“Terrific Sunday Lunch ”

Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Rural country pub in the centre of the village of Staunton just short of the Welsh border, specialising in local real ales and good quality food sourced locally whenever we can. We have a 5 star food hygiene award. We are on several walks in the Forest of Dean and welcome walkers (even with muddy boots!) Dogs also welcome. We have a large beer garden where you can relax in good weather. Also there is an in-house café and shop for purchases of basic shopping and local produce. For events and opening hours please check the website as these change during the seasons.
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Our third visit to this lovely place.
Outstanding food again! Superb quality and wonderfully tasty. Food here is of a very high standard and is why we keep returning to visit. Very friendly staff and great service. Food was served nice & hot and presented to a high standard.

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Great vibe, great food, very dog friendly.

One of my favourite pubs in the UK!

They even have pods in the beer garden so if you drink too much you can stay the night!

1  Thank Saskialick
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

My wife called and booked a table here for 6pm the 6th of may a week ago but on arriving the young man behind the bar said the kitchen had closed at 6?
We where there at 6:07 being we are on holiday and don't know the area it took us 40 minutes to drive there as my wife had seen good reviews and picked it.
The young man said he would ask if the kitchen was still open.... Suddenly we have the chef/ owner I'm not sure telling us with a real attitude that he had been cooking since 7:30am and wasn't willing to do us food ( we didn't ask him to before he said this anyway) we asked if they could recommend anywhere but they half heartedly said a pub quickly and didn't offer directions, seemed to just want us to leave, we decided to just go, at which point he said "sorry but your 10 minuets late" sarcastically?!? And then ran off?!? Very strange way to treat anyone if you ask me.

My points are
1: they took a booking at 6 knowing they don't do food then
2: we didn't make this man work at/own a successful business where he's working long hours
3: 10 minutes late for a booking isn't really late especially when he wouldn't have served us at 6 anyway!
4: we wouldn't have been rude to the staff if our food came out slightly late
5: not even getting an apology for there mistake?

I can only go by our experience and recommend the you don't rely on there bookings and don't expect to be treated with any customer care at this pub, can't advise on the food as they didn't want the custom.

2  Thank miller210685
TheWhiteHorseInn, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Dear miller210685,

I’m very sorry you felt you had to write such a damning review - you booked a table for 6 o’clock and I will hold myself responsible for you not being told that we take last orders at 6. You arrived at 6:14pm to correct your statement, and the chef refused to serve you. He may have not dealt with the situation extremely well which I do apologise for. However, there was no apology on your side that you turned up late when we’d been waiting around for just you to turn up for 45 minutes (also no phone call to let us know of such). We’d served 130 that day in very high temperature; the chef in the searing heat of a working kitchen. At the end of the day, it’s the chefs decision and his decision was to not serve anymore meals, for that I apologise! I also don’t think your statement of what he says as being sarcastic and “then he ran off” was correct. No sarcasm was meant - you were late. He also “ran off” to continue working. Furthermore, if you had arrived at 6 (or moreover, slightly early like anybody else) we would have happily served you.

As you can see from our other reviews we are a very friendly and welcoming pub - we're only human; we aren’t robots. I have private messaged you, but no response.

Kind regards,

Hayley

Reviewed 6 May 2018

We visited here for an evening meal towards the end of our holiday in the area and wished we had found it sooner. The owners were very welcoming, to us and our dog. The food was excellent and reasonably priced.

1  Thank CathyMorris
Reviewed 4 May 2018

This is our local restaurant and we love it.
Dog friendly in the bar area recently had Sunday lunch, high quality locally sourced ingredients well presented and delicious. The wild garlic soup was amazing and the roast with all the trimmings was top notch.