. Between us we had one of almost everything off the menu.. ok yes the selection was limited, but we all found something we wanted & I think having a reduced menu possibly meant the food was better than others had found it... though this is just a guess. I would recommend the roast chicken if your hungry & the sticky toffee pudding off the children's menu ( adult size) it's gorgeous... but not the pavlova. We had a phenomenal 2 hrs here...and staff made sure the meal was memorable for the right reasons..... I just want the staff to have a fair hearing on here, as they pulled out all the stops today.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was very disappointed when I arrived here for a quick drink. we went here with our young son. when we asked for a table for the three of us one off the staff member looked puzzled. so I asked the question again table for three. we ended up having a drink in the seating area in the car park at the back as it was clear as we had a pram we was not welcome inside. I will not return to this place as it's not child friendly. the clientele was very stuck up as well and the staff for that matter looked us up and down but anyway we will never return .... sort it out !!!!

1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I thought the days of poor menus with cheap ingredients were over.
But no still available here.

Soft cheap Nachos with melted cheese and creme fresh to start with.
Worst and smallest piece of Sirloin I've had in a long time.
Staff very friendly.

Finally why mop the floor with bleach when you still have 4 tables of customers still drinking at 9.40pm !

Can't see a future for this pub with the local competition on offer.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We are regulars at the Waggon and Horses and have been coming for many years for food and drinks. Since being taken over a few weeks ago everything has been slowly going downhill. We have been a few times over the last few weeks and each time we have been disappointed but know anywhere can have a bad day so have been willing to give the benefit of doubt. Been today for lunch and have decided not to return again unless a lot of changes are made. Firstly, the menus are very, very limited ( and made worse due to the fact they hadn't had a meat delivery so half of stuff wasn't available) - basic pub grub but charged at restaurant rates - there are many cheaper and much better quality places to eat locally. It took a very long time for our meal to arrive and when it did arrive was very basic, over cooked and poor quality for prices. Very understaffed (normally at least two bar staff so one can serve food whilst other serving drinks if needed) The poor girl working the bar and waiting on tables was run off her feet (and much respect to her for being so polite and keeping calm under pressure) The drinks and food prices have remained the same as they used to be but the quality of food has been halved. A lot of people are talking about this problem and a lot of valued customers are going elsewhere even if to travel further afield for good food and drink. Hoping in the future these reviews will get back up to a good standard and people start to recommend the Waggon and Horses again and we will be back.

1  Thank nicolajh105
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Took the family on Sunday for a late lunch and we were given a table quite near the bar , not very busy at 4pm when we sat down and at 4:10 a lady took our drinks order ... 4.15 drinks arrived and we ordered from the menu, 2 x sunday lunches and 2 x burger meals 2x onion rings. 2 party's of 2 came in behind us and sat down. nearby. we waited .... the 2 party's ordered drinks and meals and as time passed they both received their meals before us. at 5pm I asked at the bar where our meals were and told him about the others being served before us.. and was told that he had only just clocked in so really didn't know but would ask someone.. he came back apologised and said 5 mins.. I asked why and he said there was only 2 in the kitchen.. we finally received the burger meals at 5.15 and our roasts at 5.20 ,, the onion rings which I had forgotten about came 5 mins later.
The food was nice ....
whilst we ate the 2 partys paid and left,, we finished and as we had been in for a while I went to the bar to pay instead of asking for the bill. The table number was 15 and the bill came to ......£89.00 !!!! the receipt had food and drinks on it we had not had and when I questioned it I was made to wait until the manager investigated ,,asked me twice was I sure we had not had 3 children's meals , Ice cream and 2 main meals alongside our 4 meals and 4 drinks. eventually some calm and common-sense prevailed and while there were more staff than I had seen all afternoon dealing with it I paid and we left. Its a real shame as we had been to this Pub before and been happy with it but now ???? not so sure I will return.. Sorry

2  Thank Ken H