“Last pub in england”

Price range: US$8 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Rural country pub in the centre of the village of Staunton just short of the Welsh border, specialising in local real ales and good quality food sourced locally whenever we can. We have a 5 star food hygiene award. We are on several walks in the Forest of Dean and welcome walkers (even with muddy boots!) Dogs also welcome. We have a large beer garden where you can relax in good weather. Also there is an in-house café and shop for purchases of basic shopping and local produce. For events and opening hours please check the website as these change during the seasons.
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Six of us ate here with our dog on a Wednesday lunchtime. We were on a family break and ate out at different places everyday and this was definitely the best food, really good. Well worth a visit very friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank Darrin A

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

When I come back to the UK I am always dreading the British eating experience !

But on this occasion I was highly impressed with
a) the food
b) the waiting staff
c) the ambiance

And I will be going back in a minute for Sunday lunch ;-)

Reviewed 15 October 2018

A great pub with excellent and interesting food. A group off us attended prior to a hen weekend and the owners were very accommodating both with dietary needs..gluten intolerance, vegetarians etc, plus due to weather and poor navigation we turned up in dribs and drabs but the team at the pub dealt with this fairy and professionally. Well worth the visit. Thank you

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are staying in a village in the Forest of Dean and we’re looking for somewhere to eat. We found this pub on trip advisor and thought we might as well try it.

What a delightful place, they had the wood burners going (it’s a windy wet night) and the staff were very friendly and most welcoming, all this added to the relaxing ambience. The menu was inviting and the specials menu even more so. There was so much choice and anything & everything on the menus sounded wonderful.

We didn’t have a starter as we knew we would like a dessert. I ordered welsh lamb with garlic & spring onion mash potatoes, buttered vegetables and a red currant jus. Beautiful presented on the plate, the jus was exotic and the whole meal excited my taste buds - it was also filling although I did manage a raspberry pavlova!! My husband had chicken breast with dauphinois potatoes, buttered vegetables and a red currant & blueberry jus which he said was amazing. He also had a dessert but this time he had a cappuccino roulade & ice cream.

What a wonderful find - if you are ever in Staunton or nearby - make sure you go to the white horse inn for an evening meal, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank 23y_titch
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

Very varied choice of menu with some unusual but delightful sauces. I could have had any of the desserts but have to say the cappuccino roulade was to die for! Service was prompt and the atmosphere with the wood burner was welcoming on a wet and windy night. Shame we are only visiting the area for the weekend but if we are in the area again .....