“The worst meal I had in the Azores”

Terra Nostra Garden Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Furnas
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our group was taken here for the famous cozida. I have had meals cooked in pits in other parts of the world,and enjoyed them. This was an awful meal - the mixed flavours did not go together for me - I had to leave it. Some vegetarians [yes!] ordered fish as an altenative and got a really nice looking meal.

On top of that, we were herded together with several other tour groups - the service was abysmal and we were treated like cattle. Let's get them in, fed and out again as fast as possible. Trying to order a drink was impossible until our guide came back and sorted things out.

AVOID this place. A tourist trap of the worst kind.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

The restaurant was lovely and the service was perfect. Maybe cozido is a dish that doesn't translate well if you make it without meat. The veggie version was good, but nothing to write home about--especially at those prices. We spent only 2 days in the Azores, and visited the gardens and the lake (where we saw the geothermal areas where the lunches cooked!) before lunch. Just beware if you take the gardens up on their offer of free admission if you show them a receipt that you've left a deposit for your lunch at the hotel. We rushed off after our lunch to our next activity and remembered the 20 Euro bill I'd left with the hotel desk clerk only when we returned to the states the next night. The hotel told me I'd have to show up in person, within 48 hours, to collect the deposit -- even though my name was still on their reservation list and I had used my credit card to charge lunch! After waiting ten minutes on hold for a supervisor, I hung up and called the credit card, and they credited that money back to my account. But I consider it bad policy that the hotel would not, under these circumstances, makes an exception to their rigid policy on refunding deposits. This is not a reflection of the restaurant, but of the hotel the restaurant is in.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Despite the charming ambiance, food is average and service is poor. The maître, in particular, displays a posture of superiority and aloofness that is incompatible with a pleasant restaurant. We dined there in a group of 11 to celebrate my birthday, and most people at the table felt annoyed by the attitude of this gentlemen, which somewhat impaired what could have been a most pleasant evening.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

After two successive bad experiences in another restaurants. We booked for dinner at Terra Nostra restaurant. Everything was perfect. Outstanding service and very good food.
We recommend the 32€ menu which includes a starter, the choice between the sirloin and a fish, and the dessert of your choice.
Special thanks to Milton that attended us.
The sirloin was very tender and tasty. For the dessert, we recommend the Panna cotta and the chocolate sphere.
It was so good that we had lunch at Terra Nostra on the next evening.

We definitely recommend.

Reviewed 1 June 2018

Several people recommended this restaurant to me as having the best cozida in Furnas, an American and some locals, so I had to go. I was very impressed.

First off, there are not enough stars listed for the quality of service we received. There was a swarm of staff bustling about the dining room making everything go just right. We were greeted and seated by the maitre d' dressed in full dinner attire, a white tuxedo. We thought all of a sudden we might be under-dressed but all the other guests were wearing casual resort wear, as we were, so I sighed with relief. Then the beverage/wine waiter appeared. He did not introduce himself as a sommelier but he was very familiar with the wine list and made an excellent wine recommendation based on my flavor preferences. I listened in on his interactions with those around us and he made similar excellent recommendations with them as well. One table ordered a big red, so he brought a decanter to their table. This was the first time I'd seen this in Portugal. Impressive indeed. Then there was the woman taking our orders, the woman changing the dishware as the courses progressed, and the man serving the various breads. Five people for our table. All in all, I saw about a dozen people working in the dining room with maybe 10-12 tables actually seated. But it wasn't just service by quantity, it was high quality service.

And the food? Delicious. We skipped appetizers as I knew the cozida would be filling and their desserts looked great. (Priorities.) It was fantastic. It came with five or six different meats, seven or eight different vegetables and rice all covered in a delicious, broth sauce. All their desserts were tempting but we opted for gelado and the chocolate sphere with passion fruit. The sphere was decadently rich chocolate mousse with chunks of passion fruit at its core and sitting in a passion fruit coulis. I had two scoops of pineapple and one scoop of mint gelado. It was a fantastic, refreshing and not overly sweet way to end the meal.

This restaurant is pricey for the Azores, but most European and American tourists will find it very affordable. And for the quality of food and service you get for the price, it is a steal of a deal.

Final tip: make a reservation in advance. Tourism is booming in the Azores and the restaurant fills up. While most places need a 24 hour advance reservation if you want cozida, this place does not. But, you need the reservation to secure your table.

I will absolutely eat here again and highly, highly recommend it to anyone visiting the island of Sao Miguel.