Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews other guests half board local fishermen kenyan coast beautiful garden the food is great quiet place the main house isabel turner bungalow stories hosts books trips sea beauty
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 November 2019

I enjoyed my stay at Mbuyu Beach Bungalows very much.

It is a very quiet place and ideal to relax. Beatifully set in a quiet part of the beach next to the small fishing village of Msambweni, away from all the tourists in Diani and other parts of the beach. As a result the usual "hustle" by the local beach boys is greatly reduced and you can enjoy the beach without having to deal with any unwanted offers. It is also a very small hotel so that you will know the other guests. The atmosphere is that of a family-run guest house and not as anonymous as the big tourist hotels.

The owners Isabel and Werner are great hosts and invest a lot of time to make their guests happy. They have extensive knowledge of the area and can recommend great day trips and the best guides. They are also both very knowledgeable about East Africa since they are authoring the newest edition of a travel guide on Kenya. If you want any tips on how to continue your trip, you can't do better. Additionally, Werner has co-authored a couple of books set in the area. They are available to read in the rooms, which means that you can add a great perspective to the place you are staying at (and of course talk to the author about them).

The rooms are located either in bungalows on the property or on the second floor of the main house. They are nicely decorated and well-built and maintained. The bungalows include a second floor with views of the sea and the rooms in the main house include balconies with sea view. There is a pool for the guests and since the property is set on the beachfront you can of course always go to swim in the sea.

The dining area of the restaurant also opens to the sea and it is great to sit there with a drink looking out on the ocean. The food is great. There is no menu to choose from, but the kitchen always prepares a great meal. If you want, you can have dinner at the same table together with the owners and the other guests and share stories of your trip. I enjoyed these communal dinners ver much.

The service at Mbuyu is great and the employees are always at hand to help you.
But the best thing about Mbuyu Beach Bungalows is the beautiful setting. Since words are insufficient to describe the beauty of the place I have attached some pictures below.

If you come to the area and are looking for a quiet place to relax, i can only recommend you to stay at Mbuyu. You will enjoy it very much.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
IsabelleUndWerner, Manager at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2019

Thank you Simon for this encouraging review - we keep on trying to deliver, and to be honest: our lovely fishing village, our dedicated local staff (and open-minded travellers like you) make it quite easy. Welcome again!

Reviewed 20 February 2019 via mobile

By far the best coastal getaway we've had.
My husband and I along with our daughter (toddler) travelled from Nairobi to Msambweni. There's no check-in upon arrival. You're shown straight to your bungalow by the owner(s). No time wasting, no standing around waiting for keys. You get to dive straight into your holiday of relaxation.
The tropical garden is beautiful here. Very well maintained. Like nothing I've seen next to a beach. The bungalows are perfect in size but we hardly spent time in there as there are so many places to relax out in the gardens.

The hospitality and service is second to none. The owners, Werner and Isabelle are the loveliest and most friendly hosts. They go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and content.

The food is amazing. Just like home cooked food. Although there is a set menu but the kitchen does cater for your needs.

There's a real family like feeling at mbuyu beach bungalows. From the owners to the guests to all the workers. It makes all the difference.

If I could give the place a 10 star rating, I would!
Thanking Isabelle and Werner for letting us into their home.
We're really looking forward to coming back!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2019

Thanks a lot, you lovely people from Nairobi! We promise to keep on trying our best, and to keep the place as welcoming and intimate as it is. See you back on our beach some day!

Reviewed 6 December 2018 via mobile

Cool ocean breeze, services were excellent..ocean waves and sounds at night it's a lifetime experience i can never forget.The place is organized in such a way it suits the wants of every visitor and fun it's all covered there... Back soon

Date of stay: December 2018
1  Thank nelsonmwenda57
Reviewed 14 November 2018 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in Bungalow 1, right at the beach. Fell asleep and woke up to the sound of the waves breaking on the sand. Breakfast and dinner, served family style, was tasty, healthy and excellent. Extremely peaceful place. Staff was super helpful, warm and friendly. Walks in the surrounding town, beach and countryside were wonderful, beautiful and untouched by tourism.

Date of stay: November 2018
3  Thank swisstraveler1990
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2018

Thanks for your encouraging remarks, which we will share with our staff. Our bunch of cats will miss you as well...

Reviewed 1 April 2018

A friend and I, she lives in Nairobi and I am from Buenos Aires, Argentina, stayed for three nights at Mbuyu and we reallly liked the experience. The owners, Werner and Isabelle, welcome you on arrival and take care of you during your stay. So this is not a "hotel-experience" where you ask in the reception for the things you need: this is a beautiful familiy experience where the owners interact continually with the guests; not to mention the excellent dinners we all share. And this is a strong point: having read so many articles about what to eat and not to eat in east Africa I was a bit concerned, but lunch and dinner here were like mum cooking for us! Lovely.

I am studying German and did have my "übungsecke" (if the word exists): a beautiful library with books where you can pick one at your choice and read in one of the couches with a wonderful view to the ocean. I got interested in one, which was at my level: Die Deutschlehrerin. I promised the owners to read it and return to Mbuyu Beach Bungalows to better experience German conversations! :)

Useful last but not least info: Werner and Isabelle provide you with a beach towel. I bought one before flying to Kenya and then realised I could have avoided the extra weight :)

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank PabloC990
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hello from the Indian to the South Atlantic Ocean, and thanks for the intercontinental compliments! Take the loaned book as a silent reminder and come back some day - you are so much welcome!