“OK place to ride camels”
Review of Camello Center

Camello Center
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in El Tanque
Reviewed 2 January 2017

OK place in the northern part of the island for those wishing to ride camels. A 15-20 minutes round tour at 5 Euros for children, 10 for adults. Plenty of animals (goats, rams, donkey, young camels) in the back, but we got no offer to feed them or just visit this part by foot, which kids to love.

Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

Very good we had fun riding camels on seats around the mountain track half hour Arabic costumes to wear if you wish good food n drink included staff very good friendly worth a trip

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Didn't ride the camels but stopped here fir drinks in the mountains when we're doing a tour of the island. Lovely terrace to enjoy a drink and explore the shop . Staff very nice

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

So enjoying a nice first time holiday with my boyfriend, we looked through the excursion brochure and saw this trip. I adore animals and was very excited to see these amazing camels who from the brochure picture looked well kept, happy, clean and were pictured, one camel on its own with no chains/ muzzle etc. So came our time to go and see the camels and we were both very excited; it started with a trip on a jeep through all of the beautiful mountains etc which was truely breathtaking!!! Then came the camel stop..... we had to wear some overalls and a head band/scalf which was fine but then came time to ride them. I have never been so upset in all my life, the camels looked so distressed and upset I did not want to go on! They were chained together very close together and they all had muzzles on which didn't particularly look comfortable. Me and my boyfriend both said we didn't want to go on as the camels looked distressed and unhappy, they did then get a camel which had been resting and appeared well and happy and did not make any grunts etc, it looked in a well kept condition so reluctantly we got on. Walking around with the camels they appeared ok, however all around you could see other animals, goats, donkeys etc... these did not look happy/well and from what I could see had no food or water and no hay in their beds. I truly regret going to the camel safari and even more so that we were persuaded to go on because we felt pressured! I will never go here or to any other similar excursion again and I am bitterly disappointed that Thompson advertise this trip! In the brochure the camels looked well cared for and happy, but the reality is far from that!!!! I won't forgive myself for going on them even though ours looked ok and I urge all of you thinking of going to please rethink and find something else.

6  Thank MaggySimmo
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

We visited here during our recent holiday, late June, decided to do something a little different so booked. Great value at €27 each which included the bus trip and small light snack of a piece of chicken and a bread roll along with water or wine. So for the ride, we donned our attire of blue robe and head scarf and sat in the seats which are mounted either side of the hump, not the most comfortable ride I've ever had but worth the experience. The camels appear in good condition and are lovely natured, before you move off they take your photo which you get at the end of the ride for €5. The tour takes around half an hour and you are lead around a series of tracks that surrounded by trees etc. The only thing I found a bit concerned is the camels are connected to each other so they follow but a couple I feel were tacked too close, they didn't seem to uncomfortable but didn't have a great deal of room to move. Excursions are Tuesday and Friday only from where we stayed in Puerto de la cruz so would advise booking early, you are gone for the morning around 4 hours or so. All in all a pleasant experience.

1  Thank Chris M