Belle Vue(Queenstown)
  • Free Internet
Buxton Lodge(Queenstown)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 October 2014

We went to go watch the SA-New Zealand rugby game at the bar. Decent bar with enough TVs to enjoy sport on over the weekend.

The Casino itself is okay regarding gambling facilities. Does not match up to other casino's in bigger cities but should be sufficient for the average gambler.

We did not stay at the hotel itself so can't rate that.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2014 via mobile

Having read previous reviews, I almost didn't fillow through with booking......a very pleasant, spanking new, beautifully decorated and comfortable hotel. Rooms clean, spacious, big beds and modern. the parking is safe, rooms quiet and removed from casino. yes....no room service but bar at casino does take-outs and breakfast is good and the staff very friendly......This is a great addition to the N6 route......and.....we found a golf course about 3 km away and had a good round.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My fiancé and I spent a weekend at this hotel thinking it would probably be the best option to stay at in a small town. We couldn't have been more wrong.

To begin with there is no telephone or internet available in the rooms. There is no mini-bar. The weekend we stayed there we were told there would be no room service despite the room service menu that was in our rooms. The manager promptly told us that if she does take the order for room service she couldn't guarantee that it would be delivered. The only dinner available was at the casino restaurant- a buffet that ran out and they refused to replenish it as it was close to the end of the staffs shift. The bar menu was the only other option and this took 1hr through non-existent service to be ordered and brought to us. We ended up eating at 22:00 when we had started our in room dining escapade at 19:00. The manager on-duty even went so far as to ask why we would even want in room dining and asked if we didn't rather want to drive out and buy takeaways from the nearby fast-food establishments.

The experience though was not altogether terrible since we had a decent sized room and it was clean. But that was about all.

Breakfast was a joke. We were told they do not prepare omelettes over the weekend - ??? Their fruit looked abused. And they had a limited selection in terms of hot vs cold breakfast options. At some point they ran out coffee mugs and we had to wait whilst new ones were taken out of boxes and washed to be used. The excuse being they were fully booked and they did not expect that number of guests with two conferences over that weekend. To be honest they did seem a bit understaffed but I must commend one waitress who did her best to make us comfortable despite the odds, by the name of Akhona. She seemed the only one properly trained in hospitality and guest relations.

Then there was the fiasco of having some of the rooms not attached to the hotel and situated across the road from the main hotel and casino buildings. This necessitated buzzing the very cold and unfriendly security staff to open the security gates every time we needed to access our rooms. So a yes for security but a definite no for convenience, location or customer service.

To say I was disappointed by the overall service and experience I had at the hotel would be a gross understatement. I promptly told all my family and friends upon my return about my experience at this hotel and urged them to choose any other alternative they can find should they ever find themselves in Queenstown.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay at.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Stayed here for one night whilst in Queenstown on business. The hotel is a no frills place with spacious rooms - unfortunately internet not available in the rooms - , a decent breakfast and friendly staff. The hotel is right next to the casino where one is directed for dinner. This was not very impressive, though the sports bar, also in the casino had a good vibe going. The breakfast was nice with a good variety and quality. The hotel reminded me a bit of the City Lodge hotels I stay in frequently when travelling; always OK, but never blows your socks off. OK for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business