See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 November 2015 via mobile

When I got to the gate of Xidi, I called the hotel and someone came to take me to the hotel. He even wheeled my luggage from the gate to the hotel. After I checked in, he wheeled my luggage all the way to my room.

The room was clean and the bathroom was fairly large.

I ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was satisfying. The free Chinese style breakfast was nice as well. It is possible to order a western breakfast for a reasonable additional charge.

This hotel was a good starting point for exploration of Xidi.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

Very well located and charming. The property is excellent although the grounds are somewhat rundown and I couldn't believe how badly kept the garden was after having read some of the reviews here. No complaints about the rooms though, clean and very well maintained. This is a great option to explore Xidi and nearby villages.
The staff was attentive and warm and we had one of our best meals in China here, the food was excellent and the setting very quaint.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2015

This was a real "back in time" overnight stop for us. within a craft village which had me parting with lots of money, as every shop was also a workshop of a very talented craftsman. Location is fabulous, loads of art students were painting the view as it is very scenic and ideal for us travelling to the yellow Mountains the next day.This hotel's reputation probably suffers from our 21st century expectations of internet coverage everywhere and pristine white and clean hotel rooms, personally I love the historic feel and the way they have tried to blend the authentic with the modern things we take for granted, like hot running water. An earlier review says it was not welcoming-probably because all staff are working, rather than just sitting on reception twiddling their thumbs, this is not a huge hotel that can afford that luxury. We called out until someone came, they quickly got Joseph the translator/manager whose English was brilliant and who we had some interesting chats with. He helped us learn more Mandarin Chinese (why do us holiday makers always insist the locals learn English, it's just a little effort to try and it's really appreciated). He was helpful with how to make the best of our stay, recommended meals and things to do, I felt it was like when I welcome a friend to my house, I tell them the quirky bits about the house like you can only get 20 minutes hot water as the boiler's ancient, so shower one after the other, without turning the shower off in between. Maybe the European perception of a Travel Lodge is based on the soul less, bog standard, square box type rooms we get in the UK and USA on the side of major roads, used by long distance travellers who just want to shower and sleep, if that is what you want then don't chose this hotel. If you want a genuine flashback in history but with a few mod cons then I can't recommend this place enough. We will be looking at the other hotels in this Culture Group for the future as a break from the hustle and bustle. My only complaint (sorry, make that comment because it's not really a complaint) would be that the flat screen T.V. was unnecessary and not in keeping with the hotels ethos;-but then maybe that was there to keep guests like maria 1 happy. Myself I was more than happy to have a hot, tasty, reasonably priced meal in a private dining room, last painted about 100 years ago (but clean) and then go back to my room to play Mah-jong or read a book.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
SilkRoadHotel_Mgt, Public Relations Manager at Xidi Travel Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2015

Dear LynneBuddin,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Xidi Travel Lodge, which offers authentic cultural experience. We are excited to tell you that our new cultural hotel, Baicao Hermitage, is in service now in Shaoxing, Zhejiang Province. We look forward to serving you soon!

Have a nice week ahead!

Best regards,
May Lee
Corporate Communications Manager

Reviewed 20 May 2015 via mobile

This place is in a great location to explore xidi from .I organised my own transport to get to the hotel.
I would have to say that ,this would probably be the least welcoming hotel I have ever stayed at in china.
It was more than the fact that the staff spoke little English, they just seemed unprepared to help with even basic information and were not at all welcoming .

Date of stay: April 2015
1  Thank WuhanLeonie
Reviewed 13 April 2015

we stayed at this hotel for two nights.the rooms we were given were very damp, even the loo paper was wet and the floors were always wet. mold was growing in areas ,the walls were badly stained.sadly the water in the shower was not even lukewarm. my room was not cleaned or serviced.

Date of stay: March 2015