“"A Holiday of a lifetime"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shanzu
Coral Palm Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Shanzu
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed here in September 2007 when we arrived in Mombasa the sight that met us was the poverty so very sad, but the people are always smiling and happy, the children seem to appear from nowhere and they are most happy just to have pens, paper, pencils and maybe the odd sweet now the adults love socks, any clothes, medical tablets asprin. paracetamel etc most things really that we have to offer,when arriving at the hotel the staff greeted us with singing and dancing made us feel very welcome, the hotel was very clean and tidy and the food great, but don,t expect chips ,we found a lovely bar called the cha cha in shanzu there we meet Francis who in turn introduced us to the masi warriors and the chief, they took care of us in the evenings and became our body guards and gave us loads of information about the surrounding areas of mombasa and who to go with, because you had to be very careful, the Kenyans themselves are lovely people very poor, but will help you out we had a fantasic holiday there and when we have saved up enough money we would like to go back there for a longer period of time maybe 6 months or more just have to wait and see

Room Tip: Maybe a higher one so that the monkeys don,t pay you a visit and pinch all your belongings, we were...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was there in the spring of 2007 with children, three weeks of top entertainment and leisure.
In addition to two multi-day safaris (Tsavo East and Amboseli), we went on excursions to the nearby Mombasa, in Mtwapa Creek,and other places with their taxi who called tuc-tuc.People are friendly and polite, generally happy ..
The hotel is really old and need renovation at the time, but whatever shortcomings we felt comfortable ..
The choice of food was excellent, tidy restaurant
Staff friendly and attentive(with an expected tip)
Beautiful beaches, warm sea, the hotel complex is associated with other hotels and all together it seems as if walk in the Garden of Eden.
Mainly to recommend for couples or families

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Okay so when I stayed here it was a good few years ago, 2001 to be precise. So either the hotel and resort have change HUGELY, or as usual the bad reviews have come from ever unsatisfied Brits; who expect chips for dinner and eastenders for their evening entertainment!
We had the most amazing time in Kenya. The hotel was clean, staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The food was great with a huge choice. Pools and beaches were fantastic. My memory fails me on the entertainment, however when you have such beautiful surroundings and a drink in hand, what more could you want?

A few tips, don't book excursions through the hotel, go and see the friendly locals on the beach! They wont bite and it will cost you a fraction of the price. Remember, these people rely on you coming home and saying exactly what I'm saying now. So they will garentee you have a good time.
If poverty upsets or offends you then do not go to East Africa! If you are open to a life changing experience then definately do! If you do not want to be giving out money left right and centre, take some bic pens with you (the old yellow/orange biros) they are the equaivilant to parker pens here. The kids will love them. Why not save a bit of room in your suitcase and take some of your unwanted clothes! Something as small as a bottle of nail varnish would mean the world to one of the maids at the hotel.

So that I don't sound completely bias I will state some bad points, although I would say they are more to be expected than 'bad'.
BUGS! If you have a huge phobia of bugs be prepared. Cockroaches are part of being in a tropical climate, and nothing to do with the cleanliness of the hotel. And when I say cockroaches, I mean the huge ones people actually put collars on and use in adverts. Millipedes are pretty disgusting, but they are important to the local environment. Those are the two main things. Lots of moths too, which I have a huge phobia of, but hey I survived two weeks. I nearly forgot the snakes, none poisenous so don't worry! They are call spagetti snakes (you will see why if you go) they often linger under trees.
Having said all that I was there just before rainy season started, which is when all the bugs come out to play!
Outside of the hotel you do get lots of children following you, hands outstretched - my advice? These people are poor so it is to be expected. Like I said take 'things' with you to give to them.
The last bad point is that Africa is very popular with Germans, and I'm afraid the stereotype of them reserving sunbeds with towls at 6am is well and truly alive.

So if you want great holiday with varied experiences then book now! It's well worth it!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The room we stayed in was damp, hotel was unclean, swimming pool dirty and the food repetitive . The club was eager to keep you in the hotel however we ventured out several times and met lots of really nice people so don't be swayed into staying in the hotel the whole time. Also the beach has lots of interesting sealife so I would recommend a walk down to see it. Overall the hotel wasnt up to much but for what we paid we didnt expect much!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I didn't stay at the Coral Palm Beach Hotel, but was down the road at the Dolphin. We went walking around Shanzu and came across the Coral Palm Beach Hotel. It was completely deserted, like the Marie Celeste. We were able to walk around it as if it were a ghost town. It's such a shame, as it looked like it could have been a nice hotel in it's prime, but has now been left to ruin. I gather the closure must have only been recent, as we were able to walk into areas and see paperwork left lying around, dated April 2009.

The recession has hit tourism badly, especially for long-haul. Also, I believe the war in Kenya at the beginning of the year, leading up to the elections have put tourists off. Thankfully those troubles are over. Sadly it has hit the resort hard, as the locals rely on tourism for their business. Hopefully things will pick up soon and someone will take this hotel into hand soon and renovate it. it's in a prime location on a fantastic beach. I assume it still belongs to African Safari Club. Maybe the fact that they have not been paying their staff at the other hotels is because all monies are being retained for the renovation. Who knows..

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanzu
PrideInn Paradise Beach Resort
#11 of 61 in Mombasa
1 014 reviews
Serena Beach Resort & Spa
Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Coral Palm Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!