2 people are viewing this hotel
TravelocityUS$175
eDreamsUS$194
Reviews (1 077)
1 077 results
All reviews pool bar boat house dvd player restaurant staff relaxing holiday scuba diving candle light dinner sea view room water sports small hotel hotel management all inclusive package palm trees port louis head chef buffet style ground floor
Selected filters
7 - 12 of 1 077 reviews
Reviewed 3 November 2020

The welcome was not warm and late check in upon arrival but the receptionist grant late check out to compensate,not bad.
Average food quality and not enough varities in buffet!
Did not appreciate the tea time, since the cakes were not fresh and need to wait for cold cakes served but the restaurant is a nice place to enjoy.

Room tip: Book room far from bar area if you are looking for a rest
Date of stay: October 2020
Sanjay Sewocksing, General Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2020

Dear Drafatadin,

Thank you for your feedback of your short stay among us.
We apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced upon check-in as we had many arrivals and departures at the same time due to this long weekend .
We appreciate the time taken to share your comment, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2020 via mobile

Spent the day there with friends. Had a nice welcome by smiling and friendly staff. The hotel was clean and cosy too while the large pool was great.

At the restaurant, a large variety of food was available for the buffet lunch. And the taste was not that bad. Really appreciated the local dishes.

At tea time, expect some hot samossas, pastries and pancakes together with coffee or tea.

I would recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Sanjay Sewocksing, General Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2020

Dear norbertaug,

The management and and the entire team would like to thank you for your review and feedback shared on the net. You can be assured that your feedback has been shared with the staff members alike.

We are pleased to hear that you have appreciated all the services and the facilities of the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again soon for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 15 April 2020

Arriving at the hotel were greeted warmly by the reception staff and showed to our room by the bellboy who wouldn't take a tip as it was 'part of his job'!. Our room was on the third floor with a beautiful sea view and large balcony. The room was roomy and clean and the bathroom was large with a lovely shower and separate toilet. I didn't realise until we got back home that we had paid for an upgrade and should have had bathrobes and slippers which we didn't. It's not a large hotel with only one restaurant. For the first few days the food was really good. Fresh grilled meats and fish but the salad bar was very disappointing with very few basic ingredients like lettuce or tomatoes. Birds were also flying all over the place landing on the bread but as it was an open restaurant that wasn't something the hotel could avoid. On saying that there could have been a better way of protecting the food that was out. I think Chef's clothes could also do with having a good was as they didn't look as though they had been washed for some time. That being said we always found something to eat. The pool was extremely disappointing and absolutely filthy. There were tiles missing, broken tiles and a large tarpaulin at the bottom of the pool to cover , I imagine, more broken/missing tiles. There was only one bar at the hotel and only one person serving so you could have to wait sometimes but again drinks were OK. The only entertainment at the hotel was geared towards the french guests and once they left it was left to ourselves to amuse ourselves. Due to the location of the hotel there is no chance of going out and finding a nearby bar or restaurant so you literally are 'stuck' there. The beach was OK but there is no chance of swimming in the bay as the water never goes above waist height. Unfortunately while we were there the Maurutian government implemented a lockdown so we couldn't leave the hotel even if we wanted to so we didn't get to see anything of the island. As the number of guests dwindled so did the choice of foods and the last couple of days we were given a menu to choose what we wanted at the next meal. As there was no shop on site (the gift shop was shut while we were there) you had to eat something or starve until the next mealtime. The spa was also closed. The bar also closed at 9:30 and we had to be in our rooms by 10! We were also asked by the hotel to arrange early flights home as they were closing the hotel. That being said the pandemic was beyond the control of the hotel. Would I come back to this hotel? No. This is certainly not a 4 star or even 3

1  Thank Kate G
Sanju64, General Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2020

Dear Kate G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
I have passed on your appreciation to all the Team Members who went the extra way to offer you our best Mauritian hospitality though we were under the lock down of the COVID-19. However I am surprise and saddened to read your negative part report as we did our utmost while you were among us.
While it is too late to change your experience at this point, I hope that we may address some of your concerns below.
For future travellers, please note that Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa is classified as a 3* Superior resort.
We wish to inform that you could have ask to meet the Duty Manager to assist you with any issue you had while being among us. Unfortunately, no reports were ever made. Management strongly believe in constructive upgrading of the services of the hotel and that the reason we constantly work in improvement to highlight our facilities, services and standards.
Indeed the All Inclusive packages at Jalsa Beach are applicable as from 11:00 to 23:00 as explained upon arrival, but due to the lock down we had a reduced service in all the departments concerned and a memo as well of this pandemic situation were sent to your room. I personally had a meeting with you to explain the situation of the lock down in Mauritius. No deliveries for fresh vegetables and any deliveries were being made at by suppliers at this particular period. All meals times were however respected. As you were on All Inclusive breakfast, lunch, tea time/pancake, dinner and and selected drinks were included in your package. Specifically on that period we have a reduced staffing at the hotel and social distancing were to be respected for which we asked guests to order their drinks at one person at a time. For specific reason of the confinement entertainment and other services were restricted. We did mentioned to guests for their safety to enquire about the return flight and that we will extend our services till our last guests’ check-out which we did.
As explained in my meeting that under the lock down no guests were allowed to leave the hotel premises in any circumstances or to venture on the beach or in lagoon. I did also mentioned that no gathering should performed but never asked guests to resume to their room after the services.
I was under impression that you had the perfect message while we were having that discussion meeting as it seem that every guests had no other complaints as such.

I do hope to welcome you again in the future, for a chance to deliver the great experience usually afforded to all our guests.

Reviewed 2 April 2020 via mobile

We learnt the hard way that a price has to be paid for a ‘bargain’ break. Tempted by the price and the promise of 2 weeks of sunshine we booked Jalsa Beach through Mercury holidays. A large amount of research was undertaken and we completely understood that the hotel was dated and in need of a little tlc.
We enjoy the intimacy of small hotels and had no wish to visit nearby bars etc, of which there are none! Jalsa is gated, but weather permitting we had a long walk outside of the premises every day, and felt no threat or danger. The taxis that wait outside are excellent, trustworthy and reliable. They can also be booked through reception.
We emailed in advance to ask for a room with a view as we are birdwatchers. The staff on reception are excellent, had read our email and allocated us room 317. Perfect for Birdwatching.
The room was large but ready for an update, however when we asked for more pillows they immediately appeared, as did a reading lamp. The staff try their hardest to please. The room cleaning however left a lot to be desired. The lady was lovely but clearly had had no training in what is expected by guests nowadays. Our balcony was never cleaned at all except for us wiping the table with face wipes.
Weekdays there were plenty of sun loungers, albeit apt to collapse at any given moment. Weekends were a different matter when locals swamp the hotel, then it really is a case on towels out.
The lagoon is superb, warm and clear and a pleasure to cool off in. We didn’t fancy the look of the swimming pool, so stayed clear.
For us the entertainment at night was a huge irritation. So much noise for so few people. A massive thumbs down.
Our huge, huge bug bare however was the hygiene, particularly in the restaurant area. It isn’t helped by fellow guests who ignore the signs and continue to feed the cats and birds.
Basically the birds are continually on the tables looking for food, after being on the ground eating insects out of cat poo. They even go inside the restaurant pecking at the bread table. We didn’t once see a table washed between customers, the plastic mats are just given a shake and clean cutlery put down.
The salad bar and dessert counter are behind sliding doors which everyone has to touch. We tended to stick to grilled meats which were fresh and very nice.
WiFi is in the process of being available in the rooms.

In a nutshell Jalsa is in an outstanding setting and with a colossal amount of money pumped in could be superb.

The staff are some of the friendliest we have ever met on our travels but are in desperate need of proper training.

Everyone is given a questionnaire to fill in on departure, where we raised our concerns about the hygiene. Little did I know that it was coming back to bite me. Halfway into the 12 hour flight home I began to feel unwell with the worst tummy upset imaginable. Thankfully the seatbelt signs didn’t come on at all, as the last six hours in the air were spent in the loo.
With corona virus just kicking off (9th March) I had a telephone consultation with my GP and a sample specimen was sent to the labs. The result - Campylobacter- food poisoning of the worst kind, a notifiable disease in the UK. Without doubt picked up at Jalsa as we neither ate or drank anything at all outside of the hotel. Mercury holidays have been informed and must act.
This wasn’t simply holiday tummy, it was brought about by bad practice and must not be allowed to happen. I have spent 7 days in bed, and 10 trying to get my strength back.
So we did learn the hard way that a bargain isn’t necessarily a bargain.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucylocket24
Sanju64, General Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2020

Dear Lucylocket24,

Thank you for sharing your feedback as it is very important for the management and staff to understand the needs of our guests in order to continually improve the end product.
We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed many of the services and benefits Jalsa Beach has to offer. The location,the rooms, privacy, views and as you well noted, and some of the many advantageous we have on hand.

It is regrettable to hear that you did fell sick after leaving Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa. We wish to inform that the hotel does meet with the local regulations in regards to health, safety and hygiene .
We did not have any other reports of illness from any other guests who were staying among us , all were eating the same menus at meal time. Hope you get well soon and please stay safe.

We look forward to welcome you again for a better experience among us.

Reviewed 1 April 2020 via mobile

Where do I start, I have never been to such a disgusting Hotel in all life of my travelling this establishment should never be advertised by any UK Travel Agent as it is not fit to be even classed as Hotel.

I completely agree with other reviewers that were their in March we can’t all be wrong for bad reviews, I pride myself on cleanliness and I would expect the same as such from any establishment with a four star rating I cannot give this place any mark as it does not deserve one other than Hotel from Hell but unfortunately I have to tick a box which it does not deserve.

The Hygine Standards were non existent as they do not have any and with all this Covid Virus this place did not have any hot water or soap in the male wc pool block.

The so called swimming pool has a tarpaulin at the bottom of it to cover up missing tiles this is a hazard, cracked tiles in the pool black scum in and around the pool Warning do not attempt to swim in this pool.

Restaurant if that is what it was meant be, this is not fit to serve water let alone food the Chefs Whites were beyond believe absolutely disgusting they have never seen a washing machine, I would not serve a dog it’s food in this so called Restaurant, service trays disgusting windows never cleaned nothing has seen any soap or water it needs to be shut down it is a health hazard.

I could go on and on about the Jalsa but all the bad reviews are hard truthful facts about the hygiene and the hotel it’s self are completely true.

I do not normally write many reviews but honestly anyone who may be thinking about spending time at this so called Hotel in the future

I beg you please do not go, I would never say that to anyone as I am firm believer in making your mind up but on this occasion I feel you really need to be warned please do not book this place.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ROONEYDinasPowys
Sanju64, General Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2020

Dear ROONEYDinasPowys,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. The feedback we receive (positive/negative) serves a great 'tool' to assist the Team in identifying areas where improvement may be required. I am surprised and saddened by your comments on your stay at Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa.

Through many of the points mentioned in your review it has become clear to me that many of the difficulties experienced may have resulted in poor communication both at the travel agent office and the hotel. Perhaps this is a good time to remind potential travelers to Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa that the hotel is classified as a ''3* Superior'' by the Mauritius Authority and NOT a 4*.
We wish to inform that we do have a regular ongoing maintenance at the hotel. However due to COVID-19 and the lock down during your stay there have been a reduced staffing in the hotel service which we sincerely extend our apology. A note was sent to you all and the tour operator as well.
Some of the causes of complaint were isolated incidences which certainly are not the norm at Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa and this is reflected in the great number of wonderful reviews we have received from new and repeater guests. However the management is looking forward for some refurbishment.
I do recall having a meeting with you all during your stay to discuss all matters regarding the reduced services at the hotel and if ever you people have any issues as such.
I use this opportunity to encourage any guest at Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa to embrace our offer that the management and staff are here to assist our guests in any matter.

As we have had the luxury to meet at the hotel I will leave my comments here and again thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.

Stay safe.