All reviews rh dr family meal the pub railway lock
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Although there was only the four of us in the restaurant area, we were treated excellently, with first class service throughout.

The food was really great and very reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this to other people, although booking is advised.

Room tip: Not stopped here as live locally, so unable to comment.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Very aggressive reaction when I mentioned the loud music from the birthday function that was taking place and stopped us sleeping. The shower was a cold dribble and the pitched ceiling over the loo ensures a hard knock to the head. Shocking rudeness.

Rather sad as, believe it or not, my great-grandfather was actually Captain Howey and this was a trip with my mother that she was keen to take with me for the first time as an adult. We were special guests for the 90th anniversary of the RHDR invited by the heritage group. I can't believe they're using his name for profit , yet screaming abuse at his direct descendants! It's a pub with rooms, not a hotel.

We won't return here. Broadacres are much better. Luckily the RHDR events we intend to visit frequently were so fantastic they saved the weekend. I've given them one star as Amanda was v kind to us and drove us to a restaurant nearby since the pub was too noisy to eat in.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Lynb097
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Run by a wonderful family John & Christine can not do enough for you. I stay at least 5 times per year. Both the breakfast and Sunday lunch have the wow factor. Plenty of places to visit, you have the smallest train in the country opposite the howey, You can catch the train to Dymchurch and the beautiful blue flag beach.

Date of stay: December 2016
2  Thank Lesley J
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Very friendly family run establishment. Rooms fine, clean and functional, lovely and warm. Excellent breakfast, well cooked with top ingredients.
Nice bar - downside no real ale.
The outside looks a little off-putting, could do with freshening up. Don't let this put you off, the inside is fine.
Recommended, would stay again.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Captainhowey, Owner at Captain Howey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Thanks very much for your kind remarks, but I do need to pick you up on one point. We have two real ales on our bar at all times. At this moment we have Courage Best and Doombar, both which are very popular with our customers.
I hope we see you again on another visit, at which time I'll get you a pint of real ale of your choice.
Regards
John Davis

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel last year, we decided to rebook.
Excellent choice, warm room, fresh towels, very clean. Breakfast was excellent, fresh tomatoes and proper tasty sausages, not rubbish that you would normally get.
If anyone decided to stay in Romney, I would suggest this hotel. Can't fault it!!

Date of stay: March 2017