We have just got back from an 11 night stay from this lovely hotel.
The check in was very organised and slick. We were greeted as soon as we got off the coach and shown to some comfy seats in the reception area where we were given drinks and cold towels. The check in was carried out there. We were then told to wait with our cases and that someone would take us to our rooms and within minutes the golf buggy arrived and took us.
The rooms were spacious and we had a lovely sea view of the cove.
One great thing about this all inclusive was not having to wear a tag round your wrist! The food was of a good standard as were the drinks. At dinner time, wine in bottles was put on the table if you wanted wine, so you weren't having to constantly ask for a top up. There are three speciality restaurants. What I didn't realise was that you can only book one per week. The first one we tried was the oriental one. Unfortunately the waitress was very rude to my mum and daughter and later on she was having a full blown row with a colleague so that wasn't great. The food was a little over cooked and we were given a wine list with prices on it but not told that we could have the free all inclusive wine so we stuck to water because we didn't really want to pay for wine.
The sun beds were probably the thing that amazed me the most, there was absolutely no reserving and although the hotel states no reserving they didn't have to enforce the rule as no-one did it. There were empty beds well after 9 o'clock so there was none of the usual having to get up mega early to reserve a bed.
The hotel is spotlessly clean, everyone works really hard. The entertainment team were good, I loved their morning songs at 10am each morning. They are very good at telling you what is going on for the day and will walk round the pool to remind you that something is starting but they don't pressure you in to partaking which I liked. We saw a couple of shows and there is a children's disco on most nights, overall there are lots of activities for children.
There were a few downsides to the holiday but this is in no way a reflection of the hotel. Firstly, I have never seen so many children at a hotel, especially under 5's, even in the height of summer and our trip was September. This does mean that wherever you go you can pretty much guarantee that there is a child kicking off. We tried sitting by one of the other pools which we thought was quieter and it wasn't and we also started to eat a lot later but there were still a lot of children around. Don't get me wrong, I like children but it really was very noisy most of the time so I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway!
Secondly the transfer time from Chania airport is around two and a half hours, so be prepared for a longish, hot coach ride.
Internet is not available in the hotel rooms but it was accessible around the pools, in reception and in fact if we just stood outside our room we could pick up the wifi from there. The hotel don't charge for this nor do they charge for the safe which some hotels have started doing. It was my birthday while we were there and the hotel delivered a cake to the room which was a really nice touch.
We had a day trip to Knossos and also to Spinalonga. Knossos is not for the feint hearted and I wouldn't recommend it for those with mobility problem. Spinalonga was a good trip but it was a very long day, nearly 11 hours so was quite tiring.
I would heartedly recommend this for families, it really is a nice, family hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Club Marine Palace an all-inclusive Luxury is built like a typical Cretan village. Lemon, mandarin and vanilla-coloured bungalows surround the large swimming pools. A winding path meanders between the main building, the cluster of bungalows on the upper level and the seafront bungalow village. Marine Palace Suites The beautiful Marine Palace Suites are the epitome of luxury and style. The setting is spectacular, a fine cocktail of captivating sea views, blissful serenity combined with the more active life at the Grecotel Club Marine Palace. The suites, built in a peaceful area above the main hotel, encircle a tranquil pool surrounded by free sun beds & umbrellas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grecotel Club Marine Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grecotel Club Marine Palace Hotel Rethymnon
- Grecotel Hotel Marine Palace