All reviews the atlantic ocean camps bay clifton beach cape town lions head decor views house
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Our stay at this hotel was simply outstanding. The hotel is a converted mansion on the famous Nettleton Road in Cape Town. Nettleton Road is probably the most expensive/exclusive road in the whole of Africa, certainly in South Africa anyway. As a local Capetonian returning to South Africa for a holiday, I spotted 21 Nettleton on Hotels.com and saw the opportunity to stay on a street I've always dreamt of.

The hotel consists of only 6 bedrooms (which is a good thing). All of the rooms, except the lions head room, have the most incredible sea views you can imagine. Each of the bedrooms are very generously sized for a hotel (another benefit of being a converted mansion), and are decorated and dressed with the most exquisite linens and furnishings. No detail is forgotten.

We were lucky enough to stay here whilst there were no other guests, so it felt like we had this beautiful mansion all to ourselves. The staff were incredibly attentive, and struck the perfect balance of being constantly available when you needed them, but not too much that you felt intruded upon. Incredibly friendly at all times.

I've stayed in a my fair share of other top end hotels, and the staff can be arrogant and snooty. This is not the case here. The staff were professional and friendly, and really made you feel as though the space was your own home.

My only problem with staying in this hotel is, where does one go from here? Very difficult to beat...

Room tip: All rooms incredible! Front/sea facing ones best.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DirkCJacobs, General Manager at 21 Nettleton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear Luke,

Greetings!

Thank you very much for this fabulous review. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dirk & the team

Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

We have been fortunate enough to stay in some lovely places abroad but 21 Nettleton was beyond our expectations and will make staying anywhere else second rate.

Hugo has opened his stunning home to be shared and enjoyed. Hugo and the staff will make you feel so welcome from the minute you arrive in the castle like home.

We were fortunate to stay in the Penthouse which is called the Presidential suite. The suite occupies the whole top floor with 360 degree views of Table Mountain, Lions Head, Clifton beach and all the way to Camps Bay and beyond.

The decor in the penthouse was modern opulence with classic feature pieces and two large marble Bathrooms. Bluetooth stereo allowed us to play our favourite music whilst enjoying the privacy and opulence of this home. They also have an iPad for use to contact the staff for anything you may need or desire or to watch Netflix.

The view of the pool and garden that Hugo has lovingly nurtured was a pleasure to enjoy with uninterrupted sea views in the distance. A true slice of paradise watching the African sunset over the Atlantic Ocean was unforgettable.

The service was excellent. They have two managers both Dirk and Raphael were extremely helpful and kind and made our stay delightful. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was undertaken discreetly and with no fuss. That included helping us with returning our rental car and booking restaurants and transport.

We had a bbq Braii on the Property cooked by Raphael where I had the pleasure of two lobsters and fish and my husband had all types of meat including gemsbok. Plus we had unlimited wines from their partner vineyard Buitenverwachting (which appropriately means beyond expectations). It was delicious and quite magic in the balmy evening with the sun going down over the pool and ocean. Truly an exceptional place. We spent quite a bit of time enjoying the property rather than venturing out into a busy Camps Bay.

We found out about 21 Nettleton through Ellerman House who recommended the property. However, travelling with our 3 year old son, we were struggling to find the right place- somewhere luxurious but that would also be child friendly. Fortunately, after speaking with Hugo he kindly agreed to waive the child free policy on the condition we understood that his house was full of antiques (which is true) and that it was not a typical child holiday place.

Coming from Australia where pools are fenced and railings a safe, (not the same system in SA) we made sure that we kept our son close by and kept an eye on him. The other consideration is that guests don't want running and screaming children when they are trying to relax which we totally understand. So we had our son on his best behaviour and Hugo and all the staff were incredibly accommodating and sweet to our son. The highlight for my husband was a car ride in Hugo's classic Jaguar which also involved a short ride for our son.

21 Nettleton is quite simply the benchmark for boutique luxury accomodation that cannot be surpassed. Thank you Hugo and the team - we will be back !

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DirkCJacobs, General Manager at 21 Nettleton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2017

Dear SandSSydney,

Greetings!

It was such a pleasure having you, Scott and Scotty stay at 21 Nettleton. Your kind words and praise will be shared with the team - thank you very much.

I am pleased that you found the Penthouse suitable and that you enjoyed the views from there. Our guests become like friends and your stay was no different, we miss you already!

I hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future for another BBQ Braai under the stars.

Best Regards,
Dirk

Reviewed 15 August 2016

This is the second time I have stayed here and the service just keeps on giving and getting better. The standards and service are amazing and one feels totally pampered.

There is no-where else I will stay when in Cape Town - Clifton paradise.

From the moment we arrived we were greeted by familiar friendly faces of the staff whom immediately took our luggage to the room.

We have bubbles on ice in our room, fresh fruit and chocolates. It was a beautiful evening so we relaxed upstairs and enjoyed some bubbles with a chessboard that was prepared for us.

We decided on this occasion to have dinner which was superb. Your wine is topped up immediately - water also which was lovely. The private chef they brought in prepared the most wonderful food for us. I was happy to then go and relax on the balcony and enjoy my surroundings.

Breakfast is served where ever you want it and is magnificent.

The views are the highest and best in Cape Town and really are as you see them in the photos!

I look forward to coming back and bringing my family also.

Thank you to Hugo, Raphael and Elodye for fantastic service.

Room tip: King Suite
Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank Charlotte W
Reviewed 10 August 2016

As a surprise for my 70th birthday I was so lucky to stay here; it was a wonderful & amazing experience, nothing was too much trouble for the staff from the moment we arrived to our departure, they wait on you hand & foot. Set high over looking beautiful Camps Bay & surrounded by the Twelve Apostles it is so peaceful whether out in the garden or relaxing on the most comfortable sofas on the patio. Inside there are many luxurious areas to relax surrounded by so many wonderful works of art. Cape Town centre is just a short ride away. Having stayed in many 5* places , 21 Nettleton is more than this ~~ 6/7* ~~ I HIGHLY RECOMEND a stay here & thank Hugo, Elodie & all the staff for such a memorable stay. Thank you so much.

Date of stay: July 2016
3  Thank franwinsor
21Nettleton, Owner at 21 Nettleton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

Dear Mrs Windsor,

WOW, thank you for such a glowing review. This is sincerely appreciated and we at 21NETTLETON are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Wishing you and your husband the very best from all of us.

Warm regards

Hugo

Reviewed 2 August 2016

I have had the privlege of staying at most hotels in Cape Town. Hugo and his team, combined with the epic house in a location that provides a view (that even panoramic photos cannot do justice to), make this a perfect stay.

This is not a hotel, its a home and provides a 6 star guesthouse feel with personal service and attention you simply cannot match. I recommend this to anyone.

Room tip: Presidential is the best of course. ;)
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Byron-Thomas84
21Nettleton, General Manager at 21 Nettleton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

Dear Byron,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at 21Nettleton.

Best Regards,