“Absolutely fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Lydney
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Warm Friendly Country Pub Located In The Forest Of Dean🌲 Fresh & Local Pub Food 🍴Quality Ales 🍻 & Wines 🍷 Dog Friendly 🐶, Beer Garden ☀️
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

I have been to the rising sun countless times now for both food and casual drinks. I’ve never had a bad meal in there. The food is generous portions and a great pub menu. Quite possibly some of the nicest chips I’ve ever eaten! The staff are always friendly and attentive. Soph is always going above and beyond for her customers making sure everyone’s visit is as comfortable as can be. If you like gin then this is the pub to be in the Forest of Dean. She has a fantastic range of Gins on the special gin shelf.

I spent bank holiday Sunday and Monday there sitting in the beer garden enjoying the sunshine with my friends, we loved it that much we just had To go back on the Monday and enjoy the great weather and great food and drink.

If your looking for a great place for a bit of pub grub and a cosy and warm, friendly atmosphere then I highly recommend here. Dogs are also welcome here which is fantastic if your out walking and fancy popping in for a cold beer.

I cannot wait for my next visit there, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed!!

1  Thank sarahjanecooke

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Under new ownership for about two months now with expansion of kitchen and general pub opening hours. Very much a classic English village pub. Off the beaten track in a rural setting - but relatively easy to find.

Friendly locals and lovely attentive staff. Simple, typical Brit pub food but turned out exceptionally well by a professional Kitchen team. Chips actually are hand cut - as you pass the kitchen you see the prep work being done. A really nice touch. Steaks are done well and at a competitive price.

Good choice of ales and a decent German premium lager. Also a good wine list. Being a village pub, it won’t surprise you that they are dog friendly and horse friendly.

If you want posh gastro pub with all the trimmings, you need to look elsewhere. If you want cosy warm atmosphere, friendly service and first class food this is the place.

I dined here two nights in a row and I will have no hesitation returning very soon.

1  Thank tromsopete
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Our 15 year old son loved his “Man Vs Food” style burger that the staff of the Rising Sun created as a special request. The atmosphere was relaxed, friendly and warm. You must try the burger ... even if it’s “just” the deliciously succulent “standard” burger from the menu. We’ll definitely be back!

1  Thank Emma L
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

This is the second visit to the rising sun and the food again was outstanding. I had the chicken goujons and my friend had the prawns to start followed by homemade lasanage and bangers and mash which she replaced with chips instead. Great value for money and locally sourced ingredients. Highly recommended to anyone visiting the area and Sooh as usual goes above and beyond. Thank you for another great visit

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely Sunday meal with my family. Coped well with serving a large (11) group of people. Could do with some garden games to occupy children.