“Lovely comfortable cottage in stunning location”
other travellers have booked this property
Puffin Island Enter a caption for your photo
Kerry
Local fishing
Dining Area
Enter a caption for your photo
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
OnAir8027...
toronto
“Well intentioned owner. This is a review to help -not hurt- future bookings.”
Reviewed 19 September 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

We booked Des' Rose Cottage early in the year as we were a party of 9 (Two families; One family of 4 from Toronto plus our wee grandmother, one family of 4 from Ottawa - all meeting up in Ballinskelligs) all looking for a comfortable and spacious country house. Celebrating granny's 90th birthday in Ballinskelligs was our goal. Rose Cottage fit the bill - we reserved (have all documentation) and counted down the days. I had the archived the booking email and was texting the en route Ottawa family. I was forwarded the GPS directions. I made my way to (what turned out to be Sunset cottage). It didn't look like the way I remembered from the old photos we had looked at months before but didn't question it. The key was waiting, we were inside and everything looked good. Nothing fancy but a charming country cottage. We set out to claim our beds and were confused because we were lacking a bed. Rose Cottage had enough beds, but this cottage had a set of children's size bunk beds in one room, a room with two twins and two master bedrooms with queen beds. Also - there were no additional linens. At all. The beds had no mattress covers - just thin sheets on top of older mattresses, no top sheets - just comforters. Not one extra blanket, pillow, sheet. I texted Des the owner and he rushed over with duvets and sheets. He must live very close by. He was exceptionally kind, brought his developmentally disabled son and I could see how accommodating he was, working hard to please us. I didn't think to question the shortage of beds. Granted, I was jet-lagged and not really on the ball. The Ottawa family arrived and informed me there had been a massive mix-up. This was Sunset Cottage, not Rose. They arrived at Rose only to find a family there. The Rose had been overbooked and we were placed at Sunset without having been consulted. We decided to try to make the best of it. We dragged a mattress up to the top room and proceeded to make the bed. The sheets were unwashed and the duvet must have been pulled off a bed from Des' house, as it was badly stained including what looked like blood and hair (have photos). The light fixtures, especially in bathrooms were insect and cobweb laden - there was enough around the cottage to hint that thorough cleaning was not performed between rentals. But we weren't angry - we all appreciated Des' repentant efforts. It was like a family member trying hard. We don't want to give Des a bad review because there is SO MUCH PROMISE HERE. The location and views are incredible (bring ear plugs, there seems to be a dog kennel nearby which u can hear upstairs when windows are open), there's a picnic table and cozy fireplace (Des kindly went to get us peat for fire). This review is intended to help Des improve this cottage and his services. Des is a well-intentioned host and we believe this was an honest mistake. We don't suggest wholesale changes - the down-home and comfy furnishings are part of the appeal. But it's vital mattress pads protect people from contact with the mattresses - a thin sheet is not enough. A top sheet is crucial as it wasn't apparent comforters are washed between clients. Des tried to tell us no one uses top sheets in Ireland but every other accommodation had them. It's just basic service to have a closet with extra blankets, sheets, pillows and towels. It's not a lot really, but for us, especially in light of the cottage mix up, really made a difference. I do recommend Des' Sunset cottage. If what I've mentioned is important to you, ensure everything is well-confirmed and that you get what you need to enjoy fully the spectacular Wild Atlantic Way. Three stars only because there's no ability to give 3.5 stars :)

24 Sep 2017
Hi N&Pb. Thank you for your review and pointers you raised. I hold my hands up now and did so at the time when I apologised for the mix up in the bookings. It was totally my fault as there was an overlap of 1 night in Rose Cottage. Sunset cottage and Rose cottage are both 4 bedroom properties and very comparable in size and location.
. I have to take exception to some of your comments . We have rented both houses since 2008 and we have never used over sheets in either house . Neither does any holiday rental I know of in the area use over sheets and I can honestly say I have never once ben asked for them or padded mattress covers since 2008. All rental properties here use a sheet on the bed and then a duvet. I can DEFINATELY say that all sheets ,pillow covers and duvet covers are washed between clients. We have a complete spare set of clothes which we use on changeover day.
As for being short a bed I immediately brought you a spare mattress and I myself took it up the stairs. The duvet and sheets /Pillows I brought with it were totally clean when I collected them. Maybe the fact that I transported them in the back of my builders van was not the best idea as it must be in the transporting of them the duvet got stained. If you pointed it out to me I would have sorted it straight away.
I do what I can to make all my clients as comfortable as possible but with large groups and especially different groups sharing it can lead to problems.
Again let me apologise for the mix up and I have taken all your points on board. If you want to come back to stay with us at any time I will make sure you receive a discount.Thank you.
polaoide
Athlone, Ireland
“Lovely comfortable cottage in stunning location”
Reviewed 10 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

We were so comfortable in this roomy well equipped house. The beaches were a step outside ,the views stunning,the landlord so helpful.We had some wonderful meals in nearby Portmagee and Waterville and great pints in the local pub!Even our dog was sad to leave and we plan to return in a few months.The Skellig monks were right :Ballinskellig is truly a blessed place and sunset cottage is the place to stay!

27 Jun 2017
Many thanks for your kind words
Daragh D
“Beautiful house, beautiful area”
Reviewed 15 September 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We had an outstanding few days in this gorgeous, roomy house in the heart of lovely Ballinskelligs. Very well furnished and equipped, with the converted attic a particularly nice feature--couldn't have asked for more. Didn't want to leave!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
26 Oct 2016
glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words. Hope to see you back again in the future
Tr129
New York City, New York
“Great rental in Ballinskelligs”
Reviewed 9 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016

I am an artist & initially arrived solo- was joined by a friend towards the latter part of the week.
It's a gorgeous house / cottage! It's 2 levels- a huge master bedroom upstairs with gorgeous views from skylight windows - also a tv / lounge area upstairs which I used for my painting (also beautiful views from the skylights). Downstairs were the other bedrooms with a jacuzzi in the bathroom which looked brand new. Great location- there is a pier at the end of the driveway & beautiful views of the mountains/ hills as well as the ocean /sea. The owner is a local & was so helpful in every way! He was very attentive to any question or issue I had & even brought me detergent one day when I needed to wash my laundry. I did not rent a car & he actually lent me a bike to use (so kind)! It's a great location - you can bike to a small beach cafe not far away & in the month of May, the beautiful smell of the gorse is heavenly as you bike by. There is an ancient monastery down the road (when the monks from the skelligs moved to the mainland after the vikings invaded) & so many other interesting things to see. I got loads of painting done while I was there. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. **As others have noted, there are indeed beagles next door that bark. However, they were quiet & go to sleep at night. I never heard them barking after their owners came home after work & during the night & I would have noticed as I'm a light sleeper. I slept like a babe there. Most of the barking was in the daytime - but not all day long. I played music in the house most of the time though & so really didn't hear them much at all. Just wanted to mention that since I saw it noted in other reviews.

Travelling group: Other
9 Jun 2016
Thank you for your kind words, we try to give a personal touch to make your stay as enjoyable as possible
Sandra F
Aldershot, United Kingdom
“Staying in Sunset Cottage was a great venue for staying in Ballinskelligs or visiting other parts of Kerry”
Reviewed 9 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

The property had plenty of room to accomadate our party of 7 and all the equipment you would expect in self catering accomadation. It is ideal if you like walking but never leave the cottage without your water/shower proof jacket. Our stay had its fair share of rain and wind but this did not mar our holiday in the least. The teenagers in the group and the adult males loved the fishing off the rocks and out on a boat in the sea.
The only down side were barking dogs that did not live far enough away from the cottage.
However all in all we all enjoyed our stay very much

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The venue
Liked least: barking dogs
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 65+
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing