“Something really different - great for those with an automotive interest.”
Review of The Carding Shed - MOVED

The Carding Shed
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Carding Shed is found in Holmfirth, a multi-venue attraction based around a vintage theme. It's a lovely place to visit for the car, coffee, and vintage enthusiast! Combining a Classic Car Display, Automobilia, Vintage Clothes Shop, Antiques Store, local hand made gifts, and the amazing serving freshly made Breakfasts, Lunches or Afternoon Tea all made from locally sourced products. So come join us, and feel as though you have stepped back in time! Free Parking on site.Open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Having spotted this place when scanning the area on Google Maps I was determined to find it. This proved a little difficult but by golly it was well worth the effort. Not only does it have a cafe full of character but also has an amazing collection of old cars, motor/bikes, memorabilia, etc. on show.
We only had a rather basic tea on this visit as we had to move on elsewhere but have every intention of returning soon to enjoy a more comprehensive meal and a further look around.

P.S. If you really want to get into the mood, by all means dress to suit the 50s+ era !!

TheCardingShed, Owner at The Carding Shed, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your lovely review and we do hope to see you again soon (in full 50's gear!)

All reviews
"step back in time"
"lovely food"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We love The Carding Shed. The new premises is absolutely fantastic, so much lighter and brighter than the old spot with all the same charm. I particularly love the gorgeous clothes in the vintage boutique.
The cafe is always busy when we go and we do sometimes have to wait for a table or to place an order but surely that is telling you something?! That it's popular and a lovely place to go. We don't mind a wait especially when you knew your lunch is being freshly prepared! And if you can't sit and enjoy a cuppa whilst waiting for your lunch for half an hour then you need to get some better company!
The food is gorgeous and well priced (anyone moaning it is expensive, if you want a £4.99 lunch then get yourselves back to Wetherspoons for a nice microwave meal!) The food is always fresh and homemade which is well worth paying for!
The disabled facilities are also excellent with everything being on one level, from the cafe to the shop to the car display area. This is something we always struggle with in the Holmfirth area.
I would 100% recommend this fabulous find to anyone who loves good food in interesting and different surroundings!

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We visited the Oil Can Cafe at its new premises for the first time this weekend. The new venue is nice, with the same quirky touches and vintage theme as the old setting.

Unfortunately we were really disappointed by the service. As other visitors have mentioned, there is waitress service but you have to queue to place your order. My husband joined the queue whilst I took my daughter to look at the vintage cars and shops. We were around 10 minutes and when we came back, the queue hadn't even moved. My daughter and I went to our table, to find someone else's order had been placed there (I don't know how long it had been there, but someone's soup was definitely getting cold!)

After finally ordering, we then waited another half an hour for our three drinks and two cakes to appear on the counter. There was no sign of anyone bringing them over, so my husband went to collect them, and complain about the poor service and waiting time. He was told that apparently half the staff had phoned in sick that morning. If that were the case, why not advise people before ordering that they were short staffed, and the wait time would be longer than usual? It would then up to the customer to decide whether to stay or not. We would have liked to have been given the choice as to whether we wanted to wait 45 minutes for three drinks and two cakes, or go somewhere else. I understand that being short staffed is unavoidable, but not advising the customers of this is really poor service. And reading other reviews, I can't help but think that staff calling in sick wasn't the only issue - the ordering system needs to be looked at. Until it is, we won't be rushing to come back.

1  Thank Becky K

Hi Becky,

Thank you for your review and we always take on board all comments as we continually review both our food and service.

However, the manner in which your husband conducted himself on my premises was quite simply unacceptable. His aggressive and threatening manner towards our Front of House staff was foul and to the point that other customers came to our team members to ensure they were okay afterwards because they were concerned for them. If I had been in the cafe at the time, your husband would have been removed immediately and I will reiterate now that he is not welcome back after intimidating and behaving in such a vile manner.

We try our very best at busy times and in difficult situations where we may perhaps be understaffed because of unforeseen circumstances. However, any sensible person can see when a place is busy and simply be patient and understanding seeing staff members working hard. If you cannot wait half an hour for your order then perhaps you need to get some better company!

Reviewed 24 June 2018

The cafe is superb, same great menu, same great service but the vintage shopping experience is greatly reduced and clothing much more expensive, I wasn’t I terested in the vintage motors, I wanted more vintage clothing/memorabilia, great location though.

Thank you for your review.

We are glad you enjoyed the cafe. I can assure you that we have not reduced our clothing and shop boutiques we have just combined the mens and womens shops to make it easier for our lovely shop assistants to serve. We have also not increased prices within the shop as we still stock the same wonderful brands we always have.