Open today: 07:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
Hidden Gem

A small hidden gem of a wine estate in Stanford in the Whale capital of South Africa. The chenin... read more

Reviewed 3 March 2021
AndreasThieme
Johannesburg, South Africa
BLOWN away

My first visit to EATS at Springfontein Wine Estate. It was a beautiful day so they had the lunch... read more

Reviewed 13 January 2020
Yollies
SA

Recommended experiences in and around Stanford
from US$607,85
More Info
All reviews wine making wine tasting gadda da vida chenin blanc beautiful setting chef cleansers estate elizabeth flies eats webster palate sa farm
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 December 2019

During our holidays in SA we spent a day in Springfontein Wine Estate. The owner Johst Weber and his team Tariro, Hildegard and Jeanne showed us around and gave us a deep insight into the secrets of ecological top class wine making. After the tour we we sat together tasting a great variety of pinotage and chenin blancs. Don't leave without a glass of "Gadda da Vida Pinotage". The estate is a bit off the main tourist routes but definately worth to make a little detour

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 21 June 2019 via mobile

We visited this estate with the sommelier from our hotel Grootbos. Winemaker Tariro was kind enough to give us a personal tour of the vineyards and a detailed explanation of the terroir (limestone ridge) and wine-making philosophy (organic!). The tasting room was large and lovely. A solid food menu is available if you need something more substantial. The meat spring rolls were excellent.

It was our first introduction to South African chenin Blanc and pinotage. We left with two crates - the 2015 vintages were excellent!

Some animals spotted in the area - guinea hens, caracals, a peacock and a rather lovely farm cat!

The surrounding village is also very pretty. Well worth a stop.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank L8227EYkens
Reviewed 14 February 2019

If heard springfibtein, not to be confused with Springfield winery in Bonnievale was good so we tried it. You have in my opinion to be dedicated to find it in the edge of Stanford saints not very clearly signposted.

A blazing hot day but the outdoor restaurant was cool.enough.

I said unusual.food. I believe slow food is the term.e.g. A hot starter of tongue and root vegetables. I enjoyed it but for.my taste as I use little salt in cooking a bit salty. We followed this with lamb 'curry'y -succulent lamb with a curry gravy than sauce. Again unusual and not what I expected.

We then had a very complicated dessert with yukka flowers and coconut. I forget all.the ingredients but it was different and delicious petals and all!

Not sure about the wines - they have a small selection of whites and reds. We had the white which was a blend including semillion.

Good service and excellent accompaniments especially the breads, amuse bouches. Cheffy food done with care overall.

Date of experience: February 2019
2  Thank Prue L
Reviewed 13 January 2019 via mobile

We stayed and dined at Springfontein on the way to Gansbaai for a shark cage diving tour, and we’re so glad to have found the place. The meal was the highlight of our trip in South Africa.

Dinner at the restaurant was one of the most memorable meals I’ve ever had. I will never forget the delicious sorrel soup I had for desert. The only way I can describe it, is that it tasted like cold sweet grass, sounds awful I know, but trust me, the deep earthy flavour made you eager to keep taking the next gulp until the bowl was empty.

The service was impeccable and they had a comprehensive wine selection. If you get the chance, I would highly recommend sampling the food at the restaurant.

Accommodation
We stayed in one of the cottages, and if you like somewhere remote, removed from the real world - this place is for you. Quiet and extremely peaceful.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed 5 January 2019

My wife & I had lunch at Springfontein Eats yesterday & it was simply amazing. From the friendly greeting from Suzanne who welcomed us on our arrival to the delicious meal we enjoyed, including the surprises to the menu, the whole experience was wonderful. The entire Springfontein team went go out of their way to make our visit truly memorable in so many ways. They deserve a 5 star plus rating.

Date of experience: January 2019