“Decent cave exploration ”
Review of Cave Vatnshellir

Cave Vatnshellir
Book In Advance
More Info
US$1 396,24*
and up
5 Day Adventure - West Iceland Ice Cave and...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Follow the path of the lava flow, about 200 meters into the cave and 35 meters below the surface to see amazing colors and lava formations. The 8000 years old cave is located in Snaefellsjokull National Park, about 10 minute drive from Hellnar.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It was a pretty basic cave visit. We thought it was an ok value but I wouldn’t do it again. For the heft price of entry it would be great if they had better lighting in the cave.

All reviews
"large group"
"worth seeing"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have done some caving so this was not a new experience for me, but thrilled anytime I go into a cave/lava tube. Our guide was informative, let us ask questions and funny. The tube is interesting....there are three levels to descend. The two spiral staircases are a little scary....then a shorter flight of long steps. I'm a little iffy with heights so convinced myself not to look down and concentrated on the steps. They are wet so hang onto railing! Please wear waterproof gloves and warm clothing. It was 34 F in the tube and water drips on you. Overall, I liked it. It's easy to find...parking area right off highway...they took some people that hadn't pre booked but run tours all day. Entrance is locked so you cannot self tour.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Nothing more, nothing less. Not one of the best caves I have been in. Quiet small, actually. Freezing cold (literally). Not a lot of rock formations.

I would not go again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If Luray caverns is a 3 and inside the volcano is a 5, this is a 4. I enjoyed it and would recommend it, but it was neither particularly long nor exciting. It would be great for someone who likes geology, spelunking, or safe thibgs that seem adventerous. It is actually a very good family activity, but is not good for wheelchairs, strollers, canes, etc. There are some steep and narrow stairs, as well as bad footing.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The guided tour lasted 45 mins. The only light in the cave were the flashlights that everyone were carrying. We wore hiking boots as we walked on uneven, wet rocks and everyone had to wear hard hats. Some of the highlights - We walked down a spiral staircase using only your flashlight, everyone turned off their flashlights and listened to the singing of the water inside the cave. Our tour guide, Andy did an excellent job!