See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 December 2014

The Yuyang Hotel in Jixian describes itself as the first four-star hotel in Jixian County. That's not boasting for China, where better hostels often claim to have five stars. You can get various kinds of rooms here, from simple yet clean places for the price of a fast food dinner in New York to the ultra-pricey variant that only a country billionaire with an eighties fetish could love. The beds are, like in most local hotels in China, rock hard and you will find evidence of cheapo-construction but I have seen a lot less satisfying places in China, so this goes into the alright-for-one-night category.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

...I assume if you are booking this hotel it is part of a package where you don't get a choice or it is a budget oriented trip to the Great Wall? If so, then your expectations should be realistic and you won't be too disappointed with what you get. If this Hotel was in Tokyo, Beijing City, Singapore, London, it would be a 'Terrible' vote but the fact is, it probably wouldn't exist in any of those Cities as it is a different proposition here (and it would also probably be closed down!). But we have to remember where it is and the market it serves. The vast majority of International guests must be here to see the Great Wall and in that regard it is an OK choice. I too was on the Great Wall Marathon package so I didn't really have an option. It is close to a stunning section of The Wall (bus ride of 30-40 minutes). That's about it I'm afraid! There are impressive photos of the pool and spa areas in the guest book but, alas, all closed and I didn't get a feeling of confidence that they would reopen soon! The room is an old relic from the 70's. Worn and stained carpets, broken curtains, decrepit furniture, old box TV with no Western news channels. No fridge, no safe, no drinking water!! WiFi now works in the room and the shower is OK! The bed, oh the bed; hard spring mattress and worn old sheets. Food: Just awful. This is definitely more like a hostel than a hotel. I stumbled into the kitchens by mistake (not difficult) and they were disgustingly filthy. In fact, any of the back corridors where the staff move around look dangerously squalid, broken tiles, dirt, back-room (cooks etc) staff have no correct clothing. However, need to remember where we are and why we are here. I actually moved my flight forward a day so I could get out of here sooner! But it could be OK if you are on a rough guide adventure to The Wall.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank adlynmeg
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed here as part of the Great Wall Marathon package. I was on the 7th floor, no safe, no fridge, no bath. However my friend who was a couple of levels below me (I think on the 4th floor) had a lovely room with bath, fridge, safe and even a desktop!! So there you go!

Breakfast was terrible, orange juice was warm, they had no idea. However it has to be said that the pasta dinner the night before the marathon was quite nice! No Grana Padana or reggiano, but it is rural China after all. Staff did try, but as usual no English spoken making things a little difficult. I tried to get an iron, you would have thought I had asked for the crown jewels.

No coffee in the room bring your own! Milk too.

Adequate Wi Fi in the lobby that faces the street and perfectly positioned for getting to a remote section of the wall.

Room tip: Rooms vary greatly. I paid the same price as my friend, she had a very spacious bathroom (with a bath), a safe, fridge and even a desktop. I on the other had had none of these conveniences 7.
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

I guess you get what you pay for. Stayed here as part of a marathon tour on the Great Wall. The rooms were all poorly serviced (I asked others in same tour). No sanitary tissue, the carpet had not been vacuumed, no iron, no safe, and no wifi. Plus side; they do have wired Internet in the rooms, wifi in the lobby, in hotel restaurant, snd apparently they are green by saving electricity and not vacuuming. They do have a bed, TV, slippers, and towels.

Date of stay: May 2013
1  Thank Kaoba
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel as part of a marathon package. It was great. It is a quick walk to the town square and convenient starting point to get to a more remote section of the Great Wall.

Date of stay: May 2010