All reviews the pub steak well stocked mini bar haddock chorizo an extensive wine list fresh milk by the glass first class standard room underfloor heating walk in shower separate building cooked to perfection booked a table great meal excellent food
Reviewed 30 October 2018

Why would you want to visit the Crown restaurant in Stoke-by-Nayland?

Well you might like its position in the centre of this pretty village, or the fact that it, or at least a part of it, has stood there since 1530, though it has been sympathetically extended since then. You might particularly like the exceptional courtyard garden, where on an early autumn evening you could sit outside with an aperitif, and glimpse the distant river-bank copses across the fields, and, between the gorgeous flowering planters, some of your fellow diners, discretely segregated.

Inside, by early evening, the several dining areas throngingly accommodate a largely grey-pound clientele. The menu has good variety, prices are about average. The wine-list is extended and helpful. Our party was generally satisfied with what they had ordered; my view was that the duck cassoulet was a little on the desiccated side. Another thought it over-flavoured. You can’t please everyone.

Service however was haphazard, and the sense of welcome, such as it was, seemed formulaic. There is no waiting uniform so you have to guess: anyone who looks like a student is probably a waitress. Orders were forgotten, misdirected, incorrect more frequently than one might reasonably expect. Despite having arrived early in the evening, we abandoned our hope of pudding as the minutes before our next engagement slipped by.

More than a busy pub? I am not sure, and it's hard to rate. It suffers I suspect from populitis, just too many covers for the size of the kitchen and the training of front-of-house staff. It cries out for a visible maitre d’ to bang a few heads together. I am going to give it 3 stars, which is harsh, but then, on the basis of our visit, 4 would be too generous.

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank R H
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

Staying at The Crown was somewhere that we had wanted to do for a while. It didn’t disappoint. The rooms are lovely, very comfortable and quiet . Dinner in the restaurant was delicious and breakfast faultless. Staff were friendly and polite. A perfect place to stay.

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

Husband & I went for Sunday lunch. We hadn’t booked, so weren’t sure we’d get a table! After being greeted by a lovely young lady at the bar, she told us there would be a wait of approx. 40mins! No problem, we ordered drinks & read the menu. After about 20mins we were offered a table, great! Our order was taken promptly & the food arrived in the same way. Lovely menu choices, & with the daily fish board as well, I define anybody not to find something they like! The one thing about The Crown is that it’s consistent, which can be rare nowadays, def. 10/10.

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I just had a really lovely lunch at The Crown. Made to feel welcome from the moment we entered, the service was excellent. I have an egg intolerance, which was very well catered for. The waitress double-checked everything with the chef before I ordered, and I was able to have a lovely meal. The curried parsnip soup was very good, as was the steak and kidney pudding. Both served piping hot and very fresh. I was limited with the desserts, due to my egg intolerance, but was able to have the honey panacotta with poached quince and hazelnuts. This was to die for! My husband was equally as pleased with what he had, a beetroot and feta salad for starter, followed by the steak and kidney pud, then a selection of Locksley ice cream for dessert. Lovely ambiance in the pub, which was very busy considering it was mid-week. Would advise booking a table rather than just turning up. Overall, I would thoroughly recommend The Crown. We will be back!

Reviewed 17 October 2018

Took the wife out for a special occasion and had this place in mind as it had received good reviews. Arrived to find myself seated next to someone wearing a vest running shorts, barefoot and sweaty, as I had dressed for dinner, discreetly asked to be moved away, from the local builders who looked like they had all just finished work for the day. I work in construction so am not averse to sitting in cafes and site huts to eat, just didn,t expect it at a place that is supposed to produce fine dining.
Dinner/starter arrived pidgeon excellent well cooked and presented wife ate and enjoyed similar, started to loosen up and enjoy, only 2 steaks on menu, expensive price for a rump but went for it, nothing special overpriced. Wife had seabass well cooked and presented but again 1 small/medium fillet?? Where was the rest of it? Maybe it was a bad night but the ordering and the billing went wrong, items missing from the bill which I asked to be added and coffee overlooked. Overall an experience similar to a chain not a bespoke diner. If you are looking for a slap up meal not for you. If you are looking for a romantic meal definetly not. Pop in for a pint with friends and family and get hit in the nuts, this is the place, you can pose to your hearts content.

Room tip: Average restaurant
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple