“It's a kind of magic”

Graze Slow Food Cafe
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Stanford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally sourced and seasonal menu
Reviewed 7 June 2016

As a Stanford resident, I've dined at Graze more times than a vegan can tell everyone that they're vegan. In fact, I think Graze is the reason why many walk straight over to the real estate agents in town and ask to view property in the village (true story).

Many local Graze addicts would probably not survive without their weekly 'Graze Good Life' (a chocolate croissant done French toast style, topped with bacon, whipped cream, raspberries and fresh figs), the 'Zodwa Special' or waffles with fresh berries and cream. I've even named its devout followers, 'Grazies' - some of whom have STANDING BOOKINGS at Graze every Friday night! It's just foodgasm after foodgasm at Graze.

Owner and Chef, Tabby Robertshaw lives on a farm with her family just outside of the village of Stanford and that's where much of Graze's ingredients are grown and farmed. Other scrumptious goodies, such as eggs, boutique dairy products, meat, flowers and other vegetables are supplied by local farmers, keeping to the Graze ethos of locally-sourced products. Tabby has even created dishes with foraged 'chicken of the woods' and porcini mushrooms lately, which were totally lip-smacking.

Friday evenings are the only nights when one can enjoy dinner at Graze, with the same menu available for Saturday lunch, after the rush of breakfast. Tabby constantly blows me away with her selection of fresh and different dishes every week, inspired by the availability of seasonal ingredients which she has often plucked straight from the ground hours before it has transformed into the beauty on your plate. I've often watched diners as they close their eyes with the first bite, like it's cast some kind of wonderful spell on them, finally realising that Tabby has that kind of magic that I've read about in books such as 'Like Water for Chocolate'. Think perfectly prepared salmon in a tom yum sauce; melt-in-your-mouth duck that will have you enraptured; lamb curry so subtle and flavourful it'll make you close your eyes with every mouthful and salted caramel chocolate torte that will bring tears to your eyes. She's Stanford's very own 'Babette' and boy does she lay out a feast. Thank you for existing, Tabby and Graze.

Date of visit: May 2016
2  Thank BeatnikWoman

Reviewed 7 June 2016

2 friends and I had supper at Graze on Friday evening 3rd June. This tiny, cozy "bistro" run by Tabby and Alex never lets one down. The locally grown seasonal food freshly prepared is an absolute delight. We made different choices from the menu and nothing disappointed. My friends had the pork and porcini ravioli and I had the mussels as starters which was all delicious and a taste experience. Our well traveled guest chose the seared red roman and raved about it, I had the melazane Parmigiana which was scrumptious. World class food in this little spot in Stanford. Well done Tabby and Alex!

Reviewed 6 June 2016

The breakfast was a a simple English style breakfast, but nothing could have prepared me for the deliciousness that ensued. The sausage was filled with cheese (OMG) made by a local Stanfordian. The bacon, done just right, the eggs. Oh the eggs. So creamy, so tasty. The toast. Oh man. I'm not sure how they managed to concoct such a simple but tasty looking breakfast with such casual finesse, but they did. I cannot wait for my next visit. I'm definitely going to try one of the rabbit dishes next time.

Date of visit: May 2016
4  Thank laurenxfowler
Reviewed 5 June 2016

Shocking service.

After ordering drinks, the waiter told us what was left on the menu - which wasn't much.
Being a group of 12 with a mix of vegetarians, vegans and meat eaters, there just wasn't enough variety for us (1 x fish item, 1 x lamb curry, gnocchi, 3 x rabbit - no one eats rabbit).

I asked if we could rather finish our drinks and settle our bill so we could find somewhere else to eat. What follow was a disgraceful reaction from the owner and her sidekick staff.

We were told that we are 'pathetic' for doing this, hands were waved at us and our perspective was not seen.

When speaking to the owner (the waiter requested I go speak to her), I told her that we were referred to her restaurant by our accommodation guest farm and that she shouldn't be rude to customers (we bought drinks there). She dismissed everything I said and had no intention to make things right.

I'd avoid this place with a 10 foot pole - it stinks inside and the owner has a terrible attitude.

9  Thank darenfuchs
Tabby R, Owner at Graze Slow Food Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor though I’m not sure how much merit it has considering you didn’t even taste our food. At Graze, we pride ourselves in organic, home-grown ingredients grown by myself and sidekick, Alex. Our chalkboard menu has three starters, four mains and two desserts to choose from. This is how most bistro type restaurants do it and it ensures that food is always creative, seasonal and varied, using only the very best ingredients we can grow or source locally. A chalkboard menu of this nature is not unusual but if you prefer the laminated menu containing a regurgitation of endless dishes to choose from, you need to go to another kind of restaurant. That’s not us.
When you called to book a table of 12, even though we were already pretty full, I went out of my way to accommodate you. I asked the locals, who had already booked tables, if they could share one big table in order to make room for your party. They all agreed, and we were able to offer you our special brand of village hospitality. Locals in Stanford love making tourists feel welcome.

So let me refresh you of our whatsapp conversation:
Graze: “Hi Daren we can fit you guys in, if you don’t mind coming at 8 and having what is left on the menu? Is that ok? Tabby @ Graze
Daren: “Yes, perfect. There are 12 of us”
Graze: (thumbs up) see you later
Daren: “Any vegetarian options?”
Graze: “Yes parmagiana melanzane (aubergine, buffalo mozzarella and parmesan) I can also do a mushroom risotto if thats sold out”
Daren: ”Cool. Im driving now so will chat later when I’m there”
You then only confirmed your table at 6pm saying you had a vegan in your group, I made a new dish especially so the vegan would have something delicious to eat. That’s just how we roll here at Graze, we try our best to accommodate. Every Friday night is not just a meal out; it’s a way to unwind after a busy week and spend some time with good friends and, often make new ones, and maybe enjoy a different taste experience.
How can you write a bad review if you refuse to eat our food? At Graze, the customer is usually right, except when he's not. We find it interesting that your immediate impression was that there was nothing for you to eat. We still had available on the menu:
Roast beetroot, pomegranate and fig salad (6 portions)
Pork and Porcini Ravioli in a Truffled mushroom broth (5 portions)
Live Black Shell Mussels (8 starter portions / 4 main portions)
Rabbit Risotto (3 portions)
Lamb Mussaman Curry (3 portions)
Seared Red Roman (2 portions)
Melanzane Parmigiana (4 portions)
Not to mention the 2 extra whole new dishes I added especially for your table, the mushroom risotto and the vegetarian gnocchi.
On leaving, you questioned why I took a booking for 12 people when I didn't have enough food on the menu to feed you. I ran through the options with you and you said: “ Well some of us don't like mushrooms, some of us don't eat cheese, and some of us don't like risotto” at which point I lost interest in our conversation and asked you very politely to exit my establishment.
As for your comment, “it stinks inside” – it doesn’t usually stink so perhaps it was your attitude that created the stench. Daren, you made a mistake so just own up and say you're sorry. You've got my number. Do the right thing, dude! We don't hold grudges.

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

Once again, Tabby has impressed with her ability to use fresh, simple ingredients in extraordinary combinations to create a full flavoured and fresh taste experience. Bravo!

3  Thank Macs250