Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews other guests half board local fishermen kenyan coast beautiful garden the food is great quiet place the main house isabel turner bungalow stories hosts books trips sea beauty
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 April 2018

A friend and I, she lives in Nairobi and I am from Buenos Aires, Argentina, stayed for three nights at Mbuyu and we reallly liked the experience. The owners, Werner and Isabelle, welcome you on arrival and take care of you during your stay. So this is not a "hotel-experience" where you ask in the reception for the things you need: this is a beautiful familiy experience where the owners interact continually with the guests; not to mention the excellent dinners we all share. And this is a strong point: having read so many articles about what to eat and not to eat in east Africa I was a bit concerned, but lunch and dinner here were like mum cooking for us! Lovely.

I am studying German and did have my "übungsecke" (if the word exists): a beautiful library with books where you can pick one at your choice and read in one of the couches with a wonderful view to the ocean. I got interested in one, which was at my level: Die Deutschlehrerin. I promised the owners to read it and return to Mbuyu Beach Bungalows to better experience German conversations! :)

Useful last but not least info: Werner and Isabelle provide you with a beach towel. I bought one before flying to Kenya and then realised I could have avoided the extra weight :)

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank PabloC990
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hello from the Indian to the South Atlantic Ocean, and thanks for the intercontinental compliments! Take the loaned book as a silent reminder and come back some day - you are so much welcome!

Reviewed 12 March 2018

I remember lying under the baobab and watching a monkey family jumping from branch to branch. I remember waking up early to see the sunrise and the boats going out to sea. I remember watching the fishermen coming in again with handful of fish. I remember having dinner at that large table on the beach under the stars. The place is beautifully located on the beach under the coconut trees and surrounded by lush vegetation. Werner and Isabelle have put lots of effort in making my stay the most comfortable and practical. You will get all the information you need, about local life, places to visit, local attractions, handicraft. I only stayed there 2 nights, but I will definitely go again to take full advantage of this beautiful region. Lots to do, lots to see in the surroundings, the perfect place to relax without getting bored. WARMLY RECOMMENDED

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank MelanieNyssen
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thanks Melanie, for dropping in on short notice and for your nice company at the long dinner table. it was interesting to listen to your rich travel experiences, and if we could even add some useful information: all the better! Welcome again...

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Actually I don't know if it is a good idea to write a recommendation here, because I feel very protective about that secret little paradise down at the very southern coast of Kenya. But on the other hand, the place is too beautiful to not be spreading at least a few words about it. Werner and Isabel run the small site with a lot of love for every detail and make the best hosts you can ever imagine. If you're into family-like dinners under the stars and palm trees with good talks, good wine and even better food, relaxing days where the only other people you meet down at the beach are some fishermen, that's the place for you. If you look for touristy entertainment though, nightlife and a more mainstream kind of accommodation, you might need to check somewhere else. I personally feel the year isn't complete anymore if I didn't drop in here once or better twice.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kari92
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

Thanks so much, Kari, it was good to share dinner once with you again under our palm trees . And take this as a promise: we will never accommodate more guests than we can sit at our table...

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Mbuyu Beach is the ideal place for people who want to relax off the beaten tourist tracks and care about the environment. Management and staff are charming. Beautiful beach, beautiful chalets built in the traditional way. Amazing garden with monkeys, chickens, cats, crabs and other animals that come for a visit. Fresh sea food is served almost every night. Really an amazing place to have a break from busy life and just admire the beauty of the Kenyan coast.

Room tip: All chalets have a view of the ocean and are calm (except for the sounds of nature ;-)
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank patriciaD6799YY
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2018

Dear Patricia, thanks for your stay and the charming review! We enjoyed your company as well - so welcome any time again on our beautiful beach at the Indian Ocean...

Reviewed 27 October 2017

This was a first visit to Mbuyu Beach, and I'm sure it won't be the last. I've stayed at many places up and down the Kenyan coast, and this is quite unique. It's a brilliant mix of well-catered 'resort' in terms of lovely food, a perfect pool in a spectacular tropical beachfront garden, clean, comfortable rooms with sweet little luxuries (pillows and towels to use on the beach), and something far more boutique. There's a feeling that you're the private guests of Isabelle and Werner, the owners, and that with their well-trained and intuitive staff, you will be looked after exactly like that: as a personal friend. It's quite hard to keep up that enthusiasm for every guest that they have, unless you really mean it. They do!

We stayed five nights and found the food - meals are chosen by the chef, not the diners - was always tasty, ample, interesting, and not repetitive. You'll need to request special orders eg crab or lobster, and the staff will do their best to source them. You'd be advised to remind them each day, if what you wanted again appears not to be available. There's also a fairly limited selection of drinks, if like us you don't drink alcohol and don't like sugary pop: either a fresh juice or mineral water. Some might also find the usual format of all guests eating communally at the same table not to their taste, but there would be no problem advising the staff you'd prefer to eat separately.

Nearby there is plenty to keep you busy - snorkelling, fishing boat trips, walks along the beach - or you can laze around the compound where there are many different areas to relax (Werner: hammocks!). Fly to Ukunda and it's only 30 mins in a $25 cab to Mbuyu.

Overall a very good option that does something very special in a crowded market: provides a relaxing, well-priced, comfortable and welcoming retreat for those who don't want to self-cater in a private house, but who also don't want to check in to a more established traditional hotel or resort. Bravo!

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikePflanz
IsabelleUndWerner, Owner at Mbuyu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Dear Mike (and Lena, of course!), it was pure joy to once again host an interesting (and interested!) couple like you. Thanks for nice company, and for all the political chitchat on Kenyan elections and African experiences! So sorry that I forgot to dig out our hammocks - but thanks God experienced travelers like you bring along their own ... Welcome again any time!