See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was there in the spring of 2007 with children, three weeks of top entertainment and leisure.
In addition to two multi-day safaris (Tsavo East and Amboseli), we went on excursions to the nearby Mombasa, in Mtwapa Creek,and other places with their taxi who called tuc-tuc.People are friendly and polite, generally happy ..
The hotel is really old and need renovation at the time, but whatever shortcomings we felt comfortable ..
The choice of food was excellent, tidy restaurant
Staff friendly and attentive(with an expected tip)
Beautiful beaches, warm sea, the hotel complex is associated with other hotels and all together it seems as if walk in the Garden of Eden.
Mainly to recommend for couples or families

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Okay so when I stayed here it was a good few years ago, 2001 to be precise. So either the hotel and resort have change HUGELY, or as usual the bad reviews have come from ever unsatisfied Brits; who expect chips for dinner and eastenders for their evening entertainment!
We had the most amazing time in Kenya. The hotel was clean, staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The food was great with a huge choice. Pools and beaches were fantastic. My memory fails me on the entertainment, however when you have such beautiful surroundings and a drink in hand, what more could you want?

A few tips, don't book excursions through the hotel, go and see the friendly locals on the beach! They wont bite and it will cost you a fraction of the price. Remember, these people rely on you coming home and saying exactly what I'm saying now. So they will garentee you have a good time.
If poverty upsets or offends you then do not go to East Africa! If you are open to a life changing experience then definately do! If you do not want to be giving out money left right and centre, take some bic pens with you (the old yellow/orange biros) they are the equaivilant to parker pens here. The kids will love them. Why not save a bit of room in your suitcase and take some of your unwanted clothes! Something as small as a bottle of nail varnish would mean the world to one of the maids at the hotel.

So that I don't sound completely bias I will state some bad points, although I would say they are more to be expected than 'bad'.
BUGS! If you have a huge phobia of bugs be prepared. Cockroaches are part of being in a tropical climate, and nothing to do with the cleanliness of the hotel. And when I say cockroaches, I mean the huge ones people actually put collars on and use in adverts. Millipedes are pretty disgusting, but they are important to the local environment. Those are the two main things. Lots of moths too, which I have a huge phobia of, but hey I survived two weeks. I nearly forgot the snakes, none poisenous so don't worry! They are call spagetti snakes (you will see why if you go) they often linger under trees.
Having said all that I was there just before rainy season started, which is when all the bugs come out to play!
Outside of the hotel you do get lots of children following you, hands outstretched - my advice? These people are poor so it is to be expected. Like I said take 'things' with you to give to them.
The last bad point is that Africa is very popular with Germans, and I'm afraid the stereotype of them reserving sunbeds with towls at 6am is well and truly alive.

So if you want great holiday with varied experiences then book now! It's well worth it!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The room we stayed in was damp, hotel was unclean, swimming pool dirty and the food repetitive . The club was eager to keep you in the hotel however we ventured out several times and met lots of really nice people so don't be swayed into staying in the hotel the whole time. Also the beach has lots of interesting sealife so I would recommend a walk down to see it. Overall the hotel wasnt up to much but for what we paid we didnt expect much!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I didn't stay at the Coral Palm Beach Hotel, but was down the road at the Dolphin. We went walking around Shanzu and came across the Coral Palm Beach Hotel. It was completely deserted, like the Marie Celeste. We were able to walk around it as if it were a ghost town. It's such a shame, as it looked like it could have been a nice hotel in it's prime, but has now been left to ruin. I gather the closure must have only been recent, as we were able to walk into areas and see paperwork left lying around, dated April 2009.

The recession has hit tourism badly, especially for long-haul. Also, I believe the war in Kenya at the beginning of the year, leading up to the elections have put tourists off. Thankfully those troubles are over. Sadly it has hit the resort hard, as the locals rely on tourism for their business. Hopefully things will pick up soon and someone will take this hotel into hand soon and renovate it. it's in a prime location on a fantastic beach. I assume it still belongs to African Safari Club. Maybe the fact that they have not been paying their staff at the other hotels is because all monies are being retained for the renovation. Who knows..

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank flower36
Reviewed 19 January 2008

Before going I have read the terrible reviews about the African Safari Club and their hotels, but the 500gbp deal for 2 weeks with flights was very tempting. ..& that was a big mistake.
We booked the Palm hotel, however, as noted by other travelers coral and palm (as well as palm superior as they call it once you are there) are the same one hotel.
the room itself is very basic but ok. the bathroom is really awfull. the worst thing for me was the stink. the towels, the bed linnen, the batchroom stinked so much. the other thing was safe int he room. They advice to keep all valuables in there and pay 2.5 EUR per day for this service. The safe is a thin metal box with a post box lock...Furthermore, in our room it was possible to lock & unlock the safe with a FINGER! So we did not even bother paying for this service (just told the manager, but this was not fixed during the 13 days of our stay).
Air conditioning: it makes noice, but there is no cool wind out of it. nothing out of it, really. so we used the fan, which was good, but very noice: I was waking up some 10 times each night as it felt like sleeping under a helicopter.
breakfast: during first 4 days we did not manage to get coffee...during the entire stay noone ever offered an omlet, we just saw other people eating it. dinners: on the first nights the hotel was more busy, so it was extremely complicated to get food. the waiters kept saying: "you are so many, we are so few" and the staff to guesst ratio in the restaurant was nearly 1 to one.
good it was possible to eat FOC in the restaurants of other African Safari Club Hotels, so Dolphin was where we went ussually (much better service & food, even though far from 4* level).
then we went to safari with southern cross safaries which was briliant. we stayed in Satao Camp and it was amazing. Service & food: noithing to compare to African Safari Club.
Finally, the last day we were settling the bill at Coral Palm hotel and there was an Austrian lad which just arrived for 6 weeks (I hope she survived this concentration camp for so long, we felt sorry for her). She wanted to rent safe key for 6 weeks and was asking for better rate than ussual 2.5 eur per day (in 6 weeks thats 105 EUR, more than a lot for a post box rental). Cashier said no better rates was possible. We just told her about our safe and advised to check it before paying. After she went to manager for a better rate and told her about our safe. The manager said (we were next to that conversation): "who could tell you such things about our hotel?" so lady obviously pointed to us. The manager raised the voice and started shouting on us how dare we talking that soemthng does not work in his lovely hotel and that speach did not end before I started talking on him with all the nice experience we had in there! this was all happenning in the middle of the hotel (which they claim to ahve 4.5 shields) reception. After this naci camp for nearly 2 weeks, we got this as a bonus just before departure. It is a cheap hostel level institution, no more. DON'T GO THERE!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Janis_kalninsh