“Wouldn't rush back”

The Jolly Fisherman Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
The Jolly Fisherman Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 5 Restaurants in Craster
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Been coming to Craster now for 7 years and each time call in at the Fisherman and leave with the same opinion, expensive average "glammed up" food, on this occasion called in on a quiet evening at 6.00pm and asked for a menu, was told by the barman, "I'll have to have a word with chef to see if he is prepared to do you any food". Must admit never heard this in any pub or restaurant EVER before, sorry if we're putting him to any trouble but we were under the impression that the sign outside said indicated that we may get fed.
Great unrivaled views from the terrace, seating could be better if the tables were level, nice friendly staff, good beer.

1  Thank Andy N
david_whitehead8, Owner at The Jolly Fisherman Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Andy N
I was informed this morning about a gentleman who stormed out of the pub because he couldn't get food there and then. The reason we ask chef is if you haven't booked (which you hadn't ) and we have a full restaurant which we did (60 covers.) we check to see what time we can sit you in the bar to take pressure off the kitchen and give best quality service and food. If you've been 7 times then surely you'd have come across this before !!
There was a gentleman standing next to you who was next in line and asked the same question and with in 2 mins was told that it was fine so I think you left a little haistily. The tables have levellers on them that are adjusted. This can happen in an old pub with uneven floors. I know a lot of people read these replys and think that I'm rude to the customer....couldn't be further from the truth. I take everything personally as I put a lot of hard work into this business to keep everything right, when it's constructive I take onboard, when it's just ignorance to the business and the hard work we all put in then I will say something. After all why should I not reply my thoughts.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 128)

20 - 24 of 2 129 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a nice walk to the castle and despite my previous review if this place, thought we would giv it another try! WRONG !!! we arrived to bursquley be told they weren't serving food but you could get something at the cabin .. where friendly rats are running about and the member of staff serving had just finished his cigarette and didnt wash his hands !! so we didnt eat had an overpriced beer and left!
The comments from the "owner" of this establishment are amusing.. He knows hes doing it wrong and hasn't a clue about customer service, so seems to have to make disrespectful comments when anyone dares questions him about this rip off pub.. The food is from Hartlepool brought in on the cheap nothing locally sourced the bar staff are rude and incompetent the food is ok but for the prices you pay... its a total con. Sadly the owners of this establishment have a hold over the village owning the best located pub and tea room near by. Sad to see go elsewhere!

I'll take notice if the constructive comments not the key board warrior comments....i think it's jealousy....just my opinion though!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A lovely place. Sadly the deck with the amazing views on the sea was completely full so we had to do with a table in the bar. However, we got served quickly and the food was exquisite. We had some of the fish dishes and they were really nice!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited last night with my boyfriend for a meal -we had previously called for a drink earlier in the year and both said we wanted to come back for food and sit in the window seat and therefore requested this upon booking. We were lucky with the weather and had a seat right by the window looking over to Dunstanburgh Castle. Food was amazing - I had the soup to start followed by prawn and spinach risotto with sea bream which was delicious- best risotto I’ve had! Could talk until the cows came home about how nice our night was with yourselves and we can’t wait to return! Will certainly recommend!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A colleague recommended this fantastic pub/restaurant and it was faultless. We booked in advance for a party of 10 hungry cyclists for an evening meal. We had to pay a £5/person deposit in advance which was understandable given the size of our party. The location is amazing with stunning views out to see. The welcome, food and beer were just fantastic.

Whilst the food speciality is fish, which is understandable given the location, they also had other options including steaks, chicken and a very tasty burger.

We all agreed that it was a great recommendation and I would have no hesitation in recommending this place.

I will be back.